Cowl Light For Firetruck? Small Spotlight?

Jon37

I'll soon be selling some items on Ebay to benefit our local AACA (Bull Run Region). However, I've found a pair of items that I don't know how to list.

Light-2.jpg?t=1261945034

Light-1.jpg?t=1261945097

They look like very large 1920's-30's cowl lights but have round, non-adjustable mirrors on the back. The lights have reflectors and bayonet-type lamps, the lenses are clear and the L-shaped bracket has two adjustments on it (for the light? for the mirror?). The shell of the light is 5" diameter at the widest spot, the depth (front of light to back of mirror) is 5", and diameter of mirror including bezel, is 4-1/8".

The tubular mounting bracket is off center on the light and, curiously, both lights are identical. There's not a "left" and "right". There's an elliptical identification plate riveted to the side but it's blank!

Was this off a truck? Fire truck? Or maybe a speedboat or even train? Because the wiring is plastic-covered and not fabric-covered, I'm thinking that these are either from the 1950's or later, or that they were restored in recent years.

I won't ask the value; we'll get whatever's bid on these items. But if you could give me some idea of the type of vehicle they might have been used on, I'd be grateful.

I have see these before, but I always thought they were a rear view mirror with a search light combo. This the first one that I have seen chromed. The other ones that I have seen bofore have always been black. Also the other ones that I have seen have had a clamp on the end where the wires come out to attach to the windshield frame.