flathead pistons and 8n ford tractor pistons

Guest knightman

Guest knightman

does anyone know if the pistons for the 239 flathead v8 are the same ones used in the 8n ford i know both have the same bore and stroke thanks

Guest DeSoto Frank

The tractor pistons may have a different "pin to crown height" for lower compression ratio; tractors were designed to run on low-grade fuels ( cheap!).... IIRC, CR on an N-model Ford tractor is around 4.5:1. Probably lower than the automotive version.

Which engine are you trying to source pistons for ?

Guest knightman

i was just wondering if they were the same as i have 6 good standard pistons for the 239 i recently redone some 8n and i remembered they had the same bore ,stroke and pin sizes thanks for your help i will measure the height of the pistons also i noticed the pistons from the v8 fit the sleeves for the 8n so i wll go from here thanks for the reply knightman

Guest DeSoto Frank

Don't know about the compatability; measure carefully before trying them out.

If there's no clearance issues with the head, they will probably work; if they give a higher compression ratio, then your 8-N will have a little more power than stock.

Shouldn't be an operating issue unless you're running distillate or kerosene in your tractors !

The N tractor engine was also available in the '40-'42 Ford truck, and is indeed basically one-half of a flathead V-8.

I've also been told by old-timers that they used to use flathead Plymouth pistons in the Gravely model L walk-behinds...

Guest knightman

thanks for the reply it makes sense that they would be inter changable as os many other things on the flatheads were thanks again and merry christmas knightman