Positive ground ?

Guest stuckon50s

Guest stuckon50s

Does anyone know if dodge used a positive ground in 1953, Thanks ! :confused:

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Guest stuckon50s

Thanks, now things are starting to make sense ! Bill

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Guest stuckon50s

Yes, they did read backwards, the lights worked fine, but when I turned the key, the amp gauge was reading a charge. The horn didn't suck, it worked fine,but once upon a time, I ran a jumper wire from my brothers brake light switch to the horn ( boy was he upset when he figured it out:)

Guest broker-bob

I have two 30s Mopars have two general questions for the members 1---why did they not make steel cover the intire roof they had the fabric in the middle and 2---was there any propose for the Positive ground-------------and why did the industry go to negitive-----------------------thanks----------------Broker Bob ----------- bobnroman@yahoo.com

Edited by broker-bob (see edit history)

Guest windjamer
Yes, they did read backwards, the lights worked fine, but when I turned the key, the amp gauge was reading a charge. The horn didn't suck, it worked fine,but once upon a time, I ran a jumper wire from my brothers brake light switch to the horn ( boy was he upset when he figured it out:)

<INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick=jsCall(); type=hidden>

:DI like it,wonder if I can get my hands on my son-in-laws new truck.:D:D

Way back when, the steel mills could only make sheet steel of limited width. The steel was not wide enough to make a whole car roof in one piece. So they made the roof in pieces and welded it together at the corners then covered the hole in the middle with a vinyl top type of material.

This was also quieter.

In 1934 they built the first steel mill to make steel wide enough for a roof. Between 1934 and 1938 the whole industry changed over to the new style roof, even though it cost them a fortune to buy huge new presses to press out a whole roof in one piece.

Some custom built cars had one piece roofs made of many pieces laboriously welded together and the seams filled with lead body solder. The Cord 810 sedan had a roof made of 7 separate stampings. This was way too expensive for mass produced cars. A Cord sedan cost twice as much as a Cadillac.

Did you ever notice the positive post on your battery corrodes twice as fast as the negative? In the old days they corroded even faster. I guess they figured it was easier and cheaper to replace a little ground strap when it rotted off.

Some cars had positive ground, some negative. But when they changed to 12 volts the AMA got everyone to agree to one standard which happened to be negative ground.

Guest simplyconnected
...Some cars had positive ground, some negative. But when they changed to 12 volts the AMA got everyone to agree to one standard which happened to be negative ground.

Hahahahahaa........ I can see a bunch of doctors, all huddled around a battery, collectively deciding the best way to connect it to a car.. "Hmmm.. Let's hook it up THIS way. Bed rest for today; call me in the moring if it has a reaction..."

Forgive me, Rusty, I just had to say.

(The Society of Automotive Engineers.) - Dave