What the heck is this 2nd green 46-48 New Yorker???

Guest BJM

Two 1940's Chrysler New Yorker Collector Cars

Scroll down through the phots please. I do not belive the 2nd car, the green 2 door is a New Yorker but I am no expert.

What i do know is I have never - ever seen a 46-48 Chrysler 2 door like that one! Have you?

What the heck is that thing? I know about the 3 window and the 5 window "coupes" but have no idea on this one. Calls both of them "New Yorkers" but I have my doubts.

I have one of the 545 built:). I asked on the Post War Heavy Metal web site how many are still around but never got a reply.

There are some photos of ours in my album Jay's Chrysler Land. The reason I bought ours is I had never seen one until I saw this on ebay in August of 2007.

There is a photo of a nice 2-dr. on the PWHM site but it is hard to find, I posted some photos of ours on that site also.

I have seen a few Windsor 2-dr. sedans in fact I sacrificed one back in 1973 for parts to fix up a 7-pass. Windsor a move I regret today:(.

Jay

http://forums.aaca.org/members/jazzer3/albums/jay-s-chrysler-land/1470-48-all-together.jpg

Edited by jazzer3 (see edit history)

Wow you guys have just blown my world wide open! Personally I think the reason so few were built was I think it's proportions are ugly, no offense. (but rare)

I am a club coupe fan 46-50 but also appreciate the 4 door sedans with suicide rear doors.

I just assumed it was a low level Royal and the guy was nut sthat it was a New Yorker.

What to do now? Doesn't it need saved? Looks like the frame is rusted so bad the front clip is looking bent.

I'll bet there are not more then 15 of these left in any condition.

I have one of the 545 built:). I asked on the Post War Heavy Metal web site how many are still around but never got a reply.

There are some photos of ours in my album Jay's Chrysler Land. The reason I bought ours is I had never seen one until I saw this on ebay in August of 2007.

http://forums.aaca.org/members/jazzer3/albums/jay-s-chrysler-land/1470-48-all-together.jpg

Jay,

Thanks for posting your photo. I mean no disrepsect - I always like members who collect cars because they have never seen one. I am looking at a 54 Kaiser to buy as a project and frankly, overall - I am not a 54 Kaiser fan.

Now, some members on here have told me the 3 window coupe in New Yorker size is preferred by them over the 5 window and I think they are nuts. They say the dis-proportionate look is what makes them so cool. It does catch your eye, as does this odd looking 2 door.

I remember some post war Lincolns looking very similar. The massive front ends yet the quick sloping rear trunk areas. GM started the "fastback" look in 1941 to great success. I think both Ford and Chrysler followed but did not want to copy exactly.

So, where GM had longer-lower-wider that created nice proportions, Chrysler and Lincolns looked a little bulbous.

The New Yorkers from 46-48 in all styles are favorites of mine but I do believe other manufacturers had better looking cars in some styles.

What I love about the 46-48 Chryslers is their take no prisoners front ends and the nice job the stylists did of blending the front fenders into the doors.

This particular car would be better suited to a shorter front clip. The whole car would be in proportion. THEN I could see the shape as pleasant. But you have this sort of short stubby body with no trunk overhang to speak of, and this l-o-n-g front clip that keeps going ( to accomodate the 8 cyl)

The reason only 545 were made is specifically because of this. In any year then, only about 200 were made and I suspect, those years were dominated by the 46-47 period.

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

I always thought that the long wheelbase Windsor 4 door sedans looked better than the regular wheelbase 4 door sedans in either New Yorker or Windsor line.

But my favorite would be a New Yorker 3 Pass. cpe. I think there may have only been about 700 of them built, as of now they are priced out of my league.

I'm a sucker for the ugly duckling, when I saw how solid the 48 New Yorker 2-door was I had to save it. I don't restore our cars they get fixed-up and driven

I have a Windsor club cpe project that was put on hold when a 50 New Yorker Newport needed saving (I put over 6700 miles on it the past 2 summers) and then the 48 2-door came along, maybe next year work will resume on the club cpe.

All the cars are put away now as one of the members called it "car-be-gone" is all over the roads here in PA.

Everyone have a Merry Christmas,

Jay

The 2 door sedan was popular in the cheaper cars because it cost a few bucks less than a 4 door.

This did not apply so much to the New Yorker. When you were buying a $4000 straight eight sedan saving $50 bucks wasn't important.

So, the only people who bought the 2 door sedan really wanted one. I suspect the main market was to people with children, who were paranoid about their little darlings opening the door when the car was in motion.

I have a Windsor club cpe project that was put on hold when a 50 New Yorker Newport needed saving (I put over 6700 miles on it the past 2 summers) and then the 48 2-door came along, maybe next year work will resume on the club cpe.

Jay

I am looking for a 50 New Yorker Newport. I have located a 50 Windsor Newport only and should pull the trigger but keep looking for an 8 cylinder Newport.

The 2 door sedan was popular in the cheaper cars because it cost a few bucks less than a 4 door.

This did not apply so much to the New Yorker. When you were buying a $4000 straight eight sedan saving $50 bucks wasn't important.

So, the only people who bought the 2 door sedan really wanted one. I suspect the main market was to people with children, who were paranoid about their little darlings opening the door when the car was in motion.

Good point Rusty.

It's a marketing anomoly. A very strange car. I think this one will remain unrestored. I would not mind having it and restorin it, using both cars to save it but to transport them down here from Duluth this guy is going to want another $800. Plus - did you see the shot with the tree trunk cut away?

I admire this fellow for what appears like pulling them out of a long rest. I suspect the Brougham sat on the ground and the frame eventually gave way.

I could be wrong on the bent or rusted frame but it looks like a person would need both cars to restore the one.

I've been studying the photos of the two 46-48 New Yorkers BJM posted a few days ago.

It appears the 4-door has the remains of cowl mount mirrors.

The 2-door has a newer engine judging by the oil fill tube and the threaded hole on the side of the block behind the water pump for battery grnd. cable.

But my main reason for writing is the rear fenders on the 2-door, it looks to me like the passenger side has a large opening fender and the driver's side looks like a small opening fender. I realize the damage to the left fender may be throwing me off but I would like anyone else's opinion. My car, a 2-door sedan has two different fenders, left-small opening, right side -big opening. It is hard to tell if the driver's side fender was changed on my car and if so it was a long time ago. Is it possible it left the factory like this?

If these cars were a one day trip for me I'ld have them. If the manifolds are good $$ plus a lot of other parts for the money.

In an earlier post I wrote that I was a sucker for the ugly duckling, not refering to any 46-48 chrysler body styles, (I like them all) but to some of the orphan cars of the post-war period. Bob your 3-window aint ugly and looks original!

Jay

Jay,

They all (rear fenders) look the same to me. Photos will do that. In fact, to my untrained eye, I think you could use the four door rear fenders on the Brougham.

I personally don't like the 3 window New Yorkers, but I am greatly outnumbered on this forum and that's OK. It's a big hobby. If I find a 3 window New Yorker project, I would probably not pass on it.

And I have seen a 3 window Windsor finished (nice) and I am fine with that. As with this brougham, there is too much front end in New Yprker trim for me to like it.

As for location, it is a problem. He is not going to find a buyer in my opinion. There are "very few - if any" restorers dropping the $30,000 plus necessary into 46-48 Chrysler 4 doors.

I inquired of a 46 New Yorker 5 window club coupe about 5 weeks ago off Craigs List for $19,000 obo. That fellow just posted on ebay and let me know. I think $15,000 would buy that car. I should find the ebay link.

But anyway, my point is - once you see it, $15,000 will be a bargain compared to the cost to restore. I just never have $15,000 laying around so I can not entertain that rare air. (yet)

If these Duluth cars were closer, I believe the parts would yield $2500 or so except the heavy stuff - which is desired - you might have to deliver.

Jay,

They all (rear fenders) look the same to me. Photos will do that. In fact, to my untrained eye, I think you could use the four door rear fenders on the Brougham.

I personally don't like the 3 window New Yorkers, but I am greatly outnumbered on this forum and that's OK. It's a big hobby. If I find a 3 window New Yorker project, I would probably not pass on it.

And I have seen a 3 window Windsor finished (nice) and I am fine with that. As with this brougham, there is too much front end in New Yprker trim for me to like it.

As for location, it is a problem. He is not going to find a buyer in my opinion. There are "very few - if any" restorers dropping the $30,000 plus necessary into 46-48 Chrysler 4 doors.

I inquired of a 46 New Yorker 5 window club coupe about 5 weeks ago off Craigs List for $19,000 obo. That fellow just posted on ebay and let me know. I think $15,000 would buy that car. I should find the ebay link.

But anyway, my point is - once you see it, $15,000 will be a bargain compared to the cost to restore. I just never have $15,000 laying around so I can not entertain that rare air. (yet)

If these Duluth cars were closer, I believe the parts would yield $2500 or so except the heavy stuff - which is desired - you might have to deliver.

There are two styles of rear fenders on the 8 cylinder chryslers. Early cars-1946 to early 47 had a narrower-not as wide/and smaller opening fender. Then Chrysler came out using the 8.20 size tires and modified the rear fenders to accommodate this bigger tire. The optional chrome stone shields are different because of this change. Late style 8 cyl. stone shields are near impossible to find too.

Bob

Since the 3 window coupes have come up, maybe someone can explain to me why Chrysler Corp. in the 46-48 model had busness coupes in all models, Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto and even the New Yorker, but they only had a quarter window in the Plymouths. The Plymouth business coupes are IMHO very good looking, better than the club coupes, but the more expensive Chrysler prducts wth heir litle 3 window top look ugly, again IMHO.

Since the 3 window coupes have come up, maybe someone can explain to me why Chrysler Corp. in the 46-48 model had busness coupes in all models, Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto and even the New Yorker, but they only had a quarter window in the Plymouths. The Plymouth business coupes are IMHO very good looking, better than the club coupes, but the more expensive Chrysler prducts wth heir litle 3 window top look ugly, again IMHO.

and I agree regarding the 3 window New Yorker, in that it is proportionately odd. But period 'cool'.

I have seen the 3 window Windsor, a 3 window Dodge - looked much nicer. I would need a photo of the Plymouth version - sounds like a "club coupe" taht you describe.

Keiser31?

Merry Christmas...two business coupes and a club coupe. The business coupe has the smooth curves. The only thing I can think of (about why the Plymouth had the 1/4 window) is that the Plymouth had a body by itself. The Dodge Chrysler and DeSoto share the same platform in those years.

post-37352-143138150395_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138150399_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138150404_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Plymouth went to the three window configuration in 1949-1952 . Growing up I always wanted a three window cpe. an elderly lady from a nearby town owned, I got it in 1996 with 52,000 miles on it, now it has 70,000. It is original right down to the worn out paint. The interior is as new. Without quarter windows visibility is very limited when backing-up, when I got the car in the trunk were 4 damaged right rear fender spears, the woman's garage door must have been narrow!

Merry Christmas,

Jay

post-39071-143138150452_thumb.jpg

post-39071-143138150457_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazzer3 (see edit history)

Thank you keiser 31 for the info on the thumbnails, I have to get that book.

Hey BJM, I think the Plmouth cpe. would look neat with extended front sheetmetal and a straight 8 under the hood. But not this car, it would have to be a rust bucket before I could start hacking anything.

The Plymouth ,as it is, is so small it's like driving a compact car and is very peppy.

Buy a Chrysler and save America,

Jay

That Plymouth is a nice car. IMO, much better proportioned then the New Yorker 3 window.

After listening to hundreds of comments at car shows I've had my 3 pass 8 cyl. Chrysler coupe at- there is no doubt that even though it is not porportioned to please some- it is the most talked about car with lot of big smiles and laughs! People usually stand and stare at it- then the questions come-all about the look of the car. The people love it. They cannot get over how big the trunk is- and of couse the extra long hood too. The 1949 to 52 little cute Plymouth business coupes get the comment -look at that cute little car! Yes thats what the Plymouth Business coupes are-cute! The Chrysler 8 cylinder C39 8 cyl. 3 passenger coupe's are one humungus and unique looking car you probably will always remember after seeing one whether young or old!

Bob

Well, You just missed one that sold here in the Seattle area- a 8 cyl nice car on Ebay for I think about $35,000.

On the Post War Heavy Metal 46-48 Chryslers site- "senzabenzina" post#11192 talks a little about cars he has, and he does or did have a 1948 Royal business coupe. Look him up.

Bob

Love these 46 to 48 Chrysler Coupes, in any Model, here is my Royal Club Coupe's big butt.

I wish I had a 3 passenger model, but am happy to have this one.

Does anyone happen to know if the 46 to 48 Royals mostly came with 3spd trans and fluid drive. I had been told in Canada Royals did not usually have the M5 or 6 semi-auto trans, but came with 3spds and fluid drive like the Dodges did.

Mine unfortunately had a transplant of a regular clutch, and 3spd trans years ago, it also has a 3.73 rearend, probably a lot better off the line than most fluid drive set-ups.....................Fred

post-41564-143138156347_thumb.jpg