hurricane flood!!!

Guest andy_smeech

Guest andy_smeech

I was recently looking for a car for parts. An fount a 1952 chevy deluxe 2 door. the call looked so great by picture that i am now interested in buying it. Only one problem the car was flooded for hurricane Katrina. the guy who has the car said that it was his father in laws, and he passed it to him after the hurricane. The car is all original. And the engine is not lock up according to the guy, he is selling it for 1,500. is there any way that a flooded engine couldn't work again. is it possible fo fix. i have photos of the car on my profile its the blue one. please message back thanks!

Andy,

Several of our cars were damaged in Hurricane Katrina -- we were able to save all of them, but only because we had fresh water, NOT salt water , and not very deep.

Where was the Chevy? Larose, Chalmette, New Orleans East, Lower 9th ward? Morgan City/ Grand Isle? Bay St. Louis?

Where it was, Salt-, Fresh-, or Brackish-water makes a big difference!

How deep the water was makes a big difference. was it up to the hub caps or was it over the headlights, or was it over the roof -- we have seen it all here in S.E. Louisiana.

If salt water covered points where sheetmetal parts were welded or came together, and the car sat for any serious length of time without being dis-assembled and flushed - you will likely spend the rest of your days chasing RUST, and never completely solve it.

We do not have a Redi-Strip soaking tank in the area, so that option is probably out, although I've been told that there may be one in Jackson, MS. Dipping the chassis, and each body part separately could save the car if you are planning a total restoration, but this would be extremely expensive, and far more than the potential value of your Chevy - been there, done that.

Do you know any of the members of the Lagniappe Chapter (Houma-Raceland-Thibodaux area) of Louisiana region, AACA? You can find them at this website, and they will be happy to offer local suggestions. They also put on great local activities all year long - I know because I attend whenever possible - we just did one last month, and you can get involved before you get your car. They may even know of other local cars in better shape to start with.

Is this the Chevy that sat for many years on Bayou Lafourche opposite the Valentine Sugar Refinery?

Mechanically, mostly anything can be saved if you are willing to throw enough money and time at it, but even if the engine is OK, is it a stick-shift or a Powerglide automatic tranny? Big difference here, especially if it was salt water and got inside.

I hope these thoughts help.

Good luck

Edited by Marty Roth
bad typing (see edit history)

Yes, there is a striping place in Jackson, Marty. It was an old Redi-strip, no longer goes by that name but does the same thing. It was (and I think still is) owned by two brothers, last name Church. I don't have the business name. best- dc

Guest andy_smeech

the car what in new orleans for the flood the guys has all the parts for the car. he said they ran new oil tannay an stuff like that threw it. I live in lafourche but the cars in laff. where the guy lives. im just not sure if 1500 is a goo pri ce. but thanks for that information man really appricate it!

Andy,

Whatever you decide, good luck. If the car was in the Lakeside or 9th ward section of New Orleans or in Chalmette or Arabi, it was likely completely under brackish water, or maybe even salt water -- in that case I personally would not fool with it. If it were in Jefferson, Metairie, Kenner, or some other area I would look very carefully, and try to make a decision based on how the rust is progressing, since it is better than four years since the start of the flooding.

Some very important cars which were completely under Katrina's waters in the uptown and Broadmoor areas have since been completely and professionally restored, and at extremely high cost, including a 1935 Packard V-12 Convertible Sedan. You could get the car to be presentable and running dependably at modest cost by doing most of the work yourself. It all depends upon what you want in the long term. These Chevys are a good car with great parts availibility, and easy to work on - you could have lots of fun with it. You could also over-do it and sink in way too much money, and half-way through the project you could be in over your head, get disgusted with it , and just quit -- this can happen to any restoration. Just know what you want to accomplish before you commit - it will likely change during the process, but at least you have a starting point.

Good Luck, and do contact the folks in the Lagniappe Club in Raceland and Houma, LA.

Guest andy_smeech

thanks so much man. your help just made my day. I could never ask my own father a question let alone him even care about what im tring to go to school for. Thanks so much.