Antique Automobile sets new world record

oldcar

Yes! That is correct but not one to be proud of. I have just today received my July August copy of the Antique Automobile posted I guess much the same as all of yours on 07-16-2009 using US Postage "Global Bulk Economy". The magazine we all wait impatiently for the mail man to drop into our box has finally arrived. Sadly it is too late for me to book my site for Hershey, the flyer included tells me that the deadline was August 15th. Too bad! I guess that I will be seeing you all at the AACA 75th Anniversary Celebrations at Louisville next November 2010.

Enough said.

When do other "Foreign" members receive their magazines?

Can anybody beat this record for late delivery?

Bernie J.

post-51681-143138141448_thumb.jpg

Guest windjamer
:D:mad: Hold on there Bernie. Dont blame the AACA. It was mailed in July. AACA has no control after it is put in the mail. Just how many post offices did it go through to get to you? Our new mag is so fantastic you cant blame each office for wanting to read it befor passing it on to the next office :D:D I would suggest that AACA include extra membership apps. in your mail so all the light fingered postal folks could get ther own copy of Antique Auto.:D

oldcar,

Occasionally a piece of mail shows up years late here in the US. This is very unusual, but it does happen. When it does, it makes the news. For all of our complaints, the US Postal system really does a good job almost all of the time. We just expect everything cheap, fast, and perfect every time.

How long does it usually take for you to receive Antique Auto? I hope it does not routinely take anywhere near so long. If so, perhaps some research needs to be done about different postal methods that could be used for international members, of course faster service might require using a more expensive method which might necessitate an even higher dues rate for international members, but I hope not.

Guest 60electra225

I have suggested, on a number of forums, and especially for international members, of which I am one, that there be a pdf version available as soon as it is off the press. It can be hosted on free web sites and downloaded by members with a password. Very easy to set up, and yes, it does involve a little more work, but as OLDCAR points out, he/she is unable to attend a specific event and that only serves to reduce the number of participants.

Guest David H.

Well here is a good time to offer my suggestion. Why doesnt AACA offer with memberships the option of a internet based magazine, for people who spend time on the internet and for people outside the US, and the option of a paper copy subscription for those who enjoy reading in the garage? Just a thought that I think makes sense. It may also cut down on costs for the paper version.

I don't know if the AACA has changed their mail out contractor or what? My copy of the Antique Automobile used to come about a month or so after the post date. This the first one I have received since July.

I also get the Automobile on subscription from the UK ( I am a regular contributor to it also) It always comes on or about the 28th of the month before the cover date. I.E. I got the December issue on Friday November 27.

It would be an idea if you could pay the extra for airmail delivery with your annual Membership subscription. My VSCC Bulletin and Newsletter also come airmail from the UK. It would appear that with a number of Overseas members that "Bulk" air mail is not prohibitive. Perhaps West can ask the office about this. I can ask the publisher of the Automobile how they arrange their overseas air mail if it is any use.

Bernie J.

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

1. We did change publisher's but the same foreign mail service. Unlike man other clubs or publications we do not charge a premium for overseas delivery but maybe we should start thinking of that along with improved service. I will take up your late delivery with the company.

2. We are prepared for a digital magazine already. In fact every magazine is currently available to us in digital format but we are still mulling over the idea and the security of it from our perspective. I suspect that we will offer it in the future.

Mail service is the single most frustrating part of our magazine business. We are meeting improved deadlines and getting the magazine out weeks faster than previously but there are times that a person on the same street as another member gets the issue weeks apart!

We are cognizant of these problems and are working towards better delivery!

Car guys in Australia always impress me, I think they somehow have a greater love for the cars & hobby than we do here in the USA. I've sold a fair amount of parts Downunder and take care to pack them well and find the best rate to ship them. Shipping sometimes costs more than the item, yet I've never had anyone complain. I would hope AACA might offer a faster mailing rate at an additional cost to those outside the USA thay may want it.

Guest 60electra225
Car guys in Australia always impress me, I think they somehow have a greater love for the cars & hobby than we do here in the USA. I've sold a fair amount of parts Downunder and take care to pack them well and find the best rate to ship them. Shipping sometimes costs more than the item, yet I've never had anyone complain. I would hope AACA might offer a faster mailing rate at an additional cost to those outside the USA thay may want it.

This is getting a bit off topic, but in response to the former post. I am one of those from "downunder" and freight costs these days are largely prohibitive - especially following 9/11 and the postal service decision to no longer offer surface mail shipping. A $10 part can cost $40 for shipping. Mind you, the US is not alone in this. I wanted to buy a 100 ft roll of 7mm copper core red HT lead from the UK. The product cost was 18 pounds and they wanted 48 pounds for freight. I found another way, but generally, I try and get small parts sent to friends in the US and consolidated - otherwise our hobby would be under threat.

We are prepared for a digital magazine already. In fact every magazine is currently available to us in digital format but we are still mulling over the idea and the security of it from our perspective. I suspect that we will offer it in the future.

Steve,

In our small club once I receive the newsletter DVD from the printer I send it to the webmaster so it can be posted in the members only section (need passwords to enter). There all the club's newsletters are posted clear back to the 70's. This allows the members to research old tech articles, etc. It also allows newer and younger members to follow the club's history.

We also post a few free newsletters on the website's homepage to entice those that may be considering joining the club, plus you can point to the free magazine / newsletter link in your advertisements. An excellent way to promote not only your club but your magazine or newsletter.

http://www.amphicar.com/

http://www.amphicar.com/NLSpecial.htm

Now that I know that there is an airmail option I will certainly will be taking it.

I would also like to express my thanks to Steve and all the AACA people who have taken such a positive view on this and are acting to correct the problem. I am sure that all the overseas members will appreciate this.

Bernie J.