How do you straighten a vintage "boater" hat?

Since hats are clothes...sort of, then I have a question about a vintage "boater" hat the I have. It is warped on the edge and I need to know how to straighten it without ruining it. Anyone here know how?

post-37352-143138140381_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138140389_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138140393_thumb.jpg

Since hats are clothes...sort of, then I have a question about a vintage "boater" hat the I have. It is warped on the edge and I need to know how to straighten it without ruining it. Anyone here know how?

Preventive Maintenance!

Back in my old US Army Drill Sergeant days, I had made a "press" out of plywood to keep my DI Hat in when not being used. Especially handy after a day in the rain when it would dry out perfectly straight inside the press. Wonder where that press went to? Still have the hats! ;):)

Wayne

Guest Arniland

My wife, who has worked with a number of her vintage straw hats and my boaters, suggests just misting it with water. Get it well dampened and then, with a layer of wax paper on the brim, put some flat weights around the brim with it setting on a flat surface. Give it as much time to dry as it needs. You may have to repeat the process a few times.

Before you start, consider removing the outside ribbon to keep the water from damaging it.

Arn

• 2 weeks later...

Steam is the answer, as I have stretched and steamed vintage fedora hats to enlarge them with no problem. I would suggest two layers of damp cloths, one on top and one on the bottom, then use a steam iron with no steam to press the edge. Take the hat lay it flat with weight on the edge to hold it in place for a couple of days and until it drys. This should solve the crooked lid problem!

• 3 weeks later...