55 Century Convertible project

buick5563

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

John D. just emailed me to let me know about the commotion. Nothing major to add. I have been slowly priming and straightening the sheet metal, but every time I think I can begin painting I get another customer car come in. That's good for my wallet. Not so good for my project.

• 1 year later...

Good call Jim....Mikey sure are missing you. Come back and liven' up this place!!

All the best, I'll be in Austin for work in a couple weeks (right before the F1 race) but I'll have my employee with me so will try and catch up with you next time.

• 2 years later...

holy $#!@ that's Woody, he's a man now!

Good deal getting him in the garage and playing with cars!!! Good father son bonding time even though i know you been chasing him all over the state to watch him play ball.

I'm excited for you both.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, but I may have been convinced of an interior color change meaning a black dash might not work. Waiting in interior samples from SMS. Not sure if they are working through this since the Pacific NW has been hit hard and may have more strict “stay at home” policies. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A LOOOOOONG time ago, I had a good relationship with my powdercoater and he agreed to try coating the dash while I was doing some other small pieces. It turned out ok, but it wasn’t great. No problem, I will scuff and prime / paint later.

Well... it’s later. While I was moving parts around in the garage, I found some of the embossed seat back material I got from progoofoff (Uncle Bob Coker) left over from his convertible project. I was originally going to dye it, but when I looked at it, I kinda dug the green. As an experiment (yes, I LOVE an experiment) I ordered a spray can combo made up from paintscratch.com. They claim to have formulas for older cars. I’m stuck at home anyway. I have a credit card. Order one in Belfast Green Metallic just to see what it looks like. 😁
BTW, sanding powder coating off of parts is less fun than eating pie, but more fun than hitting yourself in the head with a hammer. 

48A27CDA-6A10-43AF-9864-A21F5973CC90.jpeg

F7E999EF-17E4-4ED9-BB52-47B7C68C6EDE.jpeg

Edited by buick5563
None (see edit history)
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...

To follow up on the last post, I sent my steering wheel to California for them to re-cast it in green plastic to match the rest of the interior. 
My powdercoater has been working overtime for me as I now have red wheels on all three cars. I took my last five good wheels for the convertible project. Sure is easier than using a sandblaster our in my back yard in the heat. 

13CBB398-4A98-45BC-8E61-67DFD8218D49.jpeg

• Like 7

• 3 years later...