To buy vintage clothing? Just recently purchased a 1929 Studebaker Dictator, and thought it would be cool if the family could dress the part in the local parade (they may not think it's as cool as dad, but oh well!). My girls are 6, 4, and 2 years old....but I can't break the bank just to look like we "go with the car". Any thoughts out there?

Robert

Echo Robert,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum.

This Vintage Clothing category has just recently been added to the AACA Forum. It is our hope that we will find folks interested in buying and selling it here in addition to Ebay and other similar sources.

I have not yet had a chance to post what I am looking for here, so let me piggyback on your thread. I am also looking for clothing to go along with a 1929 car.

I already have a little bit of stuff, but it is difficult to find larger clothing for that era. I could use a few more pairs of pants in 38x32 size or 40x32 or something close. A vintage men's jacket in about a size 46 would be great too. I also need some larger women's era clothing. (I probably can't safely specify a size here and should just hope someone posts something for sale that I recognize will work.)

Hopefully, you can post a little bit about the sizes that you need and someone here might have what you (and I) are looking for.

Museums occasionally sell off their donations/displays. You might ask the closest museum to you if they have any of your needed style clothing up for sale. There is a big old fur coat at our local museum across the street from my house. It would look great behind the wheel of a Mercer Raceabout.

• 5 weeks later...

My outfit of knickers, boaters and plus four knickers came from ebay and golfknickers.com . very happy with the knickers. Comfy and well made. The trick to any historical outfit is the shoes. The spectator (two tone brown wing tip/oxford) shoes are great for the late twenties and are available on ebay as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest eileenb58

I am an avid collector of Vintage Clothing - mostly 40's stuff. I find the best stuff at small thrift stores - operated by hospitals, churches, etc. If you don't have the time or patience to get out and hunt for the clothes, then check out Ebay or Ecrater. I buy and sell on both. I actually like Ecrater better because it's not an auction so, you want it, you buy it. No bidding involved. Some of the prices are astronomical but there are a few of us out there who price things reasonably.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest BetsyMc

I maintain a vintage shopping directory : here

(from the vin*fashindex -- a database of links concerning all things vintage clothing such as history/national dress/pattern-making/communities/cleaning tips/etc).

I also have a vintage fashion shop, deadlyvintage.com --- I mostly carry clothing from the 40's-70's. There are many many great vintage shops that are operated by folks who love & obsess over fashion. Any of the shops (from my directory) will be happy to answer questions and offer suggestions if you need help. And I'd like to specifically mention: Dorothea's Closet, Contentment Farm, Cemetarian (patterns), Past Perfect Vintage, Anapanda (eBay), Denise Brain (eBay), Catbooks1940s (Etsy).

Hope ya find what you need!

Betsy

• 4 years later...

To Echo Robert; I have a 27 Studebaker Commander Roadster. But also portray Russell Erskine in Huntsville Al. In my research I've used google to check out 20's clothing styles and have found the following. In mens clothing; just google in what you want and you will find a LOt of Info on styles. So far I've gotten what I want at thrift stores. Note; double breasted suits then usually used 2 buttons to button of instead of like just 1 used today. For round spectacles go to Gentlemen's Emporiuem . For a male ,more casual look go with a long sleeve shirt, pleated,cuffed trousers ,suspenders and a fedora.almost all men wore hats and short sleeves were considered by some to be {lower class}. There are even sewing pattern sites for women. Do you belong to the Antique Studebaker Club or to the Studebaker Drivers Club?. Both great clubs. ph.256 426 2261