Help with 1936/37 DeSoto Information

Guest BJM

Body tag S34T-28784

506-565

Job Number 36-753

1936-7 Desoto 4 Door - Stock #484

1. Are the missing parts on this car considered 'unobtainium' ?

2. Can someone with a prewar Chrysler book break down the numbers above?

3. Does it appear there is a major dent in the roof and if so, I wonder if these can be pounded out?

I have passed over this numerous times but took a minute to review it again. Pluses are - it's got the drivetrain and suspension. IT is complete except for the hood / hood sides grille and some other stuff like maybe seats.

However, the seats / wheels missing / radiator ought to be obtainable from Dodges and maybe Plymouths.

Does anyone have a good photo of a 36-7 DeSoto thay can attach here?

I revisited this car because that is a classic 30's four door profile and I like it a lot. It's Airflow-ish and clearly has Airflow inspiration.

Thanks

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

The pictures show a rough condition parts car. It would be crazy to try to fix a car that bad.

Cars of that type are not rare. If you watch Ebay, Kijiji, and Craigslist you should be able to find a good one in a few weeks.

You can buy a car like that in good to very good condition, complete and drivable, for $2500 to $5000. No way could you restore that pail for less than $20000.

By the way it looks to me like a 38 or 39 DeSoto sedan.

Here is a real wild web site for finding car deals. It scans the net to bring you ads for cars all across the country.

You will be amazed what is available.

site mash : : combined classified and auction listings

One more thing. You will be way better off to spend a week going and getting a car across the country, than spending months or years and big $$$$ fixing a junker just because it's local.

All cars made after 1934 were Airflow inspired. If you don't believe me, get some pictures of the 1934 - 1937 Airflow. Compare them to pictures of cars from 1933 and earlier, any make, and 1938 and newer, any make. You will quickly see that the Airflow owes nothing to any earlier car stylistically but every car made after the Airflow shares the Airflow silhouette.

If you took a 1934 Airflow body and put on fatter fenders and different grille you could make it look like any car made up to 1948. The Airflow was that far ahead of its time.

Airflow is a great car, the only reason I don't suggest you buy one is that they are very expensive. You can buy a slightly newer, Airflow clone for half as much.

OK keiser I see you are right.

For laughs I went to the site mash and did a search for DeSoto, 1933 to 42. Got 21 hits and some of them were dandies.There is even a DeSoto Airflow in there.

Check out the 1938 DeSoto phaeton, custom built by Tuscher of Switzerland on the DeSoto long wheelbase limousine chassis.

site mash : desoto : combined classified and auction listings

For sale on Hemmings for $98500

Hemmings Motor News: Auto Dealers - Hemmings Auto Classifieds feature cars for sale from auto dealers nation wide.

Too much dough for me but a beautiful and unique car.

You could also try a search for Chrysler, or other makes. I'm sure you could find something good.

Thanks all. I use the site mash daily it is saved as one of my favorites.

Still...no one has decoded the actual numbers on the car. I have the Standard Catalog for Post War but long ago sold my Chrysler stuff. (Dumb decision but you know how it goes)

I have owned a 1936 Chrysler C6 Airflow. I can not reconcile myself with that 3rd window on the 'parts car' above. The whole rear flank is deeply streamlined compared to everything else I have seen so far.

As for the notion that I could get a better car and save myself money, that's a whole different argument. I probably will not buy this car but it is saveable. 25 years ago people were restoring these sorts of cars. Now, with most people living in the burbs the neighbors would call the neighborhood association if a well intentioned person brought one of these sorts of cars home - even into their garage. Oh the horror!

Anyway, I think it is solid and cool. You can spend $5000 on a "project" and still need to redo everything. There are not a whole lot of, say, $5000 36 -37 DeSotos ought there in enjoyable hobby shape.

As for my 49 Club Coupe, thanks. I am a 46-51 Chrysler fan. My 49 is an original 'survivor' car.

Rusty,

Not much on the sit e mash, but take a look at this ebay offering.

DeSoto:eBay Motors (item 170410138111 end time Nov-28-09 15:20:54 PST)

$2500.00 and no bids. Won't get a sniff. This car needs $20,000 same as the rusty parts car.

There is a 39 Sedan on there for $1500 firm described as complete, that's probably a much better value then the "parts car" above.

This 1940 is a much better value for sure -

1940 Desoto - Family Owned Since New – 2nd Owner

Everyone with an Airflow has $$$ signs $2900 an reserve not met????

DeSoto:eBay Motors (item 260506440087 end time Nov-20-09 16:19:15 PST)

Wasn't there a 38 sedan on there, complete and running, good interior but needing bodywork for $3000?

The kind of car you can buy for $2500 cash.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/1476664446.html

Don't forget to ask about the missing running board, "bumber" and chrome.

What the heck you might get it for under $2000. MAMA wants it gone, in other words you can write your own ticket LOL.

Same car is on Ebay with an opening bid of $2495. What a hope.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

I have most of a 37 Desoto to go with this car. It is in NW Oregon, rolls just fine.

Has radiator, two sets of wheels, hub caps . Missing one hood side, bumpers, trans, and drive line. Also missing the upper grill sides as shown. Pretty straight, not much rust. The tires are NOS with zero miles but the WWS are a bit weathered.I would like to get $1500 for it. It has a clear Oregon title in my name. Contact me by email capyjack@comcast.net

JACK

Those do make a nice street rod. You know, I don't always understand the fascination with 2 door models when it comes to street rods. I see them at the local shows and most everybody has a 2 door fat fendered something then you take note of the interior room (with the usual added stuff) and the smallish trunks and think hhhmmm, wouldn't a four door be better if you are a show hopping guy. Most hot rodders I know are husband and wife teams and load up their gear and some even have the matching trailer behind the 2 door hot rod. Seems to make more sense to me to get a four door.

On the note of the offer, you are a long ways away from me and I have no immediate need for the car. My thinking was actually to buy "around" the car I had spotted which is a North Dakota dealership - relatively speaking - not too far away.

I would basically set up my ebay searches, maybe Craigs List - and buy the missing stuff then see if they still have the car up there in ND. I've seen it there for quite awhile so unless a hot rodder grabs it, I doubt it is going anywhere. It would very much depend on when you needed it gone. I am doing restorations on 3 cars presently and lining up cars for after that so have no immediate need. Therefore, it is easier for me to shop from these so called project car dealers because they seldom sell their cars, at least very fast - and a private seller usually needs their cars gone a lot sooner.

I am looking for one - just one - 30's car from any manufacturer to add to my collection. I don't have the time or money for more then one. I had the 36 Airflow, but it was basically striped and the missing pieces were too rare and too expensive.

I like the 36-37 DeSotos, but the 37 sells me on that longer looking style.

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

You hit on the exact reason that I built this car. No room in the 36 coupe. Now I have a back seat. A little room left in the trunk after fitting the compressor, tank, and valve assy for the air bag suspension.

The other 37 could sit for a while, till summer maybe. I have plenty of room, I just like to keep things moving around.

Here is a pic of the 36. I drug this out of the blackberrys in 1982. 383 w/ long rams.

I know, 37 grill. I liked the 37 better and had a better one.

BUT, I finnaly found the crank hole cover.

post-52542-143138139196_thumb.jpg

post-52542-143138139198_thumb.jpg

For the tag on the 1937 DeSoto originally under discussion :

S34T - 28784

S3 : 1937 DeSoto

4T : 4-door Touring Sedan

28784 : 28,784th S3 4-door Touring Sedan built in Detroit

(A total 51,889 S3 4-door Touring Sedan were built, but do not know how many of them in Detroit and how many in Windsor.)

506-565

506 : Exterior Colour : Chinchilla Gray Metallic

565 : Interior Trim : Bedford Cord

The bottom numbers have something to do with production schedule, I believe.

The S3 4-door Touring Sedan body was shared with D5 Dodge, C16 and C14 Chrysler. The P3 and P4 Plymouth 4-door Touring Sedan was 3" shorter, the difference being in the rear seat area. The rear quarter stamping and roof were 3" longer on the D4, S3, C16 and C14 models, which means the rear quarter window is 3" longer.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

Bill,

Thanks so much for being the one to decode. I always find it fascinating to decode a car as it is like a birth certificate.

I do not know much about the pre war Mopars. I know th most about the Airflows and even they have experts that put me to shame.

I just want 'one' neat pre war car as I am running out of time to restore and enjoy. I think the two cars put together could make one nice car and I am glad Chrysler Corp decided to make the 37 bodies longer.

The 36 Chrysler "Airstreams" 4 door sedans ( Chrysler / DeSoto / Dodge / Plymouth variants ) force a person to solely focus on their beautiful water fall grilles. The rear quarters look pedestrian, not bad but certainly the 37's look more streamlined.

• 7 years later...

I have a 36 DeSoto 4 door. I am missing the grill shell, grill, lights that mount to front fenders on each side. Basically all chrome. Anyone have any idea where I can find these items. Thanks for any help. I thought it was a Dodge when I first dragged her home.