1953 packard mayfair?

Guest 1938RC

Hi, I am going to look at a 1953 Mayfair this week. Car has a 327 strait 8 with a automatic trans, 44,000 miles . Has sat for many years but is now running and driving. I don't know anything about Packards , but have resurected other old cars,so I know what to look for, so I need Packard specific advice about engines, transmission,or anything about this car. Any info you could supply about this car would help.

I do not know why car was parked or much history about it.

Forget to mention car is a 2 door , Thank you.

51-4 are very dependable cars. Most mechanical will interchange between years assuming part is off the same wheelbase chassis. Some components even go back even further. Most engine components will interchange as will engines. There are 5 and 9 main bearing and solid and hydraulic lifter 327s. If original engine in car, should be 5 main hydraulic and engine number would start L4xxxxx. Body and trim items vary by year & model so if things needed there, would almost have to come from same model.

Believe most Packards were parked when something happened to trans. While extremely reliable when treated properly, it's a 2 speed. Starts in high or if selected, low. Stays there with a subtle change to direct drive around 20mph locking out the torque converter--but still in high (or low) so not a shift in the conventional sense. It's not a hot rod trans and those that treated them as such usually found themselves walking. With Packard gone, there was not much in the way of proper service so some were unable to be serviced or damaged with improper or lack of adjustment. That would be the main thing to check but if driving & moving under it's own power, all the better. You can find a lot of technical info and pictures at packardinfo.com

Edited by HH56 (see edit history)

A Packard Mayfair is a very cool car. They sold for Buick or Cadillac money back in the day.

The transmission is a typical 1 speed torque converter design of the day, as used by Buick (Dynaflow) Chrysler (Powerflite) Chevrolet (Powerglide) and other makes as well.

In normal use the transmission does not shift at all. There is a low gear for emergencies if you shift by hand or kick the throttle down hard.

This makes for very smooth, but leisurely performance.

One thing about Packard straignt eights. If they sit for a long time the valves tend to stick. But as the car you are looking at is running and driving that should not be a worry.

Basically they were a high grade, well made car of the time. They did not have all the power this and automatic that which infest cars of the later 50s - and cause so much grief today.

One thing to look out for is the Bendix Treadlvac power brake system. If it decides to fail it will do so instantly with no warning, leaving you with no brakes at all.

So make sure the handbrake is working perfectly. The Packard club is working on a bolt in replacement for the Treadlevac which should be available soon.

This is not a unique Packard problem, many luxury cars like Buick Cadillac and Lincoln used this system between 1951 and the early 60s.

When I spoke with the owner, he did say the brake peddle was hard to push after rebuilding master cylinder,wheel cylinders, new lines and hoses. Is this the treadle vac problem and what is needed to fix the problem?

I also forgot to mention he replaced thermostat and it overheats but he said it eventually cools down to normal, Not sure why without digging into it further.

He wants $3450 with 44000 miles, one older repaint,good interior,glass etc.,but I havent seen it yet. Is this worth pursueing? Again I know nothing about packards, Thanks.

Does it have power brakes? The pedal should not be too hard to push even if it does not have power brakes. But harder than a new car with power brakes.

Bendix Treadlevac is a brand of power brakes used on many heavy cars from 1951 to the early 60s. Not just Packard.

The cars without power brakes, have an ordinary hydraulic brake system.

The Treadlevac works great when it is working. A light touch on the pedal will put you through the windshield LOL.

Sounds like it has a bad or sticky thermostat.

The car needs work but this is common and it doesn't sound like the problems are too serious. You should have it looked over by an old car expert.

$3400 is a very good price for a car like that in decent shape. My Old Cars Price Guide says $4400. Of course there is the cost of fixing the brakes etc to think about.

• 3 weeks later...
The transmission won't shift into high. Will I need to find a speciality shop or can the average transmission shop handle this?

Up thru late 1954, the Ultramatics did not "shift gears". Much like the Buick Dynaflow, they used the torque converter only. However, Packard added a direct drive lock-up feature to the torque converter which prevented any slippage over around 25 MPH.

This design is somewhat inefficient for around town driving resulting in below average acceleration and fuel mileage. However, it has a distinct advantage over any other auto trans of the era in that there is no slippage or overheating at highway speeds. From late 1954 thru 1956 the Gear-Start and later Twin Ultramatics started in low range, shifted to "Hi" and then on to converter lockup..... essentially a three speed.

Sorry for not responding sooner, somehow I could not log on.

I did not see the car and after it disappeard from craigslist I thought it to be sold. I decided to call the owner and he said it is on e-bay now. I really don't like bidding on a car, I prefer to buy outright, so I am going to pass on the car.

The owner seemed like a strait shooter, answered all questions I had.

Thank you to everyone who offered insight to the Packards as now I would like to own one.