29 DA air cleaner

wyobob

Your DA should have an air filter. It's not a disposable filter like you'd have now. There were just steel blades on the underside of the air filter. From what the previous owner of my 29DA said he would just put vaseline on the blades to catch dust and clean it off every so often. I can't confirm if this was actually recommended when the car was new.

Here are photos of a 1929 DA and 1930 DD air cleaner. I believe they are the same. Of course, my area is 1931s, but this could be correct. Sorry for the non-clarity and obstructed view. Maybe someone could post a better photo for you. I have seen them on ebay occasionally.

post-37352-143138136065_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138136068_thumb.jpg

U-2 is original and I dont think it was ever really designed to be an air filter, the steel blades are designed to give the air a turbine affect but as far as I know do little to nothing to keep out dirt, I have read suggestions that the turbine affect and shape/angle of blades will throw any particles outward and out before they enter engine but I dont know that to be true.

Guest oldodgeboys

Years ago some military helicopters used particle velocity separators. I think they were developed as part of a sand separation system for Middle East action.

The particle would enter the intake at a high velocity, and then the air path would make an abrupt turn...the weight of the particle drove it into an exit port.

I dont think it matches exactly what the DB air cleaners are trying to do, but it's the same basic idea. I'm not to sure the concept would work well at lower air velocities.

• 4 weeks later...

WYOBOB,

You wanted to know of a good air filter for driving on dusty roads. As far as I'm concerned,the tin can with fins that came originally with this era of cars is for show only!( you notice I didn't even call it a filter.)

I have just installed an air filter from "snydersantiqueauto.com" on our 31 DH . ( Picture attached.)

The ID is 1 7/8 " where it fastens on to the carb.It fits over a tillitson JR1A or use a short piece of pipe to go to a Tillitson JR2A or a Carter DRT-08.

The paper part of the filter is 13.3 " cir. and 5" long. 66.5 sq.in. They are produced for Model A's. I have been using a filter 56.5 sq.in. for the last 20,000 miles and the car seemed to run okay. If not, there is room for even a bigger filter for this configuration.

Glen.

post-63263-143138148694_thumb.jpg

Before buying an original aircleaner on Ebay (in great shape, but it cost over $60!) I made a cleaner out of wire mesh, covered by standard black air cleaner material, and attached to the intake by a stainless tension band. It was easy, and effective. Roads were awfully dusty back in '29, but they changed oil every 1500 miles.