NEW FORUM: buying/selling vintage clothing items.

Guest Nancy DeWitt

We'd be interested too. What started out as "a few clothing items displayed by the cars" has grown into a full-blown vintage fashion exhibit in our museum. We're always on the lookout for interesting vintage items. Plus, we love to dress up for events and riding in the cars, so we're trying to accumulate a good selection of reproduction and wearable vintage clothing. Finding 30s outfits for men is particularly challenging.

At Hershey there were several vendors of vintage clothes, hats, shoes, etc., Some were new items created to look like the orginial and some were orginal.

Would there be enough interest to support a forum of it's own or as a sub-forum under the heading Buy/Sell?

Good question Shoprat.... Not sure if there is enough need, interest or support as of right now.........

I just looked at the first 7 pages of the current Buy/Sell forum that covered the past 2 weeks. Unless I missed them, I did not see a single posting for items of vintage clothes, hats, shoes, etc. Maybe people with these items are not aware they can post these items in this forum? I would think that the moderators might be more inclined to add a forum for items like these once they see enough posts in the current forum to justify adding a new forum.

Charlier,

The current buy/sell forum specifically is listed as

"Forum in which to buy and sell antique cars and parts."

If you look closely at the rules of that forum,you will also see that "non-automotive" items will be deleted. As such, I never would have thought to post a wanted or for sale item for vintage clothing there. I think Shoprat has a great idea. Either as a sub-forum or a separate forum, I would welcome a place to buy and sell vintage clothing.

Thanks Matt and others. If there was a forum, or sub-forum, for these types of items it would open up a market for those of us that do not buy or sell on places like EBay. I don't want to have to bid on items. I would rather buy, or sell, them outright.

There is a lovely photo in the most recent AACA magazine of a couple in period correct clothes standing with their car. More people might be interested in doing this if they had a place to find the items they are looking for that is tied in with other antique auto hobbiests.

Guest adam_knox

Woo-hoo! About time! I've been on a hunt for a fedora size 7 1/2 or 7 5/8 forever to replace my favorite one my pup ate! Hopefully someone in the club will have some they don't wear anymore! Brilliant idea! A++++++ WOULD RECOMMEND! =)

Hi Susan,

Thanks for this great idea.

I'd like to find a raccoon coat and other clothing to wear when we go out in our "26 Chrysler.

PS: Good to have you visit our flea market space at Hershey

Bill Boudway

Hi Bill,

It was great to see you also. Hopefully we can persuade Peter G and others in charge to try the idea and see if it floats. So far no one has said it is a bad idea. :)

Great idea! I recall when we first joined Tidewater Region a few years (quite a few) back, dressing in period costume was quite popular. Our 1996 National Meet even featured a fashion show. It died off for a while, but has recently seen renewed interest. In fact, at our fall show this year, every participant was greeted by one of our official "greeters" including the club president, dressed in vintage attire. It was a big hit! If we can somehow help people find or determine what is correct for their vehicles, the fashion (no pun intended) of dressing to match your car might regain popularity.

I know that Horseless Carriage Club Tours are great for that too.

Terry

Guest sdzaiser

I agree that this is brilliant idea! I try to dress in period attire when I go to an event. My cars are from the 60s and 70s, so that's not hard, but I'm all about this!

Guest windjamer

Susan Im almost ready. I got lots of levi blue jeans, white T/shirts galore,I just need to find my old black engeneer boots and a pack of luckys to roll in the shirt sleeve:D:D I just remembered,I let them boots go when I sold my bike.:( Get that forum started, I need some boots:D

Charlier,

The current buy/sell forum specifically is listed as

"Forum in which to buy and sell antique cars and parts."

If you look closely at the rules of that forum,you will also see that "non-automotive" items will be deleted. As such, I never would have thought to post a wanted or for sale item for vintage clothing there. I think Shoprat has a great idea. Either as a sub-forum or a separate forum, I would welcome a place to buy and sell vintage clothing.

Thanks for pointing out the guidelines for the Buy/Sell Forum! :)

• 1 month later...