Hupp Model 20 muffler information

trimacar

I took apart an original muffler this past weekend, off a Model 20 Hupmobile. It's comprised of on outer solid shell, and an inner shell about an inch smaller in diameter. The inner shell has a plate dead center that divides it into two chambers, and each chamber has a series of holes drilled around the shell circumference, on each end. Thus, exhaust passes into a chamber, out the holes in that chamber, down the path between shells, through the holes into the other chamber, then out.

My point is that this muffler was just about blocked solid around the holes with deposits, what I would call carbon black. If you have an original muffler on your car, and it doesn't seem to have much power, this could be the culprit.

Oh, and if you take one of these apart, do it outside. I'm still trying to get the carbon black out of my garage, it's everywhere!

Best to all. David Coco Winchester Va.

• 3 months later...
Guest winton

Check you carb. It may be set too rich. I don't seem to get all that much carbon in my muffler. My car has a shebler carb. which I am afraid to replace with the original because it runs so well as is. My car is a 1909.-winton

Edited by winton
Forgot my "name" which is winton (see edit history)

Hi- This was actually on a project car that wasn't running. I never had a muffler on my Hupp, do now, be interesting to see if it affects power.

Winton, you say? I've been told that the attached car is a Winton, what year is it?

It was supposedly the first car in my hometown of Alexandria, Louisiana, and shows the owner, Mr. Bentley, who was a very wealthy man who built a hotel there that still stands.

Louisiana History Museum Picture of the Week

Guest winton

Hi David,

Yes it appears to be an 03 winton--I'd have to check to varify the year. By the way, I wouldn't use water to clean the carbon out as it is usually rather oily. Better try try kerosene --this is probably a dirtier job however. This is my first contact using the AACA website & I hope that I am doing it right. I might add that the 09 hupp was my graduation present from HS--my father was the best. It has proved to be a truly great car thru the years--runs great and is always fun to drive.--winton

• 4 years later...

G,day Huppers David, when we got our 20 touring it had a muffler box that may have been original. Two cast iron end plates and a outer black iron tube with a smaller tube inside. Between these casings was tightly compressed a layer of soft asbestos about one eighth in thick, rolled in and the casings joined in a tinman,s clasp joint. I thought the asbestos insulator may have been to cause the inside of the muffler to run hot enough to burn out the soot. What think you? By the way the same muffler box is on the car now. Max Burke Nulkaba 2325 Australia

The asbestos inside is interesting, doesn't seem like it would be necessary. Hot enough to burn the soot would be too hot under a wooden car, I'd think!

I think the car is only marginally quieter with muffler installed. I ran a straight pipe for years, and it was never that loud and sounded good!