1929 Chrysler Series 65 Roadster Wire Wheels ID Help?

BombsAway

Hello, I just picked up this 1929 Chrysler roadster and am having trouble identifying these wire wheels. They are 18" split rim, and I would like to pursue having them restored. Can anyone help ID them and provide any recommendations on where to have them restored?

Thanks,

Drew

post-43649-143138133089_thumb.jpg

post-43649-143138133094_thumb.jpg

post-43649-143138133098_thumb.jpg

post-43649-143138133101_thumb.jpg

Hi, does your car have the spare mounted on the rear? If it does would you be able to post a picture of the bracket please. I need to make one and I don't know what it may look like.

thanks in advance

Leigh

Contact these people: Leader in Car Wire Wheel Restoration

I have not used them; restored mine myself.

Your wheels are similar to my 1930 Chrysler Model 70 (picture attached). I think in 1929 the model 65 and model 75 wheels were different. I was wondering in the post before mine did the person have a model 75?

post-31856-143138136611_thumb.jpg

I'm no expert but your wheels look like a set I had a little while ago. They are the same stud pattern and same amount of spokes as the Chrysler 66/70 wheels but the centre hub has a different profile. I'm thinking Hudson maybe?

Leigh

I had a set of these wheels a little while abo, the centre hub is a different profile to a Chrysler 66/70 wheel but the stud pattern is the same. I'm thinking Hudson. I'm no expert remember, I'm only guessing they may be Hudson wheels.

leigh

Drew is there a fuel pump on your car or vaccum tank it looks like it my be a 30 based on the wheels or a late model 29 the 1930 had a fuel pump the 1929 had a vaccum tank. Mike

Mike my car had an aftermarket fuel pump added, but originally had the vacuum tank. thanks

Notice the wheels on the 1930 Model 66.

Thanks for your help, I found this website that discusses (5) types of wheels options for 1929 Chryslers and it appears I have may have miss-stated mine as Buffalo hayes wire weehls and that they are possibly the Motor Wheels version that are held to the wheel by cap head bolts on the brake drum.

http://www.rodsandwheels.com/emagazine.php?flag=show_story&toc_id=382

By the way, you did a beautiful job on the wire restoration of your own wheels. Thanks for the photo.

Drew

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Your wheels are the most common wires for 29 Series 65s delivered with 6 1/2" hubcaps. They are interchangable with the other style that had the bolts outside a smaller (5") hubcap, but not the wooden spoke wheels which had different drums.

regards,

Narve N

3x Series 65

Guest martylum

Hi-I think your lock ring wheels may be just right for a Model 65. Chrysler was transitioning from external bolt to internal bolt wire wheels in that very time period.

These wheels probably should be painted the color of your body striping and should clean up and repaint nicely if the spokes aren't too rust pitted.

My 30 Desoto roadster also has the 6 bolt wire wheels but in a safety rim with no lock ring and in an 19" size as Chrysler seems to have gone to smaller wheels on the Chrysler sooner than on the lower priced lines such as Desoto.

Anyone who can pick a color to match your body stripe and knows how to paint wire wheels without runs should be able to make your wheels match the quality of your body paint.

Martin Lum

• 2 months later...

Hi all. My name is Daniel Gibson, and I just happened to come across this forum. This one caught my eye, as I believe that this the car that belonged to the late Bates Thomas. I bought Bates's 1922 Chevrolet Touring, and was seriously considering this car as well. I conversed in some detail with his son about this car, and decided that I already had my hands full. If you would like any more info about this car, please let me know. Here is what it looked like when it was pulled out of a shed in the early seventies:

9943300-R1-E002.jpg