1912 Buick Model 29 Roadster

Mark Shaw

Nice!

This is the one advertised a couple of weeks ago I guess, I seem to recall you were going to see it.

So Mark, what's the story - part restored? how long since it has been running? any history?

Looks like a lot of the hard work is done, or doesn't need doing, great to see it is now in good hands.

Stuart,

I was told the owner started the engine just to hear it run every month or so up to about 10-12 years ago. He got too ill to start it & passed away about 7 years ago. I just started soaking the engine, but it seems to have been rebuilt many years ago. I can't say that I like the color scheme, but everything appears to be original. The fenders need some work at the bottoms where they meet the running board, but the wood body is in great shape.

Guest Joe Kieliszek

Looks pretty neat Mark!

With the exception of the spark plugs being on an angle, the engine

otherwise looks to be a carbon copy of the 165 c.i.d. 4 banger on my

dad's Model 10 (even the green jugs!),

Thanks,

Joe :P

Mark, looks like you got yourself an early Christmas present! Hope Santa brings me one even if the colors turn out not to be correct, I don't mind. Congradulations on a beautiful new project. Neil

Guest Joe Kieliszek

Hi Mark,

Yes, the green on dad's model 10 jugs is fairly close to your shade (his might

be just a shade darker, but sometimes it becomes pretty tough to guage

color matches through photos alone). His rockers/ pushrods are painted

black. I've seen other model 10's and different early Buicks with green jugs, and 1 unrestored model 10 on which the jugs appear to be unpainted...

Thanks,

Joe

Guest cardinal905

Great find Mark ! When you say "soaking the engine" What do you mean, looks like I will be doing that. Is it JB Blaster in the cylinders only or do you proceed further. I suppose your engine is not stuck (I hope) but I suspect mine will be. Mike

Mike,

I put Marvel Oil in the cylinders and squirted Blaster penetrating oil on all the valves. I used motor oil to lube the mag and will be putting fresh grease in all the grease cups before giving them a few extra turns.... I will drop the pan when it comes out of the trailer & use blaster on all the bottom bearings too. I did turn the crank about 2" before I loaded it in the trailer just to see if the engine was free, but sitting that long without running means all the bearings are dry. I am in no hurry on this one....

Tom,

The 20 touring went to one of my local Buick buddies here in Vancouver, WA. I called him when I saw the listing and asked if he wanted to go with me to see the cars.... I drove & he bought lunch that day. We both made independent offers on each car and picked them up two days later on Haloween day.... The seller still has a 1920 HCS (Stutz) for sale, but she wants serious $$ for it...

• 8 years later...