Old Family Photo #5 of 7

Curti

Just the first glance at the small thumbnail, I saw the radiator and thought 'Kissel".

There was a restored car around here 35 yrs ago and the guy kept the headlights covered in bags to protect them??? Anyways, the radiator always caught my eye because it was so perfectly plated.

I looked up 25-26-27 Kissels. They seem to have the same basic body. Some have wire wheels ( which look much better than the wood spokes), sidemounts, drum or cone headlights two & three bar bumpers. I suspect most of this was just optional equipment.

This is a 1926 Kissel Model 6-55 Standard Speedster. The tear drop shape in the wheel spokes and the lights fitted on this car first appeared in 1926. There were some subtle changes in the shape of the fenders and a decrease in wheel size for the 1927 Model 6-55 speedsters.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

I agree totally with 27Kissel - it is a "Standard" 1926 Kissel Speedster, or "Gold Bug", Model 6-55.

Standard Models had no sidemounts, while the Deluxe series did.

The lights on the picture are identical to the lights on the 1926 Model 8-75 Kissel Gold Bug in the Simeon Museum.

Two-bar bumpers were generally used on the 6-55 models, while three-bars usually on the 8-75 series. But sometimes the Kissel Brothers mixed and matched what they had on hand.

The wheelbase on your picture looks shorter, as the 6-55 was shorter than the 8-75.

The wood wheels in your picture were standard, but most Gold Bugs buyers then up-optioned to the flashy Buffalo Wire wheels.

The horn in the pictured car is incorrect and a later ugly add-on. Kissel horns were inside and low on the bottom front of the engine

Kissel Gold Bugs were made in very limited quantities between 1919 and 1928. We believe 37 survive today from all years and only about 25 of those are restored, with the rest being parts or chassis. They are powerful, awesome, and head-turning show cars. I own one of few remaining Kissel Gold bugs. Mine is a 1923 Kissel Model 6-45 Gold Bug Speedster. The 6-45 was a bigger six, larger than many early 8's. It has been at two Concours shows and won once. I may even take it for one last "spin" today !

Thanks for posting, RON HAUSMANN