big unmarked taillight assy.

TomTIII

I can't find any markings on this light assembly, reminds me of some Fords... any ideas?

Can you get the part number that is molded into the inside of the die-cast housing? If so, it will be really easy to decode the part number to find the exact model and model year of the part.

Dave, On the 66 station wagon, the back up light insert was almost square, not a rectangle and the chrome bar did not go all the way across.. Think we are in the right timeframe and company, but still not the right car in my opinion.

Dave, On the 66 station wagon, the back up light insert was almost square, not a rectangle and the chrome bar did not go all the way across.. Think we are in the right timeframe and company, but still not the right car in my opinion.

I agree. However the '65, '67 and '68 units are different, as are the Ranchero lights from those years. I could not find any '66 Fairlane wagon light images (until now), but the other years were different and I assumed (incorrectly) that the Ranchero and wagon units were the same in '66, like they are in '67.

I found '66 Fairlane wagon lights ( My New 66 Fairlane Wagon....Back on Flickr - Photo Sharing! ). They look more like these lights than any other I've found, but they lack the "crosshair" decoration.

I think these may be a 1966 Canadian model's lights, either full-size, Ranchero. or Fairlane wagon clone in the Meteor or Monarch line. 1966 Meteor models in particular were noted for their "unique" taillights ( FORD OF CANADA HERITAGE )

The back up light on the 1966 Ford Wagon is horizontal instead of vertical like the one in question.

It is not 1966 Ford. It is something close. I can't find a photo but my fuzzy memory makes me think that a 1969 Mercury Montego wagon tail light looks like the one in question.

It cannot be a 1973 Ford lens. They came to mind first for me, but when you look at 1973 lenses they are clearly trapazoidal, not roughly rectangular in shape like the subject lens. Also the surrounding bezel/trim is nothing like the bezel on this lens.

I'm pretty sure this is a variant of a 1966 FoMoCo item.

1973_f47.jpg

1973_f45.jpg

Dave, I have to disagree...

Look at the enlarged photo of the lens itself at this link closely, the seller knows what this item came out of:

T16 1973 1974 FORD MERCURY GALAXIE LTD TAIL LIGHT:eBay Motors (item 170400342310 end time Nov-04-09 18:09:27 PST)

The trim surrounding the lens makes it appear that the lens itself is not rectangular, but I think that the lens itself is rectangular, it just has the surrounding trim that causes it to look different. The trim is wide enough to confuse you. You have to enlarge the photo to see it well enough to see that it is the same lens.

To be even more sure, look at the enlarged photo in the first post in this thread and then look at the enlarged photo in the ebay auction and you will even see the same off-centered rubber trim in both photos.

The angle of the original photo also causes an optical illusion that makes it appear more rectangular than it is. I suspect that TomTIII can confirm that the lens that he has matches the ebay lens.

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)