Steam-powered automobile ca 1902

Guest Jacobus2

Guest Jacobus2

Hi folks-

I'm hoping someone can identify this automobile. The people in it are my grandfather and my great-great-grandfather. There is another picture of the same car in a Columbus Ohio newspaper article from 1902, so I know it is vintage 1902 at the latest. Thanks for your help!

post-64703-143138129064_thumb.jpg

Guest Jacobus2
I can see quite a bit of similarity to a 1901 Pope-Toledo which was a steam car. Let's see what someone else says.

Thanks all! I am researching and writing the personal history of William Huston, my great great grandfather, and this will add one more little morsel. He and his wife took this automobile on a European tour ca 1905 - 1907. That must have been quite an adventure. Unfortunately there are only a handful of photos of this gentleman and a few family stories. I'm having to piece together most of his story from little scraps like this.

Guest Nick Howell

Hello Jacobus2,

As you know by now the car is a Toledo steam carriage, made in Toledo Ohio. I received a copy your photo via a friend in Australia! We both have Toledo's, his is 1901 and mine 1902. What is unusual about "yours" is that it has been modified from the original. This is the first time either of us has seen one with a Surrey top and to be bale to put that on the extra handrails and posts have been added.

Additionally there is a box that has been put in below the floor boards which has the backets attached to it for the front mudguards--also non standard. To put this box in place, which may have been made so that the driver could carry some tools, one, at least, of the two fuel tanks, has been moved lower (the cylinder shape below and behind the box).

An extra piece of coachwork has also been added between the curved front of the car, which is actually an aluminium casting, and the side "entrance"; this rectangular shape addition also appears to have either a crest or a large capital W painted on it.

If I was able to see a clearer scan of the original there are probably a number of other interesting points that will be revealed.

Hope this is of interest.

Guest Jacobus2

Nick-

Thank you for your interest. I've heard from Art Hart, who I think is one of your fellow Toledo enthusiasts, and he also offered his observations. William Huston, my g-g-grandfather pictured in the car, made his fortune in Columbus OH in the 1880s as a carriage manufacturer. His company was the Huston Spring Wagon Company. So he certainly would have been capable and interested in "tinkering" with his new toy. Also, I believe this photo was taken very near the time he would have been setting off to tour Europe with this auto. As for the symbol painted on the side my suspicion is that the W is for his name William. I've tried to look for an H embedded in it without luck, maybe you can see it. Perhaps it was a logo from his carriage company but I've been unable to see it anywhere else.

The photo is only 3.5 by 7" and is in rather poor condition. However, I have prepared a much higher resolution copy of the scan with no "noise reduction" or "sharpening" applied (in Photoshop) so you can have a closer look. I can't attach it here (too big) but if you'll send me your email address I will forward it to you. Thanks!

-Rick Van Stolk

Edited by Jacobus2 (see edit history)