Old Family Photo 2 of 7

Curti

I am sorry it took me a while to find my AQ Packard book to verify details. My first thought was that it might have been a third series Twin Six of 1922 or 1923; but the headlights are wrong, and it doesn't look as though it has a moulding on the side of the scuttle; though some special bodied cars lacked this feature. The strength of the front wheels looked more indicative of the 12 cylinder than the six. What looks like a black or dark open right front door, contrasting with the lighter colour scuttle, could have been special twin six; but it is likely due to position of the sun. The clincher that it is a six is the bonnet: the Twin Sixes had a very visible fastening of the hinges by rivets; and the hinge location was exactly at the top of the vertical. It is definitely not the 116"wheelbase of the first six of the 1920's, and the hinge position is on the vertical for both six and 8 cylinder cars. The date is definitely 1923. The eight cylinder had four wheel brakes from the beginning; while the six only grew front brakes in December 1923.

So it must be a late 1923 or early 1924 second series 6, and if that is a Runabout body it must be a 266 rather than the longer 133"wheelbase 233.

Edited by Ivan Saxton
Typographical error while nearly falling asleep (see edit history)