Old Family Photos #1 of 7

Curti

I have a picture of a 20 National. There are similarities for sure. I note the running board in my picture is full. It appears that in 1920 the National has step plates, a nickel band around the front of the rad shell and nickel headlights. I suspect the wire wheels could be aftermarket.

An interesting car, as noted, possibly a three door.

Look at the unusual curved outline of the very small rear door: Passengers would need to lift their feet to enter and alight. And compare the lines of the car with the sedan on p102 of Fred Roe's book "Duesenberg. The Pursuit of Perfection". It is an A model Duesenberg by Charles Schutte; and Fred suggests possible derivation from a design of 1922 by Wellington Everett Miller. You are in the ACD Club and in a similar time zone to Fred, Curti: If you gave him a ring he could probably tell you what that 1922 design was. That is about the right period. And because of his long association with HCCA in California, it is possible That Miller's photos and records could be conserved at Horseless Carriage Club Foundation in San Diego. That bonnet latch looks to be an unusual screw-down type which may be a clue. I cannot pick anything that looks like the front of the radiator in MoToR for January 1921; and the National that year is quite different.

It was not uncommon according to Hugo Pfau of LeBaron that custom body builders were asked to provide a differently styled radiator for a car. And the little curved door at the back would not be a problem for small children to scramble through; while there would be marginally less risk that they might fall out.

You have to look very carefully at Vintman's enhanced image, but it is definitely there. It is curved on the bottom, and it extends about 2/3 way down from the top of the body. Don't be fooled that there is no external opening latch. Look at any L-head or 6 cyl Mercer open car photo. You always had to reach over the top to open the doors. Obviously there was reason or preference to do this on those small back door(s). A friend in Melbourne has had an early 20's Stoewer probably for well over 50 years now. It has the most beautifully styled and crafted Waring Brothers 4 door sports body, finished in polished aluminium. The doors only come halfway down the body on that, and with the very low hood there is no way at 6ft 2in that I could ever get in or out in wet weather with the hood up. That little door is there, but you have to look very carefully.

Sure seems to be the hint of a very small door back there but the body looks like a Club four passenger Roadster with entry to the rear between the seats. The radiator has a Jordan look to it but those hub caps sure look a lot like the Briscoe Coronet. Could well be one of Briscoes offerings in the late teens

Although this National car is earlier, the "widow's peak" radiator shell design was carried through the make until it's demise in 1924. Your photo car does seem to have that detail or very similar.

post-37352-14313812876_thumb.jpg

• 14 years later...