Antique Tool For What?

hddennis

Normally, the internet helps me find just about anything but I'm stumped on something I thought would be solved in seconds.I 'm enclosing pictures of a Stanley tool sold to me as a wood rasp. I was pretty sure that was wrong and believe it to be a vixen file for auto body work. The only thing the internet helped with, was the statement that the SW stamped below the Stanley logo makes a tool more desirable. I can't find a model number, time frame, usage nor value. Anyone here know about Stanley tools?

Thanks, Howard Dennis

post-33891-143138124904_thumb.jpg

post-33891-143138124909_thumb.jpg

post-33891-143138124915_thumb.jpg

Given the fancy old houses that I have been in, I would not be supprised if these were also used on old time plasterboard and lath that had a radious. Also seen in churches that are well over 100 years old. Dandy Dave!

Thanks Dave, it still puzzles me why with a brand name as famous and collectible as Stanley I can't generate concrete information on what this is. It's almost like having a Model T Ford part and not being able to find out what the part is!

Howard Dennis

Guest mercman86

I would try and contact the Stanley company. They might have an archive or historical department that could help you. Is there a part number stamped on it?

Thanks Mercman86, I going to do just that, may have been overlooking the best possible source. I've grown so used to companies not caring about their past that I never even considered it just might work! No part number on it but you'd think they would know it if they made it. Wish me luck.

Howard Dennis

Well once again the modern American company has meet all my expectations and completely ignored 2 of my emails. Any company that can't at least acknowledge a simple email is way to busy to get my business!

Thanks to caring individuals on the internet, here's what I found:

"This is a No. 694 Half Circle File Holder for a "Vixen" file for auto body work. You will find it in the 1939 Catalog #139. Tool not included in Walter's book. Do not know value, sometimes this type of holder brings good money, mostly of limited interest from my observations."

Courtesy of Peter Evans at Sawmill Creek Woodworkers Forum

Howard Dennis

I do not work for Stanley, but think about it. This tool was was made and sold before most of us were born and the persons that work currently at Stanley Works probably do not know that tool from a potato peeler if they even know what that is. Give them some time and they might still come through with an answer.

I do not work for Stanley, but think about it. This tool was was made and sold before most of us were born and the persons that work currently at Stanley Works probably do not know that tool from a potato peeler if they even know what that is. Give them some time and they might still come through with an answer.

Sounds great on paper but when a website runs me around in circles and when I do finally ferret out the contact information and then after hitting the mail button it tries one last time to sidestep the email contact and shuffle me off on some list of unrelated answers I don't have much faith in ever hearing from them again. If they were really service oriented they would have at least had an automated reply that they received my email and were looking into it. This ain't my first trip around the block in trying to get information out of corporate America. Little details like this are just one of many reasons our country is in the mess it's in.

Howard Dennis

So our paths have crossed. I have been displaying stuff at CAMA since it's beginnings. I used to bring stuff to the Petibone School grounds in New Milford before CAMA had their show grounds at Kent. I donated a 1928 Hanson Power Shovel to the Kent club about 4 or 5 years ago, and run it at the gas up, as well as other shovels and equipment. :) Dandy Dave!

We probably walked right past each other. I worked for Heritage Automotive Restorations in Pawling from 1979-85. The last time I was at Kent was in the early 1990's. We brought a 1937 Ford 1 1/2 ton truck. It was green with black fenders and a natural wood flatbed. Myself & Ray Blauvet restored it for my uncle Charlie Dennis.

Howard Dennis