Identify this car from the 20's?

Guest kbvaughan

Guest James R. Lesniak

My best guess is that it is a DeSoto, possibly 1932. It appears to have a winter front covering up the horizontal grill bars, which look like the Miller Racers of the time, and it has the DeSoto Flying Lady radiator cap, split windshield and no center bar in the headlamps, with logo, which is 1933. Having twin horns, and front fender mounted spares, this is the DeLuxe model, and has wooden artillery spoke wheels. A very nice car, which I would love to own today! Jim Lesniak

Guest James R. Lesniak

Not sure, but the windshield surely looks Chrysler and DeSoto, plus those hub caps, the dual horns, and headlamp shape. I'm not an expert, but all my life I have been fascinated with the 1932 and 1933 DeSoto vehicles. These models have a chemistry thing with me. Just dug out my WPC News Magazines for December 1981 (1933 DeSoto, and Vol II Number Three for 1970) which confirms my belief that it is a DeSoto! Jim Lesniak

i based my guess on a book i have which is the American car spotters guide 1920-1939 . LaSalle is the only car that came near it , i also looked up anothe book , The PLYMOUTH and DeSoto Story by Don Butler , there was a resemblance there but that was all .

Not sure, but the windshield surely looks Chrysler and DeSoto, plus those hub caps, the dual horns, and headlamp shape. I'm not an expert, but all my life I have been fascinated with the 1932 and 1933 DeSoto vehicles. These models have a chemistry thing with me. Just dug out my WPC News Magazines for December 1981 (1933 DeSoto, and Vol II Number Three for 1970) which confirms my belief that it is a DeSoto! Jim Lesniak

Can you please show us the photo that will confirm the car is a DeSoto? I still say it is not. Yes, the Plymouth/DeSoto story has similar cars, but not with that grille.

• 1 year later...
Guest De Soto Frank

Are those General "Jumbo" wheels and tires on the car in the original post ?

Also, FYI - '33 De Soto grille did not taper and sweep out at the bottom, and the headlights had bezels that incorporated a thin strip that bisected the lens from top to bottom.

There are soo many Mopar features and characteristics in that car. I wonder if Cont used the same body manufacturers and parts suppliers as Chrysler??

Apart from the running gear it would have been cheaper and easier to do so for a little company building cars during the depression.

Manuel in Oz