Am I missing something

Guest Harry Connors

Guest Harry Connors

I just went through all the photographs I have on the 46 to 48 Connie and could not find one that had the engine side of the grill shown. Is there supposed to be a plate between the top of the grill (behind the hod release unit) and the radiator? I have three threaded holes on the rear of the panel that has the hood release latch on it. A photograph would be great! Thanks Harry

Guest Harry Connors

Thanks Phil That means that is another piece that is missing and will join the ever growing list of needed parts that I am sending out to folks. But all in all I am still satisfied with the trade. Harry

Hi John,

Posting photos on this forum isn't any harder than on the old one - just different.

1. Scroll down and click on the line that reads "Manage Attachments"

2. A new window will appear with the heading: "Upload File from your computer" followed by 10 occurrances of "Browse"

3. Locate the photo(s) you want to post and click on "Upload"

4. Wait for the screen to go blank and "Done" appears at the bottom of the window.

5. Close the window and click on "Preview Post" to see if everything looks OK, or just click on "Submit Reply" and you're done!

Try posting some photos of your gorgeous Luxrite Copper '40 Continental just in case some forum viewers aren't LZOC members yet!

Guest Harry Connors

Hi Phil I just tried that on my iMac and I hit a dead end trying to get into my photographs. I can do it with Windows but this one is a bit of a challenge. I will keep playing with it because if I could post photographs I think it would be easier to explain my problems. Harry

• 2 weeks later...

Harry, I ordered an air deflector from Merv Adkins. He had several. The pristine one was was a bit pricey so I had him send the "less than Perfect one and I straightened it. I have a question. On the end of the deflector nearest the radiator there are two attachments (nuts a part of the deflector--one on each side.) What do these attach to? Are these attachments sheet metal tabs.? I wonder if mine are missing or if there are additional brackets? Can any one shed some light on this. Thanks Glenn Lorei b6vt

Guest Harry Connors

Glen if you need a photograph of the brackets that are on the inter sheet metal of the fenders send me an email and I will send you a photograph. I was at the hall today and worked on the Connie and took several photographs of various item on the car to include the brackets. Harry.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Harry Connors

Thanks if I had one I could have them copied for less than $50.00 each. From the photographs I have seen it is a ribbed piece of flat metal with a flange on one end and two tabs on the sides. Harry

Guest pipeweld

then you should stop wasting time and do that.myself ,original parts are best. if you want it to look right then you should have a die made because this was stamped, not a bent piece of sheetmetal which would be ok if you are building a rat rod .if that is the case a piece of cardboard is all you need.:rolleyes:

Guest Harry Connors

Sorry if I offended you but I am not wasting time; learning what parts are missing on this car that has been in a barn in Germany for the past eight years and then finding the parts for it is part of the restoration. I agree that original parts are best but sometimes they are not available or are more than I can afford or am willing to pay and I have to make them. I have a small lathe and milling machine I use to make parts for my cars that I cannot locate and I have a friend who's brother in law runs a sheet metal plant that makes body parts in Poland that fixes me up with parts. Should I have something made by them it looks just like it came from the factory. I traded into this car and negotiated over 14 months on it to get it. See the posts I made last year. The great thing about this forum is all of the assistance I have received on and off line from its members. Since the Army owns my time I only get my Saturdays to work on it as Sunday is family day. Harry

geeez... harry, wait....there are lots of postwar lincoln out there....many folks have the stuff..

many old timers that dont do email etc...

pick up a lzoc magazine...many parts vendors..some are reasonable...especially for used postwar tin..the car will operate without this part until you make a connection..

I am going though piles of postwar stuff and will keep my eye open...but may be a while

Guest Harry Connors

Thanks Bwatoe! As I noted I have been getting great support from the forum members on and off line. I now have an original air dam on the way from one of its members. I agree with what you noted and I am not in a hurry; I just want to be sure to have everything I need before digging into this grand old car. That is why I joined here and started ordering parts a year before I finalized the trade. I not going to be building a show car but do want it to be right and to be able to be driven. Thanks again to everyone for the assistance, the notes of encouragement and tips. We will get this car back on the road. Harry

Harry is by no means wasting time,he is in the armed forces for us He is in germany,with his car ,I do not know what was said through pm,s,But from reading his post,he is making time,not wasting itIt seems to me ,there will be another nice lincoln in the states soon.Harry ,send or post progress.Thanks

Guest pipeweld

a simple no thanks or no reply at all was all thats needed. not a rant about what a part is worth and how easy it is to make.if that was the case he wouldn't be on here looking for the part.being in the service has nothing to do with this.

Guest Harry Connors

Again I apologize to you if I offended you pipeweld and I am also sorry that you see my comments as a rant. The great thing about the internet is its ability to connect people with common interests and to share tips which as I have noted the majority of the members of this forum do. My interest on this forum is to gain as much knowledge from its members on getting my Connie back on the road as I can. THe fact that I am in Germany means that I have to rely almost solely on the forums members for assistance as I cannot expect to see a Connie at the local car show. Harry

Guest pipeweld

Harry, you don't have to apologize to me .also the brackets that go with this air dam are stamped pieces not flat. when you find one remember this air dam and brackets are right in your face when you open the hood.good luck Jerry

Guest Harry Connors

Thanks Old Car Fan but another member of the forum has already put one in the mail for me. Like I have noted before this is a great group and I really appreciate the assistance of all as I attempt to get this beauty back on the road. Harry