1938 Club Sedan 12-dome lights

Guest 49packard

Guest 49packard

I am helping a friend with a 1938 Club Sedan Dome light. The passenger side pillar has a 3 position switch with in one position operates the courtesy lights/another the dome light and the 3th position is off.

The door switches do nothing.

Question 1-is the pillar switch correct?

#2-the door switches have a ball etc-how do they work?

#3-are the door switches suppose to operate the dome light/courtesy lights?

I found a wiring diagram for a 39 1707 on the packard web site-it also shows no pillar switch but does show the dome light/courtesy lights wired into the parking lights. Is this the same for 38

thks

David

The door jamb switches should control the dome light as well at the running board courtesy lights on a 12. Usually there are two switches, one on each B pillar, one for the dome light and the other for the quarter lights, and they are on/off switches. On the jamb switches, the ball pushes in on the mechanism for the switch, pretty much like other push in jamb switches.

Guest 49packard

This car has one B pillar switch(driver) that controls the "reading lights" on the sides of the back seat. The other pillar B switch(passenger) is a 3 position switch and the door jam switches do nothing-is that correct? I found on a wiring diagram for a 1707 which shows the parking lights need to be energized for the dome light to work???

David

The dome light will work without the parking lights on, but the running board courtesy lights do need the parking lights on I believe. This is sort of odd, since you would have to open the front door and turn on the lights, then open the door for the people getting in the back. I don't think that any of my 38s have a 3 position switch for the dome, but I would have to check. The jamb switches should always turn on the dome, no matter what, I think, at least in standard configuration, unless an owner wanted to be able to get in the car without being seen at night and had that modified.

Guest Trunk Rack

the reason for the three-position switch on the pillar, is because on SOME sedans, typically long-wheel-base & formals, there is an additional 3 way switch for the REAR dome light, under the dash.

CAREFULLY pull off the lense of the rear dome light . I say "rear" dome light, because some came from the factory with both FRONT compartment & REAR compartment dome lights, on occasion, this kind of installation can be found in ordinary four door sedans, as well as long wheel-base-divided compartment bodies. Interesting to note whether it has two separate and separately wired bulb fixtures. (you never know what quirks you will find on Senior Division bodies towards the end of production ! )

PS - good luck trying to repair those "ball" type rear compartment dome light switches. I gave up on mine and used a modern "off the shelf" dome light switch.

How bad is the wiring inside the pillar ? Great place for dangerous shorts !

Edited by Trunk Rack (see edit history)