1941 hood I.D. questions

Pete Phillips

A friend is looking for a hood for his 1941 Special. Another friend has a hood for a 1941 Super, but I know they are not the same, since the Super has the hidden cowl in '41.

I have a 1941 hood here in my garage, but I do not know which body style or series it fits. Once upon a time, someone told me that there is a number stamped under the hood that tells what series and style it fits. Seems like mine was a #5--I haven't pulled it out to look lately. Does any 1941 expert know the code on these hoods? Or is there any other way to identify which hood fits which cars?

Thanks for any help.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, Texas

I couldn't find any markings on my hood...doesn't mean they aren't there, perhaps I just missed or didn't look in the right spot.

On my 41SE, the side of the hood measures about 58" from the back corner to the rear of the front brace. The mid-line measured about 39.5" from the point near the cowl vent to the back end of the hood ornament. Of course, typing this, if you were looking at a hood without an ornament, that might make it tougher. I hope this gives something to go by.

I wish I could remember everything when I bundle up to go out to the car.

4-3/4" - back of rear brace to edge of hood at inmost point

41-1/4" - outside of front brace to outside of rear brace

10-1/2" - approximate from front of front brace to front end of hood

Time to run outside again....

51" - front of hood to back along centre line

That increased to about 62.5" if I curve the tape along the curve of the hood