68 Skylark Custom in The Netherlands

Guest 1968skylark

Guest 1968skylark

Hi,

I'm new here. I just want to take the opportunity to introduce myself and my '68 Buick Skylark Custom. I live in The Netherlands. The car (the kids call her Claire) has been in my posession for 2 years now.

Repainted once, for the rest largely original ('cept for the rims). Originally a white top, blue car.

Doesn't go fast (2 speed automatic) but with the handbuild stainless dual exhaust with great sound she's just the best for a Saturday night cruise.

Best part of it all. When I drive around in it, you make a lot of people happy (O wow, look at that car over there daddy!).

Kind regards,

Ruud

722116952_6_HjvX.jpeg

Guest 1968skylark

Pete,

Hurts me just a little that you make a positive comment on another man's Chevy sitting next to my Buick (ok, it is a nice Chevy) ;-)

Next picture is for you, so you can positively identify.

752983007_5_Uhkp.jpeg

But I must add another picture. This is the Skylark sitting next to MY '76 Chevy Monte Carlo. First Owner, fully documented, 18000 miles!

698171142_6_hbjS.jpeg

Guest 1968skylark

Not a really good one. I'll make some and upload a few during the weekend.

Have some questions on the interior, especially the steering wheel. I'm not sure it's the correct one.

Guest 1968skylark

Interior pix. Any comments on the steering wheel? In all original folders I have seen the Skylark Custom seems to have another one.

754629200_5_UBbK.jpeg

754630151_5_ZVW9.jpeg

Also, I´m having trouble finding replacement lenses for the rear interior lighting. OPG and other sources claim to have them for ´68 Skylarks but the advertized pictures do not match the ones I need. Any tips on that would help as well. Regs.

754631298_5_Ti6u.jpeg

The interior is nicely done, but since you've seen others, it's probably not a surprise that it's got some major changes. I like the changes, and you are correct, the wheel is wrong. That looks like a newer full sized Buick wheel or a Cadillac wheel from the mid 70's to me.

Take a look at the Legandary Interiors Catalogue on line for comparison: Legendary Auto Interiors

Guest 1968skylark

Smartin thanks. Now I know for sure I'll go huntin' for a correct wheel.

cfBuick, never selling this one either! I saw a '68 convertible once. Awesom car.

Thriller thanks. Cool to see you name your cars. The Monte Carlo is named after the first owner, "Zeena", Claire is something the kids came up with after hearing the B52 song 'Planet Claire". The 98 STS is simply referred to as "the Caddy".

Guest 1968skylark

The Monte Carlo I know. It was purchased in San Jose, CA after its first and only owner , Mrs Zeena Mary Thomson, passed away. It was shipped to Holland in 2008. I bought it in the spring of this year and formally imported it.

The Skylark I do not know. I do know it still carries an April 1997 North Carolina DMV sticker and it 's gotten it's Dutch licence in July of that same year. So it must have been shipped to the NL somewhere in between.

I have tried to recover it's lineage through some VIN check-sites, however without any success. Any tips?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 75RivGS

Ruud, welcome aboard here as well :)

Noticed the courtesy lenses on your sail panels were not the same as in the link I gave you (DBC-board).

Did you tried v8buick.com? Lots of A-body knowledge over there