Identify 2 Cars - 1 is a Buick, 1 is not

Steve Hagy

Hi,

The attached photo shows a pair of Chief's cars for the B.F.D. Among the mysteries of this photo is the fact that I have no idea which B.F.D. this is, so if the stone building looks familiar, I'm really interested in the location of the picture. Of the 2 cars shown, the one on the right appears to be a Buick. I only believe this because I can read the hub cap on the rear wheel. I would like to know the year and model of both cars along with the manufacturer of the auto on the left. Let the answers begin!

Thanks,

Steve

post-55824-143138114942_thumb.jpg

Only the hood louvers and the radiator finish is different for the most part, so I would say both are the same make. Maybe one is a different year or a different model, but otherwise look the same to me.

They both looks like Buick 1918-1920,the right ones seems to be 1918 and the left ones 1919-1920 ,becuse of the more luvres on the left car,but I just wonder why there are a nickled radiator on the oldest? car,the model seems to be 44 on both cars with 118" wheelbase.

Leif in Sweden.

I have a book with photos of fire chief's cars from the teens through the late 90's and there are several photos of 1914-1919 Buicks that were purchased by the Boston, Mass. Fire Dept. All of them have the similar bell mounted on a harp over the radiator, just as in your photo. Still looking for a photo with the stone building, but I think it is Boston for sure. I'll post a photo later today if I get a chance.

Frank

I have a book with photos of fire chief's cars from the teens through the late 90's and there are several photos of 1914-1919 Buicks that were purchased by the Boston, Mass. Fire Dept. All of them have the similar bell mounted on a harp over the radiator, just as in your photo. Still looking for a photo with the stone building, but I think it is Boston for sure. I'll post a photo later today if I get a chance.

Frank

Hi Frank,

Boston it is! I do believe that you're correct. I checked the book First to the Flames and a 1920 Buick is shown that looks like the car on the left. Also, on the Boston Fire Historical site there is a photo of another similar car: Boston Fire Historical Society Look under the section for Division 1. If you have an interest in fire apparatus, or old street scenes of Boston, there are scores of neat interesting pictures in that area of the site.

I never took this photo as being the Chief of Department for a major city. Back in that era it was pretty common for the Chief to have a much nicer ride. This was a learning experience as the book with the photo and information was less than 6 feet from me when I wrote the original post!

Buick experts: if you can pin down the exact year of the car on the left I sure would like that. My thanks to all who replied.

Steve

Hi Frank,

Back in that era it was pretty common for the Chief to have a much nicer ride.

Steve

A much nicer ride???

I would have thought any public official would have been pleased with a top of the line model 44 Buick.

Still, I guess he could have been hanging out for a 1918/19 T model Ford!