Mystery Engine

oldcar

Sorry Larry, but it is definitely not a marine engine The rest of the car is in the same workshop. As well as the weird rocker arms etc this car had the first ever production monocoque construction using an angle iron "space frame" with a stressed skin of steel panels, copper riveted and soldered on. pre-dating the Lancia Lambda by about 10 years.

Guest Casper Friedrich

an early Lagonda, probably an 11.1 or 11.9. In the 20s the model was called 12/24, but then Lancia Lambda already was on the market.

Of course Larry is quite correct it is an early 11.9 1918-20 As a Lagonda enthusiast for over 35 years I have always lusted after an 11.1 Sadly there is only one known here in Australia although several in the UK. Does anyone know of any in the USA? Attached is a photo of the restored body in the same workshop.

post-51681-143138114626_thumb.jpg

Hello Casper

I have had a look at your "my space" What a lovely little car. I am also most interested to see your photograph of the 11.1 tourer, the only one built. I spent some time tracking it down whilst in the UK in 1984. Only to find that it had been sold only hours earlier to a well known dealer. I visited him just as he was unloading the car from his trailer having collected it less than an hour earlier. Sadly the price had trebled in that short time, putting it beyond my reach. I then lost track of it until now. Where is it now?

Bernie J.

• 3 months later...
Guest patrick jacob
Of course Larry is quite correct it is an early 11.9 1918-20 As a Lagonda enthusiast for over 35 years I have always lusted after an 11.1 Sadly there is only one known here in Australia although several in the UK. Does anyone know of any in the USA? Attached is a photo of the restored body in the same workshop.

Hi all,

Do you also have info and pics about the Australian 11.1? Never heart about this one.

I look for all 11.1 11.9 and 12/24 survivers and look for pics, chassis numbers and engine numbers. But you already found the myspace :)

So all info, pictures ect. is very welcome !

The 11.1 from the states is for Sale. (with UK plates) You can find it scrolling down on:

Used Rolls Royce and Used Bentley Motor Cars

So "OLD CAR" , this is your chance. as there are just a few left. See the picture , what I can't use due to copyright..... but I think (hope) they don't mind for this forum as it wil be free advertising. So if the owners read this, send me a mail for using the pics.:D

lagonda-3.jpg

But also very interesting is RU1310 a rare 12/24 Saloon ( sole surviver ) whats for sale for a while. (It has another plate at the moment)

Vintage Cars Lagonda 12 24 from Drive On

26lagonda11826.jpg

Groeten,

Patrick

Edited by patrick jacob (see edit history)