Avanti R2, 1963, refresh

It is Tuesday, mid PM, September 30th. I think that my arms have fallen off. Done polishing and cleaning. I declare the car done, err well almost. I still have to take a look at the rear brakes to see why one is dragging. That is the job for another day.

Alice and I put up the top this morning. I keep it covered with a queen size fitted sheet so it was pretty clean. Just a few stink bugs managed to get under the sheet. Joe Hopkins told me to buy a few of those clothes rollers to get off the dust and grime. Bought a couple that had 3M sticky tape. It worked great.

David Coco (trimacar on this forum) did my top and back seat. Everything still looks as new, and I think that it has been five years or so ago. Thanks David!

Here are a few pics of the car.

post-48480-143142748416_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142748419_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142748422_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142748424_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142748426_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142748428_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14314274843_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142748416_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142748419_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142748422_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142748424_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142748426_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142748428_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14314274843_thumb.jpg

John, the car looks great. Better than it ever has for as long as I've known the car. I am sure you will do well at Hershey. Has this car ever been judged in an AACA competition or just at the National Buick shows?

Wait, wait. I think you missed a spot. Oh, maybe it's the camera angle.

It does indeed look great John. I like how the wood top irons show outside the top. An unusual and interesting feature. That burgundy looks really nice on the body too. I'm restoring a 1925 Dodge touring car and am trying to decide on a color for the body (with black fenders). Do you know the color code perchance?

Mike, thanks. From the notes I have from the previous owner, the color is from a 1969 VW Karmann Ghia. I have been looking on the www at what the code might be. VW did not have a burgundy, but several reds. I think this color is L554 Cherry Red, code DBC71511T. To be sure I would have to get and compare a color chart. I do have a small can of touch up paint so have been using that for minor stuff.

John, she's looking good. Everytime I see it, I'm reminded of the time I was shopping for a GT Hawk. One of the Hawks I looked at shared a garage with a Buick that looked a lot like yours. And if I'm not mistaken, it was a '23 as well. I'll look to see if I have a picture.

Joe, the car has been judged once before at the Lexington, KY, AACA regional meet a few years ago. It was not as complete as it is today; and I was a novice as to what could or could not be on the car. As I remember it received a 2nd place award, if that is such a thing.

It is Thursday, October 1st, early PM. Headed into town and picked up five gallons of fuel for the 23 McLaughlin Buick. That should give me about half a tank of fuel for a three or four mile run. Should be plenty. I did treat it with Stabil.

I arrived home to find the FedEx truck had brought my two tire tube dust caps. Now every tire has one. However, the spare has a very long rubber stem and the special dust cap does not fit all the way down on the stem. I am just going to leave it. At least it is there. The judging rules says it must have one, it does not say that it has to fit.

I received two carpet samples from LeBaron Bonney; one was reddish brown, and the other a darker brown. I think now I am just going to look around Hershey and see what is available there. If I find some that will be great and will put it in the car, if not, will just skip it for now.

Thanks David. I am trying.

Spent the last two hours hand applying Meguiars Leather Cleaner and Conditioner to every inch of leather I have on the car. Really worked it into the leather, Seats, door panels, etc. My hands are sooooooo soft now. Everything looks really nice. The leather looks nice and buffed rather than a dull mat finish. I will go over everything tomorrow to make sure all the high gloss is knocked off.

Found two more Phillips head screws, where are these things coming from?

Also discovered that the tools, jack, air pump are not judged. Also the robe rail blanket needs to come out during judging. Things are getting a bit easier.

John I have enjoyed your Anvanti posts for a long time and tour buick posts.

I wish you the best of luck at Hershey but that valve stem cover that does not fit will get a one point deduction if the judges find it.

Al Gerisch

1923,1924,1927 gardners

1929 chevy coupe

1953 chevy 210 delux

1965 corvair convertible

David, thanks for the offer, but figured it out. The rubber stem is long, almost three inches. So decided to just deflate the tube and see if it would push in far enough so the dust cover fit closer to the rim. With no air in the tube it does push in so only about an inch is exposed. Just about perfect. So put on the cover, it fits now with just about 1/8 inch gap. I can live with that for now. I do have another tube, but I have to get it to the repair shop as it has a leak in it. A job for another day.

Going to put the rear of the car on stands and do a brake adjustment. As I said before I think that one side or the other is not working correctly. I need Alice to work the pedal while I look at all the rods and levers to see what is up. This is the last thing I need to do to the car before the show. After the brake adjustment I plan to strap her down and lock up the trailer.

Al, OMG! But I do want to thank you for the help. Looking forward to meeting you.

Thursday, October 2nd, PM. Worked for five hours adjusting the brakes. Found out that only one side was doing the braking. Now at least I have both shoes on both sides clamping down. One side is better than the other. Found a nut was causing a linkage arm to not travel it full swing. Tomorrow I will take it out for a run to see if it is better than before. I will post pics later on tonight. We are going to the Big Apple Circus in a few minutes. Looking forward to it.

It is Friday, October 3rd, AM; and of course it is raining. So will not be taking out the 23 McLaughlin Buick this morning for a brake test. I think I will lube the steering box. I have a can of gloss black paint and will be doing some touch up painting on the front suspension area.

I fiddled and fiddled with different brake adjustments and finally got the two shoes on each wheel to work together. Their are three adjustments on the wheel itself, and then the rods that transmit the force from the pedal to each wheel. Getting them in sync is rather difficult when you do not know what each really does in relationship to the other levers, which actually cause the shoes to grip the brake drum. Not as simple as it looks.

On a fun note. We went to the Big Apple Circus last night. Our big night out. The circus performers were great and we had a great time at the little show. Maybe not as grand as the big Vegas style shows, but the performers were excellent and we were able to get up close to see all the action. Well worth the effort to go see them if they are in your area.

post-48480-143142760031_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142760034_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142760036_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142760039_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142760041_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142760031_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142760034_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142760036_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142760039_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142760041_thumb.jpg

It is Saturday, October 4th, early PM. Figured out the brake adjustment procedure with the help of two manuals that I have in my collection. The "Dyke's Automotive and Motor Encyclopedia" of 1919 and "My Automobile - Its Operation Care and Repair" of 1924 were both very helpful in figuring out what the procedure for adjusting mechanical rod brakes.

It turns out that one control rod, which controls the length of the pull against a lever was half on. This had the effect of limiting the amount of pressure that could be applied to the shoes, and therefore it clamping and stopping ability.

I have released the tension of both control rods so that the levers are in the relaxed position or full off. I then readjusted and check the brake shoes to make sure that they are correctly positioned around the drums. There are three places where adjustments can made to keep the shoes 1/32 off the drums. The final step now is to adjust the two main control rods so they just engage the main brake clamping lever. This will take up all the slop in the rods and make the direct link to the pedal.

I will have Alice work the pedal as I make the final adjustments to make sure the brakes are fully engaged and are able to stop the car.

Still Saturday, but PM. Alice helped with the final adjustments of the brakes. Both work equally and actually stop the wheel. I took it out for a two mile test drive and she stopped easily with no wandering as before. So the brakes are finally adjusted and working correctly. I am ready for the big show.

I ran the car back onto the trailer and strapped her in for the trip.

post-48480-143142762933_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142762936_thumb.jpg

Looks like a winner to me, just go ahead and get AACA to send you the badge now! Seriously, car looks great and best of luck in the show, am sure it will do well, and you'll have a lot of admirers and a lot of fun...

It is Monday, early, October 6th. Went to start the Avanti yesterday to go to a neghborhood car party. No start. Had to push it out of the way with the tractor so I could get the Jaguar out of the garage. Now the Avanti is in the garage and will go up on jack stands today. And of course, the new battery seems like it is starting to give out. I really do not want to buy another of those long and heavy batteries. I am considering moving the batter to the rear of the car.

It is Wednesday, October 8th, 6 PM. Just got home from a day at Hershey. Up at 4 AM this morning and Wayne and I were off at 5 AM. We dropped off the trailer at about 8:30 and then headed to the show. Picked up our show folder at 11. So we are all set for Saturday.

Beautiful day and temps in the low 70s. Perfect for walking the fields and looking at parts and cars. Here are just a sample of the cars that I liked. Will take a couple of forum post to publish them all.

We left about 2:30 for the long drive home. I am a zombie and pooped. But glad we have the car up there so we will have much less hassle.

post-48480-143142768936_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142768939_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142768942_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142768944_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142768946_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142768948_thumb.jpg

It is Friday, October 11th, AM. Heading out to get the Suburban fueled up. Gas is at a very low price of $2.95. I got 10.5 mpg towing the trailer to Hershey, and 15.3 mpg coming home without the trailer.

Here are a couple of pics of the Hershey program page and my windshield placard. We will be leaving at about 4 AM to be on the show field at about 8:30. That is the plan anyway. A light rain for the morning is expected.

I did work on the Avanti yesterday. The battery seems to be kaput. It will charge to 13.2 volts, but within a hour it drops to about 10 volts. I am going to charge it this afternoon after I disconnect it from the car to make sure that something on the car is not draining it. The engine will still turn over very slowly, but will not fire. So looks like I am off to NAPA on Monday.

The Jaguar is still in the trailer, all ready for the show on Sunday. Of course, rain is expected. This will be the last show of the year for us. We are burned out.

post-48480-143142771409_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142771412_thumb.jpg

Edited by unimogjohn (see edit history)

Update on the Avanti battery situation. Disconnected the battery from the car and charged it up. The charger went to fully charged at 13.28 volts. An hour later it was 12.64 volts. So it has some internal short.

I found the NAPA commercial warranty, 24 months, how long have I had it, 25 months. The cost for a new 3EE battery now is about $130. This is my second new battery since I bought the car in 2009. Looks like they last no longer than 2 years.

So have decided to move the battery to the trunk. Bought a complete battery relocation kit from Summit Racing for $165 including shipping. I have a couple of spare batteries so I do not have a new battery expense at this point. This will also get all that weight off the fender apron and the front of the car.

Another Avanti project to schedule before winter really sets in.

post-48480-143142772009_thumb.jpg

It is Saturday, October 11th, PM. Just got home safe and sound from Hershey at 8 PM. Left this morning at 3:30 AM so it has been a long day. Rained hard all the way to Hershey, and continued for a couple of hours at Hershey as we tried to decided if we were going to show the car or head for home. At 8:30 AM we decided to pull it out of the trailer and head to the show. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead. At about 10 AM the hard rain stopped and we had some drizzle, but the show went on.

The show was well attended and about 80% of the registered cars were on the field, the others were scared off due to the rain.

We had about two miles from the trailer parking area to the show field. The car overheated on way into the field so we looked like a steam car. Opened the hood and saw the reason why it was so hot, the fan belt had broken. I had a spare but it was two miles away. But at the end of the show I got a ride back to the truck/trailer and move them to the park. Then got the spare leather belt and put it on the car. Ah, the overheating problem fixed.

We had a great time. Lots of folks stopped to talk to us about the car. Even had forum members stop by for a chat. It was great to finally meet Al.

Took over 70 pics so will post them over the next couple of day.

We have the Jaguar show tomorrow.

post-48480-143142775244_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142775248_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14314277525_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142775511_thumb.jpg

No news on the judging yet. But we do have a Greg Hershey report. Have to run out and start the Jaguar. For once, no rain today, but it is very wet from yesterday's storms around VA and PA. I do expect a muddy field.

Here is Greg's report.

"Spent the week traipsing the Hershey, Pa flea market and auto show. Found a few things and ordered some for the 1910 Overland that's waiting in the wings for its turn. It was also a good week for reuniting with old friends and making more. This morning's show was rained on but not rained out.

~~~~~~~NEWS FLASH!~~~~~~~~~~

Paul Rose wins a First Place with his low mileage Avanti!

Nothing like buying a ready to go prize winner. Sure beats working for years to win a Second Place.

Leaving Pa. a little before lunch, I arrived at home base to find my rebuilt heater valve waiting, so I took a few minutes to install it in the 5054. Tomorrow should hear the car run again."

=

post-48480-14314277575_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142775769_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142775788_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142775806_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142775825_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142775843_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143142775861_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14314277588_thumb.jpg

The Rambler in one of your pictures is a beautiful original car, owned by a gentleman in Richmond, Virginia.

When bringing it to shows, he used to put a little piece of tape on the windshield, with a lined through "$9000" and marked "SOLD". The gullible would gasp. (Actually, you know, there's no such word as gullible. Go look it up in a dictionary, it's not there...)

At Hershey this year, car was in a flea market space, same thing, but price at $15,000 crossed out and marked sold.

Values have gone up, you know!