Electra in France

Guest mino

hi everybody

well,Im MINO,I live in west of France,47 years old,a wife and 3 childrens

I owned several french old cars,and in april of this year,I bought a 1966 Buick electra 225 4doors sedan

That car was in the sixties,the car of the GABON ambassador in Paris,the title mention an adress in WASH DC and there is a dealer plate on the shrunk wich is CAITHNESS,I don't have any information about this,if somebody have some,i'll take all ;)

I'm the third owner,the previous owner kept it during 40 years with an another 70 Electra and a Cadillac seville always in a garage?:)

It have only 48000 miles ans it's in exellent condition exept the windshield wich is cracked,the weatherstrip has to be change and the fuel gauge don't work very well;

it's well equiped with electric windows and seats,AM/FM radio and electric antenna,air conditionning and powered bu a 401 ci engine and a superturbine 400 with 5 gear.

It's not difficult for me to say that 's a big pleasure to drive it every week end

thank you for reading me and my poor english,now I must try to put somme pics

BYE

That "Caithness" that is affixed to the trunklid sure looks like a dealer marking; dealers back then typically put metal logos advertising themselves on a spot like that. In more recent years, these advertisements have become stickers, or license plate frames. Maybe there was a dealer called "Caithness Buick" or similar in the Washington DC area.

Nice car! Original exterior paint color?

Thanks for your welcome and informations

in fact,this color is not an original ,the previous owner painted it like that when he restore all the car 20 years ago;in my club"The American car club of france",they call my car" the ingot":D

the original paint was "Saddle mist poly"

I'm looking for the vacuum hose routing diagram,if one of you can give it to me ,it will be great

au revoir

I don't know how the previous owner manage it,i'll had to ask him,but he show me pics of this car on the ambassy park in Paris with ambassy licence plates 0243CD3,thats all I know

Welcome to the board, Mino.

Bretagne is a very beautiful piece of France. Took my Riviera to Rennes and St. Malo last summer.

Always loved the '66 Electra for its massive rear and rear lights

Guest Calipero

Sorry, I am just thinking in a very metarialistic way but in my opinion the fact it was a Gabon embassy official car in the past theoretically increases the value of the car by factor X.

I mean - 1961 Lincoln Continental is a nice piece and it has its price - but the value of that one JFK used (and died in)... you know what I mean.

I'm not sure that the Gabon ambassador in Paris in 1966 was as famous as JFK ,in any case he didn't let historic remark behind him:p,but everybody can immagine a big black man smoking a cigar crossing Paris in this electra with driver and bodyguards :)

post-63905-143138112994_thumb.jpgit's me and the Edsel isn't mine alas!

post-63905-143138112972_thumb.jpgthe lady sleep

post-63905-143138112976_thumb.jpgAnna love this car

post-63905-143138112978_thumb.jpgdealer plate

post-63905-143138112981_thumb.jpgthe seats

post-63905-143138112983_thumb.jpgthe captain welcome you aboard

post-63905-143138112986_thumb.jpgin a meeting in britany

post-63905-143138112987_thumb.jpgout for lunch

post-63905-14313811299_thumb.jpgan AMC Pacer visit the BUICK

post-63905-143138112992_thumb.jpgsomewhere in britany

not lowered but shock absorbers must be change

post-63905-143138113312_thumb.jpgMayfest in my town

post-63905-143138113315_thumb.jpgcruising with menbers of my club

post-63905-143138113317_thumb.jpgmy daily driver

post-63905-14313811332_thumb.jpg my father's car I restore in 2003 (Renault 16 TS)

post-63905-143138113324_thumb.jpgmy 70 citroen DS with hydropneumatic suspension

post-63905-143138113329_thumb.gifthe flag of my country

• 4 years later...
Guest Mbarnes
hi everybody

well,Im MINO,I live in west of France,47 years old,a wife and 3 childrens

I owned several french old cars,and in april of this year,I bought a 1966 Buick electra 225 4doors sedan

That car was in the sixties,the car of the GABON ambassador in Paris,the title mention an adress in WASH DC and there is a dealer plate on the shrunk wich is CAITHNESS,I don't have any information about this,if somebody have some,i'll take all ;)

I'm the third owner,the previous owner kept it during 40 years with an another 70 Electra and a Cadillac seville always in a garage?:)

It have only 48000 miles ans it's in exellent condition exept the windshield wich is cracked,the weatherstrip has to be change and the fuel gauge don't work very well;

it's well equiped with electric windows and seats,AM/FM radio and electric antenna,air conditionning and powered bu a 401 ci engine and a superturbine 400 with 5 gear.

It's not difficult for me to say that 's a big pleasure to drive it every week end

thank you for reading me and my poor english,now I must try to put somme pics

BYE

Caithness Buick was located at 7700 Wisconsin Avenue in Bethesda, Maryland. This is just outside of Washington, DC. It was torn down and there is now a high rise apartment building and retail space there.

I once owned a 1953 Buick Special originally purchased at Caithness.

By the way, a Super Tubine 400 transmission is a 3 speed automatic with a switch pitch torque converter. It is essentially a Turbo 400 with a variable pitch rotor in the torque converter.