How many revs is that

oldcar

Guest DeSoto Frank

If you look closely at the face of the gauge, right under "R.P.M.", in tiny letters, it reads "Hundreds".

This tach reads from 300 to 2400 R.P.M, with "red-line" at 2300 R.P.M.

These cable-drive tachs usually connected to a special fitting on the distributor, or other connection to the camshaft.

Wonder what it was used on?

( took a second look at the photo - the style of the numerals makes me wonder if this was an aviation tach ?)

Possibly some off road equipment like a bulldozer or road grader. S.W. made tacs for many applications. Is there a model or part number on the gauge ? Maybe you can look that up.

I worked in the mines, and usually, with exception of trucks, the diesel engines were

governed and had no tachs at all more often than not. As I recall 2400 was a max on

some of the earth moving scrapers (because road speed/momentum on rubber tired

vehicles can overrun governor speeds). I am sure no expert, but i would guess maybe

Kenworth or peterbilt over the road trucks no later than 1950 due to the stylized

SW scripting. How about marine?

Looking more closely at the tach it has a "telltale" red needle behind the main pointer. it has 63900 42 cast into the diecast base so it is possibly from a military or naval engine taking that the 42 refers to the year of manufacture. Against that the rim still has traces of nickel on it.