What model carb is this?

37PackardMan

My '29 Chevy has this non-standard carb on it. I would like to either get a kit to rebuild it, or find someone capable of rebuilding it.

Unfortunately it has NO identifying model numbers on it. the ONLY number on it is a Patent #1,536,043.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob

post-38845-143138111904_thumb.jpg

post-38845-143138111907_thumb.jpg

It might be a Wheeler Schebler carb from Indianapolis. The patent number on yours and mine are the same. If you look up the patent number that is the company that it is assigned to. Here is the link for the patent. http://www.freepatentsonline.com/1536043.pdf Looks like one that is similar to a Model A, except yours does not have the accelerator pump. Here is a pix of a carb that I am planning on selling that I got in a package deal that I cannot use.so05eb.jpg

104f40w.jpg

Edited by Larry Schramm
additional information (see edit history)

Guest Commodore

This link will give further infomation.

Re: Determing what type of Carburetor I have

Here are some magazines articles you can lookup.

Allstate: Model 2405

•"Restorer" magazine, Sep/Oct 1989, Page 32, "That funny, square-bowled, no name carburetor"

•"Restorer" magazine, Sep/Oct 1995, Page 12, "Model A Era Carburetors"

•"Restorer" magazine, Jan/Feb 1996, Page 10, "Zenith Replica Carburetors"

Thanks, Larry, but that carb would not work for me. THose bolt holes on your carb are in-line, but mine is 30degrees off center.

Bob

• 4 years later...
My '29 Chevy has this non-standard carb on it. I would like to either get a kit to rebuild it, or find someone capable of rebuilding it.

Unfortunately it has NO identifying model numbers on it. the ONLY number on it is a Patent #1,536,043.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob

I picked up this thread while searching for information on a carb I acquired.

It was on a 29 Dodge Bros sedan DA6 engine. It is the same as the one shown here. Could be possibly be a replacement and not an original carb for Dodge.

Anyone got any information?

Guest Commodore

If your carburetor has patent number of 1,536,043, it is carburetor built by Marvel-Schebler Division of Borg-Warner. It looks like it is a aftermarket carburetor. This carburetor is also known as a Johnson. MODEL A Fords were a major user of this series of carburetor as a Model JFA[. A rebuild kit for a Model JFA can be got from Renner's Corner as an Allstate 2405 Carburetor Rebuilt Kit. See link. Added Note your carburetor is probably not a Model JFA, but it is from the same family of carburetors so the Model JFA rebuilt kit might work.

http://www.rennerscorner.com/carburetor.html

Edited by Commodore (see edit history)