Cheap Wheels: The Last LeSabre Coupes

Centurion

During the much-maligned era of Roger Smith and GM's "cookie cutter" school of design, the folks at Flint's "Buick City" continued to build stellar automobiles.

You may be among those who doubt whether Buick produced any interesting automobiles after 1972. If so, you may freely bypass this topic. Please consider, though, that I once held such a view. What persuaded me to re-consider these Buicks of more recent vintage? That's easy -- the pleasure of ownership.

Certainly, some enthusiasts focus on the Riviera convertibles produced during the 1982 - 1985 era. Others regard the Grand Nationals and turbo Regals of the mid-1980's as the most significant performance cars of the decade. And it's easy to appreciate the attributes of Buick's two-seat Reattas of the 1988 - 1991 period.

For me, it's the LeSabres of the 1986 - 1991 era (and the closely-related Electra/Park Avenue models of the 1985 - 1990 period) that have captured my interest, and I'll be sharing the story as I have opportunity during the days ahead. Please continue to check back for additional photos and narrative.

I'll begin by introducing my cast of characters -- my newly-acquired 1990 LeSabre Limited coupe (Gunmetal Gray Metallic, 44,000-miles) and my long-time driver 1989 LeSabre Limited (Ruby Red Metallic, 208,000-miles). The '71 Centurion and '59 Electra share the garage behind them.

lesabresi.jpg

lesabresxvii.jpg

lesabresxvi.jpg

When this generation of front wheel drive LeSabres arrived in 1986, I recall some of Buick's advertising, touting that the 2-door model marked the return of the "great American coupe". The ads talked about the wonderful coupes of the past, and I remembered again the beautiful hardtop coupes of the 1960's, like the 1965 Buick Wildcat I learned to drive.

From a styling standpoint, I could only think about how this shrunken, squared off, compressed little car was in no way in the same league as a 1960's era LeSabre or Wildcat coupe. There was nothing voluptuous or captivating about the style, which seemed to find its inspiration in the little 1982 Chevy Cavalier rather than Buick's spectacular coupes of the past.

lesabresii.jpg

lesabresiii.jpg

With this second wave of downsizing of its standard car lines, GM was clearly responding to the late-1970's fuel price increases. Further anticipated price increases in the mid-1980's failed to happen, and many prospective buyers were turned off by the small size of GM's most expensive passenger cars.

The cars' smaller size and lighter weight makes them especially relevant today.

By most accounts, the LeSabre coupes of this era weigh in at about 3,300 to 3,400 lbs., making them significantly lighter than, for example, the new 2010 LaCrosse, which tips the scales at over 4,000 lbs.

lesabresviii.jpg

The early FWD Park Avenues and LeSabres were plagued by transaxle failures, but GM quickly straightened out the problems.

By 1988, the new 3800 V6 was an available engine option for the LeSabre, replacing the port fuel-injected 3.0 and 3.8-litre V6's. The 3800 became standard equipment for the 1989 through 1991 LeSabres of this body style.

Truly, it was the 3800 engine -- built at "Buick City" -- that "made" this car. Former "Road and Track" magazine executive editor Peter Egan marveled at the excellent mileage figures he achieved with his winter beater 1988 Buick Park Avenue. He contacted a number of automotive industry consultants to learn the reason for the Buick's phenomenal fuel economy, and the verdict was that the Buick 3800 V6 engine is one of the most efficient automobile engines ever built.

It is my oft-stated view that the Buick 3800 engine singlehandedly saved General Motors's mainstream passenger car business during the period of the late 1980's and the 1990's. At a time when GM invested heavily in trucks and SUV's to the neglect of its passenger car lineup, the cars powered by the 3800 engine were GM's shining lights in an automotive marketplace that refused to forgive GM for problem engines like the Olds diesels and Cadillac 4100's.

lesabresix.jpg

By 1989, GM had transformed the LeSabre into one of the industry's finest products. J.D. Powers ranked the LeSabre the highest quality car (initial quality) produced in the USA, second only to the Nissan Maxima among all cars sold here at the time. The Buick City plant received similar honors as the best quality plant in the industry.

Earlier this week, as I read industry consultant Peter DeLorenzo's rants regarding the state of the U.S. auto industry, the following statements stood out to me:

The plague of lowest common denominator everything. I’ve written about this since Day One of AE, and I’m still not seeing enough evidence to convince me that this kind of rampant serial mediocrity isn’t still flourishing in some corners of these car companies. What do I mean by it? Lowest common denominator thinking – the concept of good enough is “good enough” – is what drove Detroit in its darkest days and yielded 20 years (approximately the late 70s to the late 90s) of slipshod - or more accurately nonexistent – quality, ****-poor engineering decisions, and a total lack of focus, cohesiveness or philosophy of how it’s done.

In other words - and I’ll use GM as an example - there was no GM “way” of doing things. Yes, there were pockets of lucidity throughout the corporation, and some decent cars and trucks managed to escape the bowels of the company in spite of the pallor of mediocrity that cloaked the company in a dark evil shroud, but at the end of the day if good vehicles slipped out it was usually because of a small group of committed individuals working together who refused to settle for the bean counter-driven mediocrity that ran unchecked throughout the rest of the company.

I have no personal knowledge regarding the processes that shaped the LeSabres of this era, but it is easy for me to believe that the car benefited from exactly the sort of "small group of committed individuals working together" that DeLorenzo refers to.

And the excellence of the LeSabre paid off in terms of sales, setting the stage for LeSabre's career as the perennial best-seller among the large or standard size cars.

As successful as the LeSabre was, however, sales of two-door models dwindled, and the coupes represented a small fraction of total LeSabre sales during the years it was offered.

In truth, these cars were scarcely on the radar for me when they were new. Yes, I had attended the wonderful tour of the Buick City plant during the Buicktown Chapter's 1988 Homecoming national meet in Flint, so I had seen scores of these cars on the assembly line. I had been aware of the very low production LeSabre Grand National from 1986 and the special LeSabre T-Type variants, but my interests were firmly fixed on the earlier cars, and I largely ignored these LeSabres.

In August, 1988, a Ruby Red '89 LeSabre Limited coupe was shipped from Buick City for dealer inventory to my hometown in Oregon. The car was loaded with many options, including the automatic climate control and the split front seat with six-way power controls on both sides, including a power recliner for the passenger.

The '89 LeSabres sold in healthy numbers in my hometown, but this Ruby Red coupe simply gathered dust on the showroom floor. Why? Simply put, no one wanted a 2-door LeSabre.

My parents were continuing to enjoy the beautiful '77 Electra Limited Landau coupe they had purchased new for their retirement, and had no particular thought of buying another new Buick. Over time, though, the red coupe proved irresistable to my parents, who always preferred the 2-door models, even when all three of us children were still at home. In early August, 1989, my parents finally traded in the '77 for their new '89 LeSabre coupe -- a gift to themselves for their golden wedding anniversary.

lesabresvi.jpg

Hear Hear!!! Beautiful cars and a wonderful story. These late 80 early 90's coupes have always turned my head and I too have grown to appreciate them even more lately. Thanks for the great write up and sharing the photos. Some great angles that really show off the lines of these coupes. This would be a great Bugle story. Congrats Brian, they couldn't have gone to a better BuickMan.

(And I've been meaning to introduce my latest acquisition on here but how does one follow a story like this).

During the years that followed, my folks often visited my wife and me, using the '89 LeSabre for their thousand mile round trips.

Invariably, my parents were thrilled by the LeSabre's fuel economy, often averaging 32 - 34-mpg for the entire trip.

My mother was somewhat less enthusiastic about the extent of the road noise in comparison to the old body-on-frame '77 Electra, which always seemed vault-like. The '89's were built long before Buick's "Quiet Tuning", which is one reason why these LeSabres were significantly lighter than Buick's current offerings. They also lack airbags, navigation systems, etc.

Following my mother's death in 1998, my father passed the Buick along to my wife and me. The car had clocked a mere 60,000 miles, had always been garaged, and was like new in every respect.

We had a new GMC van on order for my wife and kids, so I pressed the LeSabre into daily service for the drive to-and-from the office. I was more than ready to retire the Honda Accord that my wife brought with her to our marriage.

My "new" car was already ten years old, and I grasped that it was completely "not cool". We lived in high-priced, suburban Bellevue, and I shared the roads on my daily commute with all my peers in their new Bimmers, Benzes, and Lexi. I figured that they held my whitewall tires, wire wheel covers, fake interior wood trim, cloth upholstery, and lavish brightwork in total contempt.

Ever the Buick fan, though, I held my head high and motored along. I reminded myself that the price was right! And here I am eleven years later, and I'm still motoring along in that same old LeSabre. There's not a day that goes along that I don't realize how comfortable it is, how nicely it rides, how trouble-free it's been, and how thrifty it is with the gasoline.

I've never waxed it once and it always sits outside. The "collector" Buicks get the cozy garage, and the old LeSabre gets the sun and the rain. Yet, as the photos show, she still cleans up rather nicely.

I passed the 93,000 mile mark before I gave in and replaced the original equipment tires. At 150,000 miles, I finally decided that replacing the original spark plugs might be a good idea. Yes, there's been a sensor or two along the way, and I had to replace the alternator last year. Beyond that, it's been "cheap wheels" all the way. I'm up to 208,000 miles and counting. I'd have no problem jumping in this car and driving it to Florida right now if I were required to do so.

You'll notice that I never claim that these are "collector" cars, although the T-Types have spurred some interest among collectors. And I like "Collectible Automobile" magazine's "Cheap Wheels" label for cars that are merely cheap, having little prospect of ever becoming anyone's dream machine decades from now.

How are these LeSabres "Cheap Wheels"?

1) Low initial cost twenty years after they were built (and they're sometimes free)

2) No need to maintain insurance coverage other than the liability and medical. There's little point to buying collision and comprehensive coverage for a car having so little market value.

3) Excellent reliability. With basic maintenance along the way, these cars are about as bullet proof as you can get.

4) Excellent fuel economy. I figure that I receive low 20's-mpg around town and in mixed driving, 30-mpg or better on the Interstate.

Since I'm tuned in to these cars, I now notice them -- everywhere. Despite living in an area dominated by the import brands, I still see some of the late-1980's era LeSabres and Electras on a daily basis. Within the last couple of years, I was surprised to stop at a traffic signal near my office, and find that two other LeSabres of similar vintage were stopped at the signal as well. A surprising number of these cars have mileage well in excess of 200,000 miles. Like me, their owners find no reason to spend the money for a newer driver.

Hear Hear!!! Beautiful cars and a wonderful story. These late 80 early 90's coupes have always turned my head and I too have grown to appreciate them even more lately. Thanks for the great write up and sharing the photos. Some great angles that really show off the lines of these coupes. This would be a great Bugle story. Congrats Brian, they couldn't have gone to a better BuickMan.

(And I've been meaning to introduce my latest acquisition on here but how does one follow a story like this).

MrEarl, thanks for posting, and part of my goal is to shame you into writing a story about your new acquisition!

I had taken no steps to look toward an eventual replacement for the Ruby Red LeSabre. In the back of my mind was the thought, though, that there would probably be an abundant supply of 3800-powered Buicks on the used market for many years to come. I figured that, when the time came, I could always find another older model Buick.

A local Buick friend surprised me recently with a craigslist ad for a '95 Buick Century -- 29,000-miles for $2,500. I passed, since the car lacked the 3800. But it prompted me to begin keeping my eyes open for a "deal".

When a 1990 LeSabre coupe turned up on craigslist, I knew that I had to check it out. The car was listed as a 44,000-mile example for $2,250, and my wife and I were immediately smitten. This Limited was even more heavily optioned than the red '89, boasting the full leather interior, leather-wrapped steering wheel, gauge package, touring suspension with the larger cast aluminum wheels, automatic load leveling, etc. The original owner had a beautiful custom, power moonroof installed by a reputable Seattle company.

lesabresiv.jpg

lesabresv.jpg

lesabresx.jpg

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)

Nice. Another consideration is that, with these cars around 20 years old, some of the local car clubs start allowing them. Up here, you can get vintage plates (although they are currently worthless) for cars that are at least 30 years old.

Great story.

Today I made note of a similar vintage Regal coupe with the 3800. Unfortunately, it had rust in the rear wheel wells. Thankfully, there wasn't a for sale sign to tempt me.

My father bought an 89 LeSabre sedan new in the same maroon color as your car. We drove to Florida twice in that car....I don't think he ever did anything major to it except put new tires on it. That was the last Buick he has owned :( ....but before that, our family was never without a Buick.

Guest Jstbcausd

Excellent story. I have always been smitten with the Electras of that era myself. Started with a gold '85 my dad found to replace my 84 wagon and then led to a brown '88 electra and then a grey '87 electra t-type. I remember always getting amazing mph figures out of those cars, even though I had to replace the engine in the '87 twice. Those 3800's were quite the engine, too bad GM lost sight of that. I wish I had some photos of those cars to share, but all I have are my memories of some great Buicks that helped solidify my love for the marquee.

I now own a '93 regal gran sport, 178,000 miles,17 years old and still running strong, it's needed some big time repairs this past year, but amazes me most of the things I have had to replace are all original parts, and people say GM didn't build anything of quality the last couple of decades. Just the other day I had a co-worker comment on how nice the car still looks, even though it does have some ugly rust on the driver's side rear wheel well, but it is always nice to get a compliment(even if it isn't a classic yet)

It's too bad that GM has never (hasn't yet), come out with another 2-door Buick, but here is hoping that the new LaCrosse leads to beter things for Buick(even though dad says a Buick without the oil filter sticking off the front of the engine(a 3.8) isn't a Buick, lol :)

Edited by Jstbcausd
my bad spelling (see edit history)

Brian,

You commented that when new these barely registered on your radar. For me, it was the opposite- I always lusted after a Lesabre T Type, but they held their value...until now.

I recently purchased an 88 T Type and located 2 more in 2 weeks. There is an 87 LeSabre Coupe just 3 houses down the street from me that I admired and thought how nice the owner keeps it. Then I noticed a big push in dent in the rear bumper two weeks ago, as if he was rear ended or just was using it to push something around.

I absolutely like these cars but prefer the gunmetal grey one with cast aluminum wheels. I never liked those wire wheel covers over an aluminum wheel.

Thank you, all for your comments. Jstbcausd, I hope you'll create a topic about your '93 Regal Gran Sport. I like those cars!

BJM, you are right regarding the wheel design. The wire wheel covers were, of course, very popular, but the wheel cover / whitewall combination really dates the car's appearance and makes it look like what it is -- an older model car.

lesabresxiii.jpg

The cast aluminum wheel design in much more contemporary in appearance, and was actually one of several unique wheel designs that Buick offered on LeSabres, Electras, and Rivieras during this time period. I believe that this style was unique to LeSabre, and, interestingly, was available in both 14-inch and 15-inch sizes. My car has the touring suspension, and the 15-inch wheels were part of the package.

lesabresxii.jpg

Although the two cars are essentially identical except for color, the wheel trim creates a very different look and character between the two cars.

Further differentiating the cars is the '89's wide Park-Avenue style bodyside bright molding, which was evidently standard equipment on 1989 model LeSabre Limiteds. Along with the wire wheels and whitewalls and gold pinstriping, it screams "older model" American-built car. The trim is more subdued on the Gunmetal Gray 1990 model, which has a somewhat more European flavor without the spoilers and black-out trim of the LeSabre T-Types. To me, the 1990 with these wheels exhibits the perfect look for these cars.

The '89 carries the standard instrument cluster with idiot lights.

lesabresxiv.jpg

Both cars have the Electronic Touch Climate Control, which has proven to be completely reliable and trouble-free in the '89. The '90 has the instrument gauge package and leather-wrapped wheel. My only concern is that the instruments are rather small, since they're confined to the same area as the standard instrument cluster. Unfortunately, I failed to straighten the steering wheel for the photo.

lesabresxv.jpg

Given the long-term reliability and excellent mechanicals of the high-mileage '89, I will be keeping the car rather than selling it. My 14-year old twin daughters will be driving in a couple of years, and this would probably be an excellent starter car for them.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the new '90 on my daily commute!

lesabresxi.jpg

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)

Guest Redwind89

Brian

Trust me those gauges are very easy to read on that cluster. It will just take some time getting use to them. if you want I can sell you one from a T-type with the red backing, so everything comes out red and not the crystal blue. ;) My old 89 Lesabre limited that was red on red like yours had the gauge cluster but not the touch control HAVC system :confused: I'm having my friends track down the only pictures that I know of, for that car.

I went to the local Pick a Part U Wrench It yard yesterday as sometimes this is fun to do. I noted at least 5 1987 to 1990 LeSabres, all four doors. There were 8 of the aluminum cast wheels there. I am wondering if these have any long term value, because they will be gone soon.

Also, a quick check of mileage was very interesting. All of these cars had mileage ranging from 175,000 to 225,000 miles. They served their owners well, returned good gas mileage for a full sized sedan.

I know for a FACT, being a Mazda Master technician, that the same period Mazdas would not have lasted as long without expensive maintenance that many owners failed to do. Ditto on Hondas, Toyotas, etc. In any respect, they did not last longer then these LeSabres.

The myth continues.

BJM, you are so right about the long-term reliability of these cars. I think my LeSabre's reliability has been a bit of a sore spot with an individual in my office who holds the all-too-familiar view that it can't be good if it's an American made car. With every day that my LeSabre wheels into the company parking lot, this person's Toyota-centric world view takes another blow.

Regarding the cast aluminum wheels, there are people who are offering refinished examples on Ebay. If you have a chance to snag some of these from the wrecking yard, they may be valuable cores for someone in the future.

Good Post and thanks for the interesting background.

While these cars will never become sought after for collectability, I agree they are in fact one of the best deals going for cheap, reliable, and comfortable transportation. Fortunately most do not realize this which keeps them inexpensive for others who do.

Any time someone I know is looking for a cheap car, I steer them towards these same models. It is very common to find low mileage garage kept examples that have been owned by an older person that took good care of it. The best part is even though they are cheap, you don't have to drive something that looks like it should be in the junkyard. Additionally, you don't have to carry full auto insurance coverage on them saving even more money vs buying something newer or more expensive.

Unfortunately the younger generation would rather spend $4-6k more for a car of equal condition and relibility only because they are afraid to be seen in a car that has a perceived grandpa status.

Jason, thank you for your reply. You are correct about the lack of interest in these cars, when, in fact, there are excellent quality examples available for less money than many high mileage, worn-out Toyotas, Hondas, Subarus, etc.

The 1990 LeSabre I recently purchased belonged to an older gentleman who seldom drove during recent years. When he discontinued driving altogether, he passed along the Buick to a long-time family friend, thinking the friend's daughter, who has just completed college on the East Coast, would appreciate the car. The daughter, in her mid-twenties, insisted that she wants a new BMW.

As my wife points out, she'll be saddled immediately with heavy car payments, and her loss is our gain. The Buick is perfect for us -- and, in yesterday's traffic, I caught a young guy in a very late model Mercedes coupe giving the old Buick a second look.

Guest Redwind89

Brian

That happen all the time with my car. ( Granted it's a T-type) but, one day my dad had to drive it, and he was getting looks left and right as he was driving by. He was pissed cause he never got second looks in his Riv. :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

Time for my long-term "Cheap Wheels" LeSabre coupes update.

Since picking up the '90 LeSabre coupe in August, 2009, I've added another 22,000 miles. This car is really nice.

It's easy to wonder if I look "dowdy" driving a 20-year old car, but, then, I remember all the great qualities of the old Buick.

Yesterday morning, I was headed to the Buick after a stop at the local pharmacy. A fellow pulls into the parking spot next to me, driving a late-model top-of-the-line Lexus LS 4??. Before I can climb in the Buick, he stops me in my tracks, asking what year the Buick is and everything about it. He eagerly checked out the beautiful red leather interior, exclaiming what a great-looking car it is. I didn't miss the opportunity to extol the virtues of the 3800 engine.

Meanwhile, my wife drives the red '89 LeSabre coupe every day, and it's passed the 215,000 mile mark. I've fitted a set of the beautiful cast aluminum wheels from an '89 Electra T-Type, and they look perfect. I'll try to shoot some photos when I have a chance.

The old Buicks continue to get us everywhere we want to go with reliability and comfort.

Guest Rob McDonald

BRIAN, you are an exceptionally good writer, which has made following your thread in support of these particular Cheap Wheels a real pleasure. Although GM's "full-size" front-drivers have never caught my attention, I do agree now that they are a nicely styled, economical option for those of us who habitually resist the lure of new car showrooms.

I have bought two new cars in my 40 years of holding a driver's license but it's been more than two decades since I last made that impulsive mistake. I much prefer vehicles with proven experience and prices to match.

There have been a couple of regrettable choices, including a '71 Hornet Sportabout (great styling, purchased in 1986) and a '76 Capri (European built with a startling orange interior, purchased in about 1990). Both were dreadful cars, which didn't improve any with age.

My favourite Winter Beater was a rusty '65 Coupe de Ville that I bought in 1994, shortly after our first son was born. As the child count grew to three, the cavernous back seat comfortably accommodated infant carriers, safety seats and boosters as required. It was a very sad morning in 2002 when, in a shower of red dust, the Caddy was clobbered by a brand new SUV, driven by an over-medicated old gentleman.

Its large, oil-stained place in my garage was taken by a one-owner '78 Cordoba. My fondness for the butter-soft, green metallic "Corinthian" leather seats could not overcome Chrysler's age-old tradition of being hard to start or this particular car's terrible icy road behaviour. Ironically, when it came time to let "Ricardo" go two winters later, the eager buyer had flown in from 300 miles even further north of my sub-Arctic hometown.

About this time, my wife and I agreed that we really only needed one daily-driver to supplement my summer toys. We limped her mint-condition, low-mileage, absolutely awful '94 Taurus wagon - purchased way too new in 1996 - to an auction house ($1400 and that was far too much). She gave me free rein to buy anything I liked, as long as it was somewhat practical.

Well, that's a task that a car guy can really sink his teeth into. Like Centurion before me, I'll tease you with a promise to tell you about that one, next time.

She gave me free rein to buy anything I liked, as long as it was somewhat practical.

After the local car club meeting this afternoon, for some reason, I started looking at used Buicks for sale...I think it may have been prompted by the '86 Century Gran Sport thread. Anyway, I came across an ad for a '97 LeSabre. It is part of an estate and they are only asking $1k. I'm tempted. Teresa is approaching her 15th birthday, so we'll have another driver around here before you know it and I wouldn't mind having something that is a bit easier and more economical to get around the city in. Of course, there were some others that lead Derek into temptation again too....

Good Luck Derek!

Luckily, my oldest is just over 14, which gives me about almost 2 full years before I have to have a beater ready for him, then another a year and a half later for my daughter.

they think they are getting the '65 Wildcat and '59 Invicta respectively, but those will only be for special occasions, not daily driving until they are old enough (and they pry them from my cold dead fingers!)

Hopefully, I can find them something classy, big and safe, but cheap too. I'll be on the lookout. I think a '97 Lesabre beats the pants off a '97 Cavalier or Taurus any day!

Guest Rob McDonald

ALL RIGHT, ALL RIGHT, enough pestering already. I'll tell you what it was that wifey let me buy. It's a 1995 BMW 525i Touring, which must mean "station wagon" in German. Via the internet, I went sniffing around a number of examples of this model, all within 500 miles of 90210 (that's the only California zip code that I know).

As I found each one that sounded promising, I asked the owner to take it to the nearest BMW dealer, for a Used Car Check. I would arrange to pay the dealer by VISA. For $120 or $140, I figured I could count on an honest opinion. A black with black leather beauty in Los Angeles almost got me but the price was just too high for a seven-year-old car, no matter how spotless. And black.

Two others were said to be "okay" but not worth flying 2000 miles for. I called about a Oxford Green car in Monterey but the dealer's service manager told me to avoid this one - highly detailed but woefully maintenance-deferred. An hour later, he called back and said that someone had come in to buy a new 5-series wagon and was looking to trade a very nice Kashmir Beige Metallic '95 job. It was really too old for their Certified Pre-Owned programme, so would I like them to give it the once-over?

Of course, the deal was done. The next weekend, I flew to San Jose to meet our new family car at the airport. The condition of the original paint and parchment bison leather interior was even nicer that I'd been led to believe. The tuna-can double sunroof was a delightful surprise.

Coming up to eight years later, we still love this car. When something does break, it's easy to fix and parts are a surprising bargain (new radiator, dealer price - $340). There's been a few trips to the body shop - I really shouldn't be backing up anymore - but the car still looks great.

Sorry there's no Buicks involved but I had to get it off my chest.

(The attached photo isn't actually my car but it's the right colour. Also, the dog is the same colours as my cat.)

post-59990-143138380806_thumb.jpg

Guest Double M

YAY! A Great Post that recognizes that there will be Classic Cars in our future that are not just the cars we call "Classic" or "Collectible" TODAY.... What a relief to see people discussing the possibility od such a concept. I own a 1990 Reatta and formerly owned a 1970 LeSabre Coupe, a 1969 Buick GS400 and a 64 Skylark. None of these were sought after or considered valuable when I had them, but now...:eek:

At any rate if people dont start cosidering "The New Classics" The Antique Auto Club will be obsolete in a short time.

Great thread - I actually have always loved the styling on the 2 door FWD Buicks and Oldsmobiles of this era.

As it happens, with a baby on the way I may soon be in the market for a cheap, nice driver to replace the car payment on my truck. Since I am now securely "rightside up" in the loan, I figure that selling my truck and finding a $2500 car can get me by until our baby is over a year old, when the daycare costs should drop quite a bit. Yeah, I'm putting almost all equity into the truck at this point, but I could use the extra monthly cash sooner rather than later.

Anyhow, what better excuse to buy another old Buick? I am considering one of these coupes of the 88-91 vintage or even a Reatta coupe (I once had a great black convertible as my daily driver and miss it dearly) although in the event that I have to take the baby somewhere while my wife is at work, I should probably stick to the car with a backseat...or should I? I mean, there isn't a passenger airbag to go off so wouldn't the baby be just as safe?

Double M - you make perfect sense. What if we went back to the 1920s and took a look at the Model T, especially in comparison to other, more expensive, more luxurious brands. Today, they are a mainstay of vintage automobile collecting and have a huge following.

We are seeing the remaining more affordable cars of the '50s, '60s, and '70s see more interest now because they are affordable, but also have the nostalgia around them.

Lance...I'd stick to the coupe over the Reatta, just in case you all 3 need to go somewhere together and the other car isn't available.

Keep in mind slightly increased maintenance costs with an older car than your new one. Since it's a truck you are trading for an older car, you're mileage may actually go up! GASP! :)

I'd like to trade my wife's Kia minivan in on a '95 Roadmaster myself. Better mileage, almost as much space (not as tall), and has a more "cool" look to it!

Looking for the right one without having to travel across the country to get it...

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate the great comments from all of you. Even though I made these last LeSabre coupes my "cheap wheels" choice, the more common LeSabre and Park Avenue sedans have all the same benefits of reliability, low price, fuel economy, etc.

If I were looking for another vehicle of this full-size, front-drive Buick generation, an Electra T-Type of 1988 - 1990 vintage and the low-volume, 1990-only Park Avenue Ultra would be on my radar alongside the LeSabre coupes.

It IS very nice to see a thread on these cars get so much positive response. I've owned my 88 Lesabre T-type coupe for precisely 1 year now, and would say that I've had 3 people comment on the car in that time. Its actually rather "invisible"in that sense. Not that I mind; its just an observation.

By the way, here's a hoot:

YouTube - 1986 oldsmobile delta 88 commercial

Sure, they were overselling it a bit in that commercial, but the 86-91 H-body coupes, esp. those with the sport suspension options offered by Buick and Olds, were good looking AND nice handling cars, and no slow pokes either.

Yes, that's the little Regal Sommerset I miss from that thread on the general forum. IT was a cool little car. great radio, super gas milage, factory 5 speed but a 2.5 4 cylinder. Still, with the stick shift it was a fun car. A pillar rot cost me a windshield and a warning that the new windshield would probably suffer the same fate caused me to let it go.

• 2 weeks later...

Brian, is that 1990 Park Avenue Ultra the ones with the reversed hinge hood?

I looked at one that looks in great condition a few years ago with a reverse hinge hood, but luckily it was raining the day we looked at it and the rear seat was soaked and stank like mildew!

If that's not it, does anyone know which Buicks had those hoods?