Hershey Lodge has some rooms...

Steve Moskowitz

Ive stayed there off and on for 35 years, really love the place, been in the same room the past 8 years. BUT, with the rate increase they hit us for this year, I have to question how spoiled am I and should I be looking for something more modest. You can't beat the convenience however, and with the RM Auction in the same building you see just about everyone you can imagine wondering around the hauls. Maybe when I retire in a couple years I'll start sleeping in my station wagon, that's what I did the first time I went in 1967,

Somehow 62 year old bones, joints and bladders seem to need a real bed and bathroom these days.

Real men, and women- sleep in their pick-ups, suv's, tents, and trailers. We don't need $270/night motel rooms with 4-night minimums. Heck, we don't even need 29-foot motor homes with generators spewing fumes all night. We get up early and get ready for the gates to open for the public. We don't contribute to the traffic mess 'cause we're already there. You'd be surprised to see how many members in their '70's and up do it every year. It's a direct connection to the first Hershey swap meet- and hopefully it will go on for as long as we have some form of fuel to burn. Good chance these are the same folks who restore their own antique cars and always have some grime under their fingernails-even if they work in a proper office on those days we can't be at a swap meet.

Somehow 62 year old bones, joints and bladders seem to need a real bed and bathroom these days.

Ditto for those of us in the 58 (me) to 65 (Bill) year-old ranges. Plus, I like a door I can lock. Our friend Rodger Woodrum stays with us in this and calls it "The Good Tent". He and his sons were involved in the Boy Scouts for many years but even he likes to be able to fall asleep to the TV on a timer. :D

post-36313-143138111155_thumb.jpg

Real men, and women- sleep in their pick-ups, suv's, tents, and trailers. We don't need $270/night motel rooms with 4-night minimums. Heck, we don't even need 29-foot motor homes with generators spewing fumes all night.

That's very true!!! My father and I did that for many years. Now as we've grown older we've gotten smart enough to realize that as army retirees that we can rent a room over at Fort Indiantown Gap for $8 a night. Sometimes we'll spoil ourselves and get a room with a refrigerator and a television for another $2 more a night. If I catch it at the right time, sometimes we'll rent a two bedroom house with maid service and a kitchen for $42 a night.

Are we weaker?? NO!!

We've just found a way to do things smarter as we've gotten older. In 2002 I lived in a tent for 8 months, and my days of sleeping in a tent are over. I'll take my indoor plumbing.