1936 Olds thermostat

Guest Staff

I am trying to locate a source for a 1936 Olds thermostat, any ideas??

Thermostats for my 1933 Plymouth are still available in the "bubble wrap" area of my local auto supply store. The trick is figuring out which one(s) will work. Even the odd bypass style thermostats used by mid-1930s through 1940s Chrysler products are still available.

Is the thermostat for a 1936 Olds radically different in design than current ones?

Do you have a GM part number for the original (or later GM replacement)? If so I've had good luck using the parts cross reference area of NAPA online to find the current NAPA numbers even though my car is not in their books.

According to my fast moving parts catalogue your stat is not much different than the one for my car. I simply removed the retainer, the bellows and the valve. The inside diameter of the original stat mounting ring is just slightly larger than the current GM stats. By a new one (I would recommend a 195 degree one) and install it in the housing so that the original mounting ring holds it in place. I have been doing this for 50 years now, 4 thermostats, I never wore one out just kept using hotter and hotter ones as the General decided the engines ran better hotter. I find the 195 works wonderful in my car.

first up is your olds a 6 or 8 they will be different, my suggestion is try the olds forum on this site , but just in case heres some sites you could try . being GM it should be easier to source than most other makes , apart from ford .wwww.Kanter.com , wwww.robertsmotorparts.com, wwwthen-now.com, www.AtlasObsolete.com .Buyers and Sellers of NOS & NORS auto parts . and if you know the parts # try PartsVoice.com

My parts book says 35-55 is the same. 160 degrees (Olds part 563219) Harrison # 3126289. 180 degrees (Olds part 563311) Harrison # 3126290. Parts book was printed in 1956.

Parts PRO SE on NAPAonline shows:

Detroit Diesel #563219 as THM 70

General Motors #3126289 as THM 70

Detroit Diesel #563311 as THM 170

General Motors #3126290 as THM 170

Since Detroit Diesel was created by GM I would not be surprised if its part numbers matched those of other early GM makes. And isn't Harrison a GM OEM brand (Not too clear on GM associated lore)?

Anyway, I'd take a close look at THM 70 and THM 170 thermostats at your local NAPA dealer and see if they look like they would work for you.

Thanks for your response. my engine is 8, L36, would there be a difference over the 6 cyl? Do you know of a source for a parts book reletive to this car? 5 passenger touring coupe.

• 3 years later...