Krieger Electric Car ... WOW !!!

This is a picture of a Krieger Electric Car taken in 1906 with then Senator George P Wetmore from Rhode Island ...

One of the most impressive electrics I've seen so far !!!

Unbelievable ... I want one ... but impossible ... if any actually remain ... but certainly not in this condition ...

Origional Victorian Elegance ...

Running a close 2nd ... would be the origional 1900 Porsche Electric ...

How times have changed ... :mad:

Please check the origional location for a very high quality picture !!!

(click for for full page / full screen picture)

http://www.theblogofrecord.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/senator-george-p-wetmore-rhode-island-in-a-krieger-electric-landaulet.jpg

post-48021-143138109017_thumb.jpg

post-48021-143138109022_thumb.jpg

Edited by DavidP
To add url for high quality picture (see edit history)

This is a picture of a Krieger Electric Car taken in 1906 with then Senator George P Wetmore from Rhode Island ...

One of the most impressive electrics I've seen so far !!!

Unbelievable ... I want one ... but impossible ... if any actually remain ... but certainly not in this condition ...

Origional Victorian Elegance ...

Running a close 2nd ... would be the origional 1900 Porsche Electric ...

How times have changed ... :mad:

You gotta love those "hub" caps on the car in the first photo.

I have updated the origional Krieger Electric picture by providing the url for looking at this directly now ... click picture on url once to see full size ...

Beautiful photography ... obviously professionally done ... well worth viewing in its origional format ...

This is actually a FWD car ... with large motors mounted behind the wheels / axels ...

Some of the Krieger Electrics, mainly the commercial trucks, had an additional electric motor to assist with steering ... PS ??

http://www.theblogofrecord.com/wp-co...-landaulet.jpg<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

• 3 weeks later...

DavidP, I do not know what area you are from but if you are near to or have reason to be going through Western Pa. I would be pleased to show you that 1904 Krieger-Brasier electric car. If the weather cooperates you might even get a short ride in it. Just around the farm though as it doesnt travel fast enough to put in traffic. There is a rumor that another such Krieger car exists in France. I have never been able to confirm it though.

WoW again ... :)

Actually ... not all that far ... I'm just north of Toronto ... I'll have to update my profile ...

That would be a great opportunity for anyone interested in antique electric cars!

Since these are so rare ... hopefully you'll be able to post a few pictures for everyone to admire your car ...

I've always wanted to find an electric vehicle to restore ... but the few that do come up are always so far away from what I could consider financially & geographically ... :mad:

Hope you'll share your good fortune with a few pics for everybody to see ...

• 1 month later...
Guest poonamt93

Really a very beautiful Photos.........

But The 1903 Krieger proves that there is nothing new under the sun. This car is a front wheel drive electric-gasoline hybrid car and has power steering. A gasoline engine supplements the battery pack. Between 1890 and 1910, there were many hybrid electric cars and four wheel drive electric cars. Electric cars were more expensive than gasoline cars and electrics were considered more reliable and safer.

3974387182_2c21febd03.jpg1903 Krieger

Edited by poonamt93 (see edit history)

• 9 months later...
Guest Casper Friedrich

If I remember correctly the Technical museum in Gothenburg in Sweden has got a similar Krieger electric. At least an example from 1904 was shown at an exhibition there in 1959. Licence number O-15, I think it was supposed to be the first taxi-cab in that city.

http://carlotta.gotlib.goteborg.se/pls/carlotta/VisaObjekt?pin_objMasidn=223175

Edited by Casper Friedrich
found new information (see edit history)

Guest Silverghost

A Phila. Real-Estate developer friend 25 years go called me to see an old townhouse that he was re-habbing. He told me that in it's small garage was a strnge frankenstein electrical contraption bolted to the back garage wall.

It turned-out to be an old Rauch & Lang electric carriage wallcharger .

It was still wired-up to the 110Volt Ac lines at this time.

I bought it~

It has been sitting in my garage in storage ever since.

I have had it posted in the AACA electric auto section here for a few years now .

From time to time on PBS they show early movies of New York City streets where you can see many electric autos running around the city streets in the day.

Electric autos were mostly used in the city areas~

Mostly driven by women !

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...