Anything new at Hershey this year

Ricko1937

Well, with one month to go you can't help but start to get excited that Hershey is coming up. I was wondering if there is any changes to the car coral, show field, or flea market areas. The Hershey web site still has 2008 field maps showing. Is everything the same as last year? Just wondering.

Always minor adjustments. Show is pretty much the same. No Kruse auction in the Giant Center but RM will be out on the pad with live feeds from their auction on Thursday and Friday. RM has a major memorabilia collection on sale Thursday..first time event. AACAS will have pedal cars at auction again on Friday. Hershey Region will have the Futurliner and Kissmobile at the Giant Center too.

AACA has a ton of new merchandise including a first ever Muscle Car T-shirt along with 75th anniversary items!

There is no change in the rules. They have been the same forever. The issue I believed being expressed is the enforcement of the rules listed in your vendor information which includes no street rods, hot rods, etc. I do not speak for the region but the rules are the same for all regions and chapters that have a flea market.

Gosh, I am almost afraid to reply to this. I am hopeful it does not start a round of conversation that is not based upon the reality of the situation but foolishly I am going to try and explain things. I think, our members, desire to know the issues.

First of all, how do you or I determine who does not need a cart? The federal disabilities act provides the guidelines of handicapped vehicles allowed at these events. There was a legal situation many years ago that prompted a settlement on how handicapped carts, scooters and other conveyances are approved. It is the law. Whether you like the law or not, it is what the region, national and HERCO must abide by.

Secondly, some people are handicapped but their handicap is not obvious to the naked eye. I had a father who lost a leg above the knee but refused to park in a handicapped space as others needed it worse he said. I made the mistake once of seeing what I thought was an obvious healthy person using a space until I found out that he had serious health issues and did in fact deserve the space. I made a fool of myself for chewing the person out. Little older and wiser now...a little.

Next you have the Hershey Region workers who have to be all over the 400 acres making sure our needs are handled. Our club photographer, and a few others have special assignments and need the cart to get around. Yes, I am graciously given a cart as well. I can tell you that most of the time it is parked for all to see but when I am called to another field it allows me to handle situations efficiently.

As a safety issue everyone would like to see less carts. It is what it is though and unlike a few other venues that actually PUSH the rental of carts, this is not done at AACA events. It is tricky but careful thought is given to the rules and the region tries to stop abuse when they see it and can be assured they are not breaking any laws.

Hope this helps at least an understanding...it does not solve anything but at least you have a bit more info. Carts or not, the Region puts on the best old car event in the world!

My two cents worth regarding the carts and scooters. In years past the authorization sticker/tag was easy to see and read that it was the current year had been approved to be on the field. No one has a issue with that.

But last year it was a small tan tag that tied on with a string and people put them wherever, many where they were hard to see. Many had no tag at all.

The Hershey Region needs to go back to putting easy to see current year authorization tags on carts and scooters. That way the folks that want to cheat will get caught.

We have seen guys, yes just guys, doing some pretty wild stuff zipping around on carts and scooters. Behavior like that does not speak well for them actually needing help with getting around.

Tim, EVERYONE agrees with your statement (well maybe not the part about me doing a good job!)

I agree with Tim about you doing a good job. Make that a great job. :)

Susan, the region does not handle this. It is all handled by ScooterBug. I will try and forward your comments to the region to give to Scooterbug.

Thank you for the information. Probably most people don't know, as I didn't, that another group handles the authorization of scooters and carts rather than the Hershey Region. Hopefully they will go back to making it easy to tell which carts and scooters are authorized to be on the field.

As a Life Member of the Telcom/Telephone Pioneers we serve children and adults with mobility and other special needs. I guess that is one reason I get upset with people that are not dealing with those challenges, but try to take advantage of systems in place to help those that are challenged to have an equal opportunity to enjoy something like the event at Hershey.

Edited by Shop Rat (see edit history)

Susan, the region does not handle this. It is all handled by ScooterBug. I will try and forward your comments to the region to give to Scooterbug.

Steve, while you are at it maybe you can pass along the following as well.

The ScooterBug people might SERIOUSLY CONSIDER some sort of modification to their carts so that they make some sort of noise/sound when they are moving. I have pretty good hearing yet have been nearly run down by carts almost EVERY YEAR in the flea market at Fall Hershey. A few people that use carts attach a soda can or two to the cart just so that when the cart is moving it makes some noise.

Just a suggestion from some who has nearly ended up as a hood ornament on these carts. :D

Charlie, thre picture of you as a hood ornament warms my heart!:D Just kidding! I know the carts are normally meant for rental to handicapped people and not for flea markets or such but your idea would certainly come in handy. I wish the golf cart I used had a horn as well! In fact, maybe I will use my new horn for my Olds! Harpo Steve!

I will send this idea long....

post-30866-143138109168_thumb.jpg

Charlie, thre picture of you as a hood ornament warms my heart!:D Just kidding! I know the carts are normally meant for rental to handicapped people and not for flea markets or such but your idea would certainly come in handy. I wish the golf cart I used had a horn as well! In fact, maybe I will use my new horn for my Olds! Harpo Steve!

I will send this idea long....

Anything to bring a smile to your face Steve. :D

I misunderstood your post. I thought the company you mentioned rents both the Golf carts and the Personal Mobility Carts (for physically challenged people).

To clarify my hood ornament statment, that only involves the Golf Carts at Fall Hershey. They are large enough for a hood ornament. The personal mobility carts that people use are not big enough for hood ornaments. In those cases, I would be riding the handle bars if I were hit by one of those. :D

BTW, I like the horn in the photo. Did they come on the Golf carts from the factory? :D

Looking forward to Fall Hershey as always.

Edited by charlier (see edit history)

Guest kingsting

I liked the soda can idea on the nearly silent electric carts and scooters. Just about everybody using one had some form of this concept in use last year. Some were quite creative too...:cool:

I had a father who lost a leg above the knee but refused to park in a handicapped space as others needed it worse he said. I made the mistake once of seeing what I thought was an obvious healthy person using a space until I found out that he had serious health issues and did in fact deserve the space. I made a fool of myself for chewing the person out. Little older and wiser now...a little.

.....and a little greyer and as in the case of last year, more hair:D:D:D:D:D:D