Steam truck in Wisconsin

Brad in Wisconsin

Hi fellas, Your looking at a truck that doesn't exist or so it seems. It is a Empire or Cruban, with a 3 cylinder engine direct connected to the rear axle. The truck isn't something someone put together as it has numerous castings that surely wouldn't be make for a one off. Before you go off, look at my pictures real close off the truck body. There is a faint emblem on one side and the back of the cab has what I see a Stea Co I'm thinking Empire Steam Car Co. here is a link to the site look for Cruban chassis. Steam Gazette Discussion Forum - Steam Cars :: 1 Steam Cars :: Cruban Steam Chassis Help me keep Mike interested in his truck!

I am having a hard time visualizing the economics of using a steam truck for commercial purposes. Does anybody else out there have any info on any other steam trucks? Any pictures of any in use? Is there any clue as to what this one may have been used for? Did hey ever actually sell any Doble truck? I guess it would be just the ticket if you were looking for really fast delivery.

Nickelroadster, I felt the same way until a few years ago I picked up an odd British magazine about the steam hobby over there and was amazed at the number of surviving trucks. Apparently they were successful, at least over there.

This link should wet your appetite to find out more: Dark Roasted Blend: Steam Buses & Trucks

Howard Dennis

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)

Guest DeSoto Frank

Fascinating photos at the Steam Gazette link...

The rear-view of the survivor chassis are interesting - the cab looks very wide for a traditional cab & chassis - the cab usually doesn't extend that far beyond the frame rails... I'm wondering if this vehicle was converted into a Cab & Chassis from a bus body ( "parlor car")...

Fascinating find - keep us posted !

De Soto Frank

• 2 years later...

Fellas, would like this string to remain on subject or am I missing something here...... is this the only "existing" AMERICAN made steam truck/bus in the world !!!! I know of the existing Stanley mountain wagons but these are slightly altered automobile chassis' and this was an attempt to manufacture a a medium to a heavy truck chassis running on steam....