Buick 1933 cabriolet

Guest André

Dear People, I have a 1933 Buick unique in Europe, A cabrio. The hood, exhaust and other issues have yet to be restored, but the car drives. I'm looking for a person who wants to take care and buy. I think this is the only pre-war car of its kind in Europe. I have saved him 24 years to restore, but I must conclude that the time is missing at this moment, and in the near future also. Too long, The car has been in a damp area. Because I want to do something with the car, I search people for contact, or to buy the car or to renovate the buick, or sell to an enthusiast. Bring on the comments. If there are too many, it will take a while before I 'll answer, I also have various accessories like the original luggage trunk for the luggage rack; see the pictures. Inside the trunk are two suitcases, one for you and one for your companion.

The carroserie was made in Belgium by Alexis Kellner corresponding the identifying mark. (see picture) no 67, and the other mark 10461/19

It have a original linnen Dutch registration certificate, kenteken VD-15-64chassis nr 2631311, motornr 2833939, weight 1871 kg. 83 PK.

I have also more pictures. André

post-63655-143138108108_thumb.jpg

post-63655-143138108111_thumb.jpg

post-63655-143138122176_thumb.jpg

post-63655-14313812218_thumb.jpg

post-63655-143138122184_thumb.jpg

post-63655-143138122187_thumb.jpg

post-63655-143138122192_thumb.jpg

post-63655-143138122196_thumb.jpg

post-63655-143138122199_thumb.jpg

Edited by André
additional information (see edit history)

Very nice car.

Does it have a data plate on the firewall ?

What is the engine number & frame / chassis number ?

Suggest you also post on Buick - Buy/Sell - AACA Forums

Edited by 1939_buick
spelling (see edit history)

This Eu web site (run from the Netherlands) often for interesting cars for sale

Buick for sale - Antique / Vintage / Pre-war Buick car for sale - Place a first FREE ad

Pre War Car: All about Antique, Vintage, Prewar Cars

A car by Gebrüder Tüscher

http://www.coachbuild.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=29798

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Andre:

Under very high magnification, the frame number seems to be 2,681,511, not 2,631,311. If it is 2,681,511, the frame number and the engine number match to a car built late in March 1933. Could you post the wheelbase so I can determine the series of Buick this car is? I have the production records for March 1933, but Buick built several different series of cars that are possibilities.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Dear Andre:

Under very high magnification, the frame number seems to be 2,681,511, not 2,631,311. If it is 2,681,511, the frame number and the engine number match to a car built late in March 1933. Could you post the wheelbase so I can determine the series of Buick this car is? I have the production records for March 1933, but Buick built several different series of cars that are possibilities.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Dear Dave, Its amazing, but you are almost right. the frame number is 2,681,311. I was mistaken by the first 3. Itis an 8 and the second 3 seems a 5, but I am quite sure its a 3. Can it be possible. I hope it will not be less interesting. I have measured the wheelbase it is 303 or 302 cm, according the papers it should be 304 cm. Perhaps I measured it wrong.

I am curious for the results you will found

Best regards André La Fontaine

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Andre:

I calculate that the 119 inch wheelbase of a 1933 Series 50 Buick would be about 303 CM, so I am sure that is what it is.

Buick built cars for people like Kellner to use for their customers by supplying what Buick called a "Cowl Job" which is a normal car back to the instrument panel and the windshield. Buick would also supply a rear bumper and the rear fenders. The Bodybuilder (Kellner) builds and mounts the body that the end customer has ordered.

Buick's practice would be to start from a model 57 four door basic design, but only supply the items I described previously. Buick would name a cowl job based on a model 57 as a model 570 or a model 571, depending on exactly what was supplied on the rear bumper and fenders. In addition, Buick would note a car for export with an "X", so that the car that comes to Kellner is either a 570X or a 571X. These cars were nearly always built in groups of 6 and went into the assembly plant at Amsterdam as boxed parts, with Amsterdam doing final assembly up to the "Cowl Job" level.

The serial number of 2,681,311 is also a mid to late March 1933 car. In spite of the fact that this is the smallest Buick, it would be a very large car by European standards.

Now the real interesting news: Total 1933 production of model 570X was 1 car !! Total 1933 production of model 571X was 108 !! Your car, if I apply the usual 1% to 2% survival rates seen here in the USA, is quite likely an "ONLY" surviving car. I am aware that 5 cars were built in 1933 on the huge series 90 chassis that were bodied by a body builder named "Bronkhorst" in the Netherlands, but this is the first Kellner-bodied car that I've become aware of.

I hope this helps and answers some of your questions.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Great Buick with a storied past, no doubt. It would be most intriguing to discover for whom it was originally built. I was at the Veterama Show in Mannheim, Germany (same time as Hershey), and picked up a German old car mag with an ad for this car.

There is a price, at least in Europe...

Buick cabrio 4 sit alexis kellner 67 1933  for sale - PreWarCar.Com

25,000 Euros, obo is $37,134.01 at today's exchange rate. Given that even as a lesser Buick Series 50, it would likely be accepted as a CCCA True Classic (upon application and approval), it would be one heckuva car to own.

Here's a link to Coachbuild.com, on Carrosserie Kellner, of Paris. (Remember that they did one of the Bugatti Royales).

http://www.coachbuild.com/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=50&g2_itemId=10157

Particularly elegant is the '34 R-R Phantom II shown at the site.

TG

Guest Michiel Mobiel
Here's a link to Coachbuild.com, on Carrosserie Kellner, of Paris. (Remember that they did one of the Bugatti Royales).

http://www.coachbuild.com/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=50&g2_itemId=10157

TG

Alexis Kellner is not to be confused with the Paris based Georges Kellner. Alexis was located in Berlin and was not related to the Kellner company from France.

See the Alexis Kellner section at the Coachbuild.com Forum: COACHBUILD.com • View forum - Kellner

Dear Andre:

I calculate that the 119 inch wheelbase of a 1933 Series 50 Buick would be about 303 CM, so I am sure that is what it is.

Buick built cars for people like Kellner to use for their customers by supplying what Buick called a "Cowl Job" which is a normal car back to the instrument panel and the windshield. Buick would also supply a rear bumper and the rear fenders. The Bodybuilder (Kellner) builds and mounts the body that the end customer has ordered.

Buick's practice would be to start from a model 57 four door basic design, but only supply the items I described previously. Buick would name a cowl job based on a model 57 as a model 570 or a model 571, depending on exactly what was supplied on the rear bumper and fenders. In addition, Buick would note a car for export with an "X", so that the car that comes to Kellner is either a 570X or a 571X. These cars were nearly always built in groups of 6 and went into the assembly plant at Amsterdam as boxed parts, with Amsterdam doing final assembly up to the "Cowl Job" level.

The serial number of 2,681,311 is also a mid to late March 1933 car. In spite of the fact that this is the smallest Buick, it would be a very large car by European standards.

Now the real interesting news: Total 1933 production of model 570X was 1 car !! Total 1933 production of model 571X was 108 !! Your car, if I apply the usual 1% to 2% survival rates seen here in the USA, is quite likely an "ONLY" surviving car. I am aware that 5 cars were built in 1933 on the huge series 90 chassis that were bodied by a body builder named "Bronkhorst" in the Netherlands, but this is the first Kellner-bodied car that I've become aware of.

I hope this helps and answers some of your questions.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Dear Dave,

I'm really surprised about all the interesting information you have about the Buick. fantastic. you give me access to the way how things went. My thanks and it certainly helps to answer many questions. Because most likely the only remaining Buick of its kind, it is worth it to restore. The next question is how and at what price. I can do many things themselves. He is still in its original state and needs a lot of attention. Thanks for any further information. The car get a new life!

best regards André La Fontaine

Great Buick with a storied past, no doubt. It would be most intriguing to discover for whom it was originally built. I was at the Veterama Show in Mannheim, Germany (same time as Hershey), and picked up a German old car mag with an ad for this car.

There is a price, at least in Europe...

Buick cabrio 4 sit alexis kellner 67 1933 *for sale - PreWarCar.Com

25,000 Euros, obo is $37,134.01 at today's exchange rate. Given that even as a lesser Buick Series 50, it would likely be accepted as a CCCA True Classic (upon application and approval), it would be one heckuva car to own.

TG

Dear TG,

I've placed the ad. is the same car. The world is not so big anymore. I wanted to see what the responses would be. I love the car and feels like previleged. For the car I prefer restoration. That costs time and money. Although I could guess, I still question: what means: "one heckuva car to own".

with regards André La Fontaine

André, do you have a picture of the Alexis Kellner emblem on your car?

Yes Michiel, One of the pictures in the beginning (The first) in this forums show the emblem.

I don't know if it works, but I try to attach the picture again.

with regards André

post-63655-143138124841_thumb.jpg

Guest Michiel Mobiel

Thank you André.

It shows "Licenz Alexis Kellner". This could mean the body was built elsewhere in license of Alexis Kellner. I know this has been done frequently, like with some Praga cars, for instance.

See below another A. Kellner emblem.

post-64530-143138124845_thumb.jpg

Although I could guess, I still question: what means: "one heckuva car to own".

Sorry Andre,

It is U.S. slang for, "one heck of a car to own," meaning that it would be a privilege to own a car as fine as your Buick.

As mentioned above, since the car was built under "License (by) Kellner," do you have the name of the Belgian carrosserie that actually did the work?

We are all very curious to know about the coachbuilder.

Regards,

TG

Sorry Andre,

It is U.S. slang for, "one heck of a car to own," meaning that it would be a privilege to own a car as fine as your Buick.

As mentioned above, since the car was built under "License (by) Kellner," do you have the name of the Belgian carrosserie that actually did the work?

We are all very curious to know about the coachbuilder.

Regards,

TG

hi TG,

Thanks for the reply. I am also curious who coachbuilder is. Once my aunt told me that this car is a special showroomcar with his luggage-suitcase-set. I hope I can gathering more information.

with regards

André

Guest Michiel Mobiel

It just occured to me that there is also the possibility that only the roof system was of Alexis Kellner license... Maybe you should also post your car in my coachbuilders forum. I'm sure there is one person who can tell us more.

Like I said before. What a great car. Andre, perhaps you could give us some of the history? Has it been in your family a long time?

<TABLE id=texttable><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=almost_half_cell>Dear Alsancle

The car is before the war 1940-1945 in the family. My uncle Sam was a trader in cattle. He drove to Groningen in the Netherlands and other ‘city’s’ Den Haag. He was buying and selling animals who came later by truck. With the Buick he drove over 350 km round trip each time. They were travelling on bad roads.

The story they've told me, was that they have bought the car as showroom model. They were not the first owner. That might be a distillatory and a wine merchant in Vlaardingen / Rotterdam. But maybe the car has been ordered by another. I do not know. Perhaps some files can tell me more. But there too many archive and too little time. In the beginning of the war they were still riding in the car. On one of those rides they were followed by an aircraft on a country road with trees. The plane circled above the car and made a nose dive towards the car. After the second time my aunt and uncle stopped the car went under the car to protect from a possible attack. I think it is a bizarre story, one bomb and they were gone. During the war the car was hiding in a barn. They had all (6, including 2 reserves) wheels taken off and brought them to a different address in case the Germans would find the car. The car seems to be found, but because a sign on it with a text (reserviert für obersturmführer ....) The Buick was not take away

(no wheels???) Fortunately, the car stay in possession of the family after the war. It seems quite a problem to get the wheels back. I have read a part of those files. After the war the car was used for small rides. When I met my aunt in 1976, she still drove the car weekly.

She told me that previously people fixed a leak in the cooling system with a horse fig. In the winter the bonnet was covered with a blanket. You can not imagine ....... Another funny story is that they always drove the same route from home to the city of Den Haag. She said the road was narrowed in the 40 years that she drove. This was because the trees were becoming thicker along the road were they planted. Another story is that she was going shopping at seven a.m. , "because it was nice and quiet on the road." my aunt took one of these days after she had embarked on another path, that the road had become very narrow. At one point another car drove alongside her, parallel on her road. there was a sidewalk in between. The man in the car exhorted her to stop. "Who wants me to speak at 7:00 a.m. she thought, definitely ask for a direction." She stopped. To her surprise, a policeman came out of the car who was putting on his cap. The policeman went to her car and asked her registration certificate. Luky she had the certificate. "Very well" he said and continued, "but why drive on the bike path? (In the Netherlands you have separate cycle tracks alongside the road)" oooo ", said my aunt of 72, I thought, why is this way now so narrow ...." The policeman laughed and asked her to continue the ordinary roadway.

Everyone gave her priority at crossroads, because they liked the car so, but actually she was a danger on the road. Then later I had a "normal" car for my aunt and we took in the morning at 07.00 a.m. a test ride. I told her, "let's make an emergency stop before that crossroad. She had to get used to the new car. The result was that we centred on the crossroad to a standstill. I said if there was other traffic on the road perhaps a collision would have been. Ooooo "she said innocently." I always brake gently with the Buick. The others auto’s stop ..... A miracle that never happened a accident. I explained her that she really had to brake in time with the new car . We have long practiced. She passes away in 1986. I inherited the car who has’t driven for a long time. There was nothing done with the car and the car needed to restored. Later, in 1988 I have made a wonderful trip in Amsterdam on Queens day. With my own queen. An elderly lady, who spontaneously went in the Buick. With the roof open. She was sitting on the back seat and waved to the audience as the queen. I rode as a driver through Amsterdam. At Queens day there is a very big party in Amsterdam and it was a beautiful day. In a rest-break we got a lot of admiration from the crowds and offer us all sorts of snacks and drinks for a little ride. The engine began to stagnate because the petrol pipe was partially clogged because we did not use the car so much. The engine stopped, and we were all caught between the crowd. After I manage to pumping some benzene again, I got the engine running again. The whole audience was cheering. Now, we must go home I said. How the hell I came away among all those hundreds of people who had gathered around the car, something fantastic happened. I honked with the old horn "huhgehuhge" and there was an aisle of a 200 meter of people who granted me passage. If we were a gladiator or a famous person. My Queen waved to the enthusiastic audience . As a miracle we came home unscathed.

I (and before that my aunt and participated in many parades) I have driven a few weddings. Than, by circumstances, the car moved from one shed to another. There was no time to renovate. Now is the time to do something with the Buick again.

This is a part of the stories

I've tried to write a part

best regards André

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=submitcell><SELECT id=old_sl tabIndex=0 name=sl><OPTION selected value=nl>Nederlands</OPTION><OPTION value=en>Engels</OPTION><OPTION disabled value=separator>—</OPTION><OPTION value=auto>Taal herkennen</OPTION><OPTION disabled value=separator>—</OPTION><OPTION value=af>Afrikaans</OPTION><OPTION value=sq>Albanees</OPTION><OPTION value=ar>Arabisch</OPTION><OPTION value=bg>Bulgaars</OPTION><OPTION value=ca>Catalaans</OPTION><OPTION value=zh-CN>Chinees</OPTION><OPTION value=da>Deens</OPTION><OPTION value=de>Duits</OPTION><OPTION value=en>Engels</OPTION><OPTION value=et>Ests</OPTION><OPTION value=fi>Fins</OPTION><OPTION value=fr>Frans</OPTION><OPTION value=gl>Gallicisch</OPTION><OPTION value=el>Grieks</OPTION><OPTION value=iw>Hebreeuws</OPTION><OPTION value=hi>Hindoestaans</OPTION><OPTION value=hu>Hongaars</OPTION><OPTION value=ga>Iers</OPTION><OPTION value=is>IJslands</OPTION><OPTION value=id>Indonesisch</OPTION><OPTION value=it>Italiaans</OPTION><OPTION value=ja>Japans</OPTION><OPTION value=yi>Jiddisch</OPTION><OPTION value=ko>Koreaans</OPTION><OPTION value=hr>Kroatisch</OPTION><OPTION value=lv>Lets</OPTION><OPTION value=lt>Litouws</OPTION><OPTION value=mk>Macedonisch</OPTION><OPTION value=ms>Maleis</OPTION><OPTION value=mt>Maltees</OPTION><OPTION value=nl>Nederlands</OPTION><OPTION value=no>Noors</OPTION><OPTION value=uk>Oekraïens</OPTION><OPTION value=fa>Perzisch</OPTION><OPTION value=pl>Pools</OPTION><OPTION value=pt>Portugees</OPTION><OPTION value=ro>Roemeens</OPTION><OPTION value=ru>Russisch</OPTION><OPTION value=sr>Servisch</OPTION><OPTION value=sk>Slovaaks</OPTION><OPTION value=sl>Sloveens</OPTION><OPTION value=es>Spaans</OPTION><OPTION value=sw>Swahili</OPTION><OPTION value=tl>Tagalog</OPTION><OPTION value=th>Thai</OPTION><OPTION value=cs>Tsjechisch</OPTION><OPTION value=tr>Turks</OPTION><OPTION value=vi>Vietnamees</OPTION><OPTION value=cy>Wels</OPTION><OPTION value=be>Wit-Russisch</OPTION><OPTION value=sv>Zweeds</OPTION></SELECT> > <SELECT id=old_tl tabIndex=0 name=tl><OPTION selected value=en>Engels</OPTION><OPTION value=nl>Nederlands</OPTION><OPTION disabled value=separator>—</OPTION><OPTION value=af>Afrikaans</OPTION><OPTION value=sq>Albanees</OPTION><OPTION value=ar>Arabisch</OPTION><OPTION value=bg>Bulgaars</OPTION><OPTION value=ca>Catalaans</OPTION><OPTION value=zh-TW>Chinees (traditioneel)</OPTION><OPTION value=zh-CN>Chinees (vereenvoudigd)</OPTION><OPTION value=da>Deens</OPTION><OPTION value=de>Duits</OPTION><OPTION value=en>Engels</OPTION><OPTION value=et>Ests</OPTION><OPTION value=fi>Fins</OPTION><OPTION value=fr>Frans</OPTION><OPTION value=gl>Gallicisch</OPTION><OPTION value=el>Grieks</OPTION><OPTION value=iw>Hebreeuws</OPTION><OPTION value=hi>Hindoestaans</OPTION><OPTION value=hu>Hongaars</OPTION><OPTION value=ga>Iers</OPTION><OPTION value=is>IJslands</OPTION><OPTION value=id>Indonesisch</OPTION><OPTION value=it>Italiaans</OPTION><OPTION value=ja>Japans</OPTION><OPTION value=yi>Jiddisch</OPTION><OPTION value=ko>Koreaans</OPTION><OPTION value=hr>Kroatisch</OPTION><OPTION value=lv>Lets</OPTION><OPTION value=lt>Litouws</OPTION><OPTION value=mk>Macedonisch</OPTION><OPTION value=ms>Maleis</OPTION><OPTION value=mt>Maltees</OPTION><OPTION value=nl>Nederlands</OPTION><OPTION value=no>Noors</OPTION><OPTION value=uk>Oekraïens</OPTION><OPTION value=fa>Perzisch</OPTION><OPTION value=pl>Pools</OPTION><OPTION value=pt>Portugees</OPTION><OPTION value=ro>Roemeens</OPTION><OPTION value=ru>Russisch</OPTION><OPTION value=sr>Servisch</OPTION><OPTION value=sk>Slovaaks</OPTION><OPTION value=sl>Sloveens</OPTION><OPTION value=es>Spaans</OPTION><OPTION value=sw>Swahili</OPTION><OPTION value=tl>Tagalog</OPTION><OPTION value=th>Thai</OPTION><OPTION value=cs>Tsjechisch</OPTION><OPTION value=tr>Turks</OPTION><OPTION value=vi>Vietnamees</OPTION><OPTION value=cy>Wels</OPTION><OPTION value=be>Wit-Russisch</OPTION><OPTION value=sv>Zweeds</OPTION></SELECT> omwisselen

<INPUT id=old_submit tabIndex=0 value=Vertaal type=submit closure_hashCode_hpq9uj="9">

</TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Edited by André
to fast written and post it without eximination (see edit history)

Andre,

Thanks for the stories, and likely the ones you heard about its early life seem to track many others about pre-war cars in Europe.

I also note you are at the typin very late, actually early AM in Europe. I am going to make sure an associate of mine in The Netherlads, makes contact with you. He has a1931 Buick with Mayfair body.

John

Andre,

Thanks for the stories, and likely the ones you heard about its early life seem to track many others about pre-war cars in Europe.

I also note you are at the typin very late, actually early AM in Europe. I am going to make sure an associate of mine in The Netherlads, makes contact with you. He has a1931 Buick with Mayfair body.

John

Dear John,

thanks for the anser and remark. I have the "linguistic" text improved a little.

Your welcome.

best regards André

• 2 years later...
This extremely cool car is back on the market with some different photos.

Buick 570 X Convertible by Alexis Kellner 1933 for sale - PreWarCar

Web site says

1933 Buick 570 X Alexis Kellner for sale TOO LATE

This car has been sold or is no longer on the market

Was posted on All about Antique, Vintage and Pre-War Cars - PreWarCar at about the same time as his post here.

Would be interesting to find our what has happened ti the car now

Edited by 1939_buick
spelling (see edit history)

Guest ChrisSummers

The body looks like a Glaser (of Dresden) to me but I'm not an expert on European coachwork. Glaser's archives were destroyed in the firebombing during WWII.