1950 plymouth car radio

Guest bloodyvapor

Guest bloodyvapor

I have a 1950 plymouth car radio (mopar 807) that was my grandfathers who just died. All his stuff was put in my basement, i just came across it in a box labeled that. It is pretty spotless for a 1950. He was very meticulous with all his stuff! Would anyone know that value of this because im sure someone could use it and im sure they are not easy to come by these days in this condition. Plus, what am i gonna do with it? Can you help? Also, if someone would like to buy it, let me know. dave

post-63654-143138108105_thumb.jpg

Guest Paterson Chris

A better place to go to find the value of this would be to Google "Antique Radio Forums", sign up like you do here, then post your inquiry under the general forum; "Antique Radio Discussions". If you post it for sale on a site like Ebay, make sure to protect yourself by stating that you have no idea of the electrical condition of the internals and to bid accordingly. The fact is, certain parts degrade internally from disuse over time. Most laymen immediately think the tubes. Not so. Tubes are almost always still good though some may test weak. It's the vibrator, capacitors, and sometimes a few resistors. Vibrators will have points that stick and may be pitted (drop-in solid state replacements are available). Capacitors (still called condensers back then) are usually leaky or shorted and resistor values may have crept up from their original specs over the years. The parts to replace the originals are actually pretty cheap and will outlast the originals. Where things get expensive is if you hook up a battery and turn the thing on after all these years without checking any of the above -- causing an expensive domino effect of failure of the good parts left because of the others that are shorted/ open/ leaky/ different values. Radio Daze and Antique Electronic Supply are two good sources for parts and the guys at the above mentioned forum are experts at walking you through the repairs should you decide to do it yourself. Good luck.

Chris

Guest bloodyvapor
A better place to go to find the value of this would be to Google "Antique Radio Forums", sign up like you do here, then post your inquiry under the general forum; "Antique Radio Discussions". If you post it for sale on a site like Ebay, make sure to protect yourself by stating that you have no idea of the electrical condition of the internals and to bid accordingly. The fact is, certain parts degrade internally from disuse over time. Most laymen immediately think the tubes. Not so. Tubes are almost always still good though some may test weak. It's the vibrator, capacitors, and sometimes a few resistors. Vibrators will have points that stick and may be pitted (drop-in solid state replacements are available). Capacitors (still called condensers back then) are usually leaky or shorted and resistor values may have crept up from their original specs over the years. The parts to replace the originals are actually pretty cheap and will outlast the originals. Where things get expensive is if you hook up a battery and turn the thing on after all these years without checking any of the above -- causing an expensive domino effect of failure of the good parts left because of the others that are shorted/ open/ leaky/ different values. Radio Daze and Antique Electronic Supply are two good sources for parts and the guys at the above mentioned forum are experts at walking you through the repairs should you decide to do it yourself. Good luck.

Chris

thanks alot chris..........