Vacuum Tank '48 LC

b6vt

I have had the v tank on my LC leak tested and I am ready to to reinstall. The hoses had been cut and the tank was disconnected when I got the car--so can anyone out there give me a verbal on how to reconnect it. There are 2 sizes of hose.

Thanks Glenn Lorei (b6vt)

Glenn, looking at the parts book it appears that the smaller (1/4") hose goes from the vacuum tank to the wiper control and should be about 55" long. The larger hose ( about 5/16"?) goes to the manifold vacuum connection and it's about 53" long. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Peecher--you always come thru with the goods. There is no connect point on the intake manifold, there are several plugs. I suppose that placing a fitting on one of those will take care of the vacuum supply. Glenn Lorei (b6vt)

Glenn, The manifold tap behind the carburetor is where the source for the tank should be. the plugged tap in front of the carburetor was used for the distributor vacuum brake on early cars before they started using the tap in the base of the carb for this purpose. Merv Adkins might have the right fitting you'll need if you don't have one. Here's a pic of the 2 fittings used in the post war manifolds. The pic shows the "wiper" tap as 1/4" however I believe the cars with vacuum tanks had a 5/16" tap. You may have to do some "adaption" if you can't find the fitting for the 5/16".

post-31684-143138107881_thumb.jpg