Early 1900's NYPD automobile

Guest Paul Christ

Guest Paul Christ

It appears that the New York Police Department traveled in style way back when. Written across the top of the photo is "Traffic Squad Parade ... Arrival Mayor McClellan". This photo might have been taken on November 5, 1908. What type of car is pictured?

Traffic%20Squad%20Parade,%20November%205,%201908.%20Mayor%20George%20McClellan%20alighting%20from%20auto%20on%20the%20plaza%20at%20Union%20Squa.jpg

The Columbia's radiator is quite different in shape (both top and bottom) to that of the mystery car. Note also that the Columbia doesn't have the protruding plain-bearing front hubs that the mystery car has. Even though the pic is dated 1908, the car would be 1905. It puzzles me why these cars use pleated and buttoned seats. All that does is hide poor quality leather. The best cars had plain seats which required the very best unblemished hides.

That visible lubricator on the dash reminded me of a vehicle I saw in the HCC Gazette , Jan Feb 2008 pages 51 thru 57. It is a dead ringer for an American Mercedes built by Steinway in New York City (Queens). The factory was destroyed by fire in 1907 an not rebuilt. Quite an interesting article and some very good original photos showing the radiator emblem shape, lubricator, etc.. The old FD sure went first class!!

I love the photo. I don't know anything about the car but I find it interesting that all of the officers seem to be either on horses, or on foot. It seems that only the Mayor is worthy of a car. I guess governmental priorities have always been the same.

Guest Paul Christ
I love the photo. I don't know anything about the car but I find it interesting that all of the officers seem to be either on horses, or on foot. It seems that only the Mayor is worthy of a car. I guess governmental priorities have always been the same.

Ha-ha, how true! Thanks for the laugh. :D

Paul

Guest Paul Christ

While searching for more details on the "PDNY" mystery car, I came across the original photo with the following caption;

"Traffic Squad Parade, November 5, 1908. Mayor George McClellan alighting from auto on the plaza at Union Square. 5x7 glass negative, George Grantham Bain Collection. "Max" McClellan, New York mayor from 1904 to 1909, was the son of Civil War general George B. McClellan."

The front bumper has to be a bit of a rareity. When did they switch from PDNY to NYPD?

The columns are interesting as well, I wonder what function they serve?

The columns are supports for the steel structure which can be seen above the officers on the left in the original photo. The picture below shows the columns and steel structure from a different angle;

ironwork.jpg

This car is definitely an S&M Simplex from about 1906-7. 1907 was their last year. The Peerless cars of this era were shaft drive and had angled rather than curved radiator tops. I am sure most people will have a copy of the Standard Catalog of American cars for this era. There is a fairly good pic of a 1906 S&M in there and the following features can be seen. Note that on our mystery car the Mayor is stepping out on to a small step, well above the running board, and there is a small cupboard with a latch between the two - for access to the driving chain. Note also the outer control lever which is well forward. Also the use of ten spoke wheels at the front and 12 spoke wheels at the back. As far as I know, none of these cars has survived.

Thank you for agreeing with me nzcarnerd.

I only claim to be an expert on Loziers, but I do really like all brass era autos too.

It is too bad no examples of the S&M Simplex survived as it looks like a quality car. I also really liked the photos of the Columbia. I bet a factory delivered car never was done that nice.

I was able to locate a picture in my 1907 ALAM under Smith and Mabley Simplex. The car does match very well. I now also think it is a S&M Simplex after all. The American Mercedes had 12 spoke front wheels whereas the Simplex model AA shows 10 spoke front wheels. It has what appears to be the dash lubricator showing also .

It sold for 4950. had four cylinders, 4 1/2 by 5 1/2, four speed transmission and three different wheelbases 106, 111, and 114. The HP rating was 30 -35. The larger model for the year was model DA, but it shows 12 spoke front wheels .

Guest Paul Christ

For comparison, different models of 1905? S&M Simplex autos are shown below.

(These photos were found on Ebay, and are the property of Walter Miller ( www.autolit.com ). I hope that Mr. Miller will not mind me posting his photos here.)

I993a.jpg

I912.jpg

• 6 months later...
Guest Bill Bell

This is definately a 30 hp, 1906, Smith & Mabley Simplex. It is S&M car number 77, purchased from S&M's Malcomb A. Strauss in June of 1906.

I have a front view photo of this car (S&M photo #12764), I believe taken in 1906. It is without the bumper, and with a white on black PDNY license plate.

There were no other sales to the NYC Police Dept. listed in the Smith & Mabley records.

Bill Bell, Simplex historian

3/11/2010