front spring shackle & rear spring block

pepcak

Guys,

does anybody have parts for 1928 Master he can part with

- 1 set of front spring shackle with good thread

- 1 rear spring block, the bronze bushing in mine has gone long time ago and the pin worked in bare steel so any new bushing will not help, the hole is very elliptical

Alternatively, has anybody tried to weld-up these parts so to be able to cut a new thread and cylindrical hole?

Any suggestion welcome.

Thanks Josef

post-42602-143138101112_thumb.jpg

post-42602-143138101115_thumb.jpg

Hi,

seems to me I will be able to handle elliptical holes in the rear spring block and also on the flat part of the front shackle. So if someone can miss the thicker part of the shackle with a good thread please let me know. Only partnumber available is that one depicted above, this is also stamped on the part. Unfortunately I do not have Master part book.

Josef

Shackle 188475 seems to fit from 1924 6cyl.;1925 -1926 Master 6;1927-1928-120-128.

Shackle 208805 fit from ;1928-120-128;1929-121-129.

If the block is a left side and a right side it only fit from 1928-120-128.I don`t have this block number in my parts book.

Leif in Sweden.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi Josef,

It should not be too big a deal to bore the elliptical hole open to cylindrical and insert a custome-made bronze bushing. Success and reliability would depend on how much of the original steel (or is it cast/forged iron??) is still there. If the piece is worn too thin, then breakage would be a concern, and an attempted repair would be unwise.

Cleaning up the 1" thread should be easy enough with a cleaning tap. One can be made pretty easily, or bought.

How about posting or sending good photos of the actual pieces you are working with so that we guys who have sometmes had to make our own parts get a good look at them. Include dimensions where possible.

If it appears that the parts can be rebuilt with a reasonable chance of success, I'll send you a quote. You'll have to pay shipping both ways and you'll have to deal with any customs issues.

Gotta keep those Buicks running!!

--Tom