Scale Model Math

Tom Laferriere

I have a scale model, 1:18 to be specific. If the wheelbase measures 10 3/16", what is actual wheelbase if the car was real? What would 2.75" convert to under 1:18 scale?

I am interested to see the results and would like to know how you arrived at it.

This should be fun...I think

Thanks!

Edited by Tom Laferriere (see edit history)

What would 2.75" convert to

If 1" of the model equals 18" of actual length then 10 3/16" times 18 would yield the length of the actual car. 183.375" (or 183 & 3/8 inches). Converting 2.75" into a common fraction would make it 2 & 3/4" ...........Bob

Tom,

The above calculations ARE correct, yielding 10-3/16 @ 1:18 = 180-3/8 in, or 15ft 3/8in.

The 2.75in converts to 49.5in or 4ft 1-1/2in

NOW, since you feel that these numbers do not properly reflect your model, perhaps the box or directions have been mis-marked.

If the scale is actually 1:12, then the (wheelbase?) 10-3/16 becomes 122-1/4", or 10ft, 2-1/4" and the 2.75" wheel/tire becomes 33", a more reasonable number.

If the scale is other than that, we'll be happy to convert for you -- Happy SPAAMFA

Per wiki:

Children's dollhouses are commonly in 1:18 or 3/4" scale (1 foot is represented by 3/4 inch), while dollhouses for adult collectors are usually in a scale of 1:12 (1 inch equals 1 foot).

See: http://www.modelcars.com/scale.php

Edited by Tom Laferriere (see edit history)

Wiki is often wrong as any person can go in and change history or facts. Don't depend on it.

This might be what you need:

full scale (12 inches = 1 inch)

3/4 scale 1:16 (16 inches = 1 inch)

1/2 scale 1:12 (24 inches = 1 inch)

So, 1:18 scale is ~2/3 scale (.66666667 inch) 18 inches = 1 inch

As said, your model's information is incorrect, because 183.3/8 equals 10 3/16 in 1:18 scale.

I see this is the same information that Barry linked too. Sorry. Didn't read the link before I went and did my math.

Edited by Steve Moskowitz
I just love editing an editor! (see edit history)

It is a little disturbing to me that this is apparently so difficult (Wikipedia??? Really! :eek:).

It's 1:18 scale. That means the real item is 18 times larger than the model (assuming the model is correct). Multiply model dimensions by 18 to get real vehicle dimensions.

Tom,

Perhaps it's best to start at the beginning. What vehicle is the model? Is it new, old, diecast, tin, plastic? A picture would help...

viva_scale_4x-med.jpg

From the top:

Mustang, 1:12

'57 Buick, 1:18

'49 Buick, 1:24

'63 'Vette, 1:25

'57 Chevy, 1:32

'58 Edsel, 1:43

'09 Mercer, @1:48

'59 Chevy, @ 1:64

And down from there.

Unless it's a secret, let us know what the model is, and an approximate build-date, and we can go from there.

TG

Well, something is not right. The only thing with a known measuremant on the model are the tires. The tires on the "real car" are 36" and the model measures 2.75" which puts the model on the 1:13 scale if I am correct. Box is clearly labeled 1:18.

The car doesnt have 49" tires and a 183WB

Cant show the model at this time.

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

My 2 cents worth. I wonder if the "to scale" formula can ever be found to be accurate or even close. I wonder if it isn't an industry (modeling whether it be airplanes/cars, ships) concept to reflect the size of the model generally and not specifically or accurately.

We all know that 1:18 is a larger model then a 1:25, but they never seem 1/3 larger to me.

Because I am not a model collector, I didnt have a another comp. I went and bought a 2001 Corvette 1:18 scale. Putting it next to my supposedly 1:18 scale model, my model is CLEARLY not 1:18. The rim on Corvette model measured exactly one inch and its an 18" wheel. My car is closer to a 1:12, but calculates to 1:13.

Interesting.

Guest Xprefix28truck

Tom, If you like the model (which I presume is why you bought it) Why all the fuss on the scale? No biggie, but what's up?

Because I am not a model collector, I didnt have a another comp. I went and bought a 2001 Corvette 1:18 scale. Putting it next to my supposedly 1:18 scale model, my model is CLEARLY not 1:18. The rim on Corvette model measured exactly one inch and its an 18" wheel. My car is closer to a 1:12, but calculates to 1:13.

Interesting.

If the wheel on the real car is 18", and the wheel on the model is one inch. That is 1 inch = 18 inches and there for it is indeed 1.18th scale.

Would that be considered "faults advertizing" if a manufacturer has incorrectly marked the wrong scale on the box???

I know that many diecast construction, and farm tractor models, and toys, are marked 1/16 scale and have been marked so for many years. Dandy Dave!

I have confirmed MY model is not 1:18 scale, although the box identifies it this way. I wanted to verify the scale because I might want to build a bigger one. For this to work correctly, I needed the actual scale. I know I am being distant about the what model it is, but at this time, I think I need to be. I just wanted an education on scale.

I heard from a toy car collector/maker a while back that the scales on models and toys are calculated in a different way than just 1:18 = 18 times smaller (and other scales). He used to cast up cast iron toys at about 1:20 scale, but they were slightly off. I would not be surprised if the newer ones are figure differently, too....especially since most are made in China now.

I do architectural drafting and it entails a LOT up scaling up and down of things. I have drawn my 1931 Dodge to scale and I am fairly certain that it does not scale up or down like a toy does. Steve is probably right...check with a mass production toy maker...Mattel or some other place may help. Where did they ever come up with 1/43rd scale, anyway??

Guest Siegfried

Thanks Joe P. You're dead on. Al Marvick, a toy collector I met years ago told me actually what you stated as an accurate measurement for a toy to the real thing. Multipy the length, width, depth by the second number and you're on the money. Doesn't matter if its 1 by 18, 24, 32, 43, or 62. It still is accurate.

Tom,

Here's a review of a 1/12th scale model over on another forum to which I contribute.

Danbury Mint 1:12 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air Convertible (1:12th) - Diecast Zone

It's not going to answer your question, but will give an insight of what we collectors are in to.

So, if the scale on your 30" tires is correct, it must be a pretty impressive vehicle. The only way to verify the scale of the rest is to know the 1:1 LOA measurement, divided by the length of the model. But then, you've probably already done this.

Can't wait to see it.

TG

Guest Skyking

Tom, the next time you are in the Cranston area let me know. My father has been making scale models all his life. He'll know your answer, plus you'll love his collection. He's 96 and loves the subject...............

Edited by Skyking (see edit history)

• 4 years later...

If you're interested ,there are several scale computer conversion sites on the internet. I use jimbobwan's conversion and it works quite well. Just search "scale model conversion" and they should come up. 1/18 scale should equal 1 in. equals 18 in. just as 1/6 scale is 1 in.equals 6 inches. What's hard to scale is fractions of an inch when you don't have a scale rule that carries all the fractional marks. I'm trying to build a 1/6 model of my '36 Dodge engine using a regular rule and there's been a lot of close guessing! Sometimes scale parts can look a little out of proportion on a model due to thicknesses of material and types of material used.

Guest Skyking
Tom, the next time you are in the Cranston area let me know. My father has been making scale models all his life. He'll know your answer, plus you'll love his collection. He's 96 and loves the subject...............

Tom, too bad you didn't take me up on this offer. My dad died 2 years ago at 98. He had a wealth of knowledge.

Edited by Skyking (see edit history)

If you're interested ,there are several scale computer conversion sites on the internet. I use jimbobwan's conversion and it works quite well. Just search "scale model conversion" and they should come up. 1/18 scale should equal 1 in. equals 18 in. just as 1/6 scale is 1 in.equals 6 inches. What's hard to scale is fractions of an inch when you don't have a scale rule that carries all the fractional marks. I'm trying to build a 1/6 model of my '36 Dodge engine using a regular rule and there's been a lot of close guessing! Sometimes scale parts can look a little out of proportion on a model due to thicknesses of material and types of material used.

Convert to fractions to decimals. One Inch = 1.000. one half and inch = .500. We do this to machine parts all the time as the machines are set up as decimals. Dandy Dave!

I see this is no longer necessary for your project but some "models" are really more like toys, consider Corgi and Dinky, many of them are similarly sized for play but all different technical scales, this is known as "fit the box" scale to toy collectors. The manufacturers may state they are 1/43 or whatever but they will err on one side or the other, and with toys rather than actual exacting models, or even cheaper models, the wheels and tires are often not matched correctly. Even body work can be incorrect if the car was hand sculpted like earlier models and especially toys were rather than strict proportion such as you achieved with your projection. I have an acquaintance who owns a scale model car company should you like any specific information from him, PM me if so.

Marrs, can you provide a link to your friend's model car company? I would be interested in seeing what he has to offer.

I have over 500 un built scale models in storage and have several dozen completed models here in the house.

Here is an 1/8th scale 1932 Ford I am working on. The car will be displayed in an 1/8th scale shadow box/diorama of a scale garage which will be placed in an old TV cabinet/furniture

post-75225-143142331996_thumb.jpg

post-75225-143142332028_thumb.jpg

Marrs, can you provide a link to your friend's model car company? I would be interested in seeing what he has to offer.

I have over 500 un built scale models in storage and have several dozen completed models here in the house.

Here is an 1/8th scale 1932 Ford I am working on. The car will be displayed in an 1/8th scale shadow box/diorama of a scale garage which will be placed in an old TV cabinet/furniture

Hi, I will send you info in a PM out of respect for his privacy. I've never built 1/8 but have considered it many times, I think I would go crazy (in the good way) getting all the little details just right. Do you customize yours such as change interior materials or even altering coahwork and so on or do a by the book build? I used to really enjoy chopping up my 1:24 cars into limousines, custom cabriolets and so on.