1934 REO Flying Cloud

Guest 1934 REO Flying Cloud

I have a 1934 REO Flying Cloud for sale The car has won at Meadow Brook and is in like new mint condition, totally redone.

This is a one of a kind car.

post-62994-143138097362_thumb.jpg

This will be best marketed at a high stakes classic car auction. Don't take the lack of response on this forum the wrong way.

It continues to amaze me that people spend $120,000 + on restoring a car and then turn around and want to sell it. {I mean no disrespect}

Guest L.C.22

What we spend has no relationship to the value of a car.

Unless some fool looks at this as a business/investment

One reason I quit restoring Porsches ...... Every dollar they spent with me was one less in profit........ just total bullshit

What we spend has no relationship to the value of a car.

Unless some fool looks at this as a business/investment

One reason I quit restoring Porsches ...... Every dollar they spent with me was one less in profit........ just total bull****

L.C. - I understand we always overspend on the cars but I keep mine - at least for awhile - then sell if I want to. It's not about making money on them. But I always see these sorts of ads. On the Cadillac LaSalle Club website for sale ads there is a beautiful 54 Coupe deVille for $50,000 that the seller just restored.

You are so right...This car has a history and has been in our family for many years. It is also a work of art and sorry to say not a porsche.

The car was owned by a very well know radio star and due to my military disabilities I am unable to give the car the TLC it deserves...

With that said, I hope you don't have a problem with my 25 year military career too.

According to the REO club president this is the only one still around and I'm sure there isn't one in this like new condition and trust me this is more of a Jay Leno car and not the run of the mill antique car collectors car. The nice thing about it is it isn't costing me anything and if I never sell it or trade it thats fine. The money spent on this car was a work of love not a business anyone that does that is a FOOL.

You are so right...This car has a history and has been in our family for many years. It is also a work of art and sorry to say not a porsche.

The car was owned by a very well know radio star and due to my military disabilities I am unable to give the car the TLC it deserves...

I appreciate the clarification on ownership duration. I hope you understand that my comment was based on the appearance that you just restored it - then offered it.

Your ad caught my eye because I ran across a 1936 REO Flying Cloud project car about 2 months ago. I suspect you do have the only restored or very nice condition on left. It surely would sell easily and highly at a high stakes collector car auction.

I appreciate the clarification on ownership duration. I hope you understand that my comment was based on the appearance that you just restored it - then offered it.

Your ad caught my eye because I ran across a 1936 REO Flying Cloud project car about 2 months ago. I suspect you do have the only restored or very nice condition on left. It surely would sell easily and highly at a high stakes collector car auction.

This car has a long history with us. This was my mother in laws car she was the orginal "Little Orphan Annie on the radio from 1930-1940" Yes, this car has a real history.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone's right: We restore cars, not expecting a profit, but because we enjoy the hobby. I know of one beautiful 1936 custom-bodied LeBaron coupe, a Grand National Award winner in 2007 or 2008, that just sold for $89,000. The restoration cost was $200,000--not including the purchase of the car itself. (It was auctioned for $75,000 initially but did not sell beacause of the reserve.)

Please tell us the Reo's location and list your phone number. It certainly looks fine in the pictures you posted! These Forum guidelines will not only help prosepective buyers, but should help you the seller too.

• 2 years later...
Guest jeeprat

I have problems with this car having spent my entire life around a 1934 cloud(36 years from the day i was born). Two problems right off the top one of which is the main attraction of the '34.

1. This car has a '33 or a Royal hood. the '34 has a 6 small doors on each side that open..Not a corner you would cut for 120+ thousand dollars.

2. it is missing a pair of horns by the front bumper... again not something you would miss.

Lastly every account I ever came across states that two 1934 Reo Cloud conv. were made... one is green and well known by reo club members and the other is overseas and accounted for... This car tho exciting is not a pure '34. If any Reo fan ever wants to see a '34 cloud untouched 99% original down to the spare tire and tube the car came with... thats my dads car... this is a beaut but has major items wrong...40-45,000 on its best day...

• 11 months later...
I have problems with this car having spent my entire life around a 1934 cloud(36 years from the day i was born). Two problems right off the top one of which is the main attraction of the '34.

1. This car has a '33 or a Royal hood. the '34 has a 6 small doors on each side that open..Not a corner you would cut for 120+ thousand dollars.

2. it is missing a pair of horns by the front bumper... again not something you would miss.

Lastly every account I ever came across states that two 1934 Reo Cloud conv. were made... one is green and well known by reo club members and the other is overseas and accounted for... This car tho exciting is not a pure '34. If any Reo fan ever wants to see a '34 cloud untouched 99% original down to the spare tire and tube the car came with... thats my dads car... this is a beaut but has major items wrong...40-45,000 on its best day...

I know this is an old post, but I agree with this. The car has a few odd things about it. The hood sides are off of an early 1935 REO. There was an early production 1935 model that looked just like the 1934 with the exception of the hood sides. Also the engine in this car has three freeze plugs, which is also something unique to the early 1935 model car and up. The 1934 model REO had two large inspection pans in place of the freeze plugs that were held on with a lot of small bolts. I have only seen the electric choke on 1935 models and never on a 1934 model. The front bumper appears correct to a 1934 model. There should be two horns hanging next to the headlights as well. I've had several 1934 and 1935 Reo Flying Clouds and speak from experience. The car isn't a $100,000 dollar car, but it is still better than the 1934/35 cabriolet that I don't have.

Edited by carlisle1926 (see edit history)

Had to go to my trusty Red Book (Nat'l. Used Car Market Report) to clarify the somewhat dizzying array of REO production intro dates for the '34-'35 models.

Starting on July 27, 1933 was the 1934 SIX, Flying Cloud Six, Model S-2, Serial Numbers 2S 2100 and up, Motor Numbers 2S-2273 and up. This range included the Conv. Cpe. 2-4 pass.

Starting Sept. 1, 1933 was the 1934 SIX Flying Cloud Six, Model S-3, S/N S-3-100 and up, M/N 2-S 2698 and up; only a 2-4 pass. Coupe & 5 pass. Sedan, not relevant to this discussion.

Starting April 24, 1934 was the 1934 SIX, Flying Cloud Six, Model 4S, S/N 4S-100 and up, M/N 4S-10 and up. Bullet points state these had automatic starting and dash instruments under convex glass crystals. This range included the Conv. Cpe. 2-4 pass.

Starting July 1, 1934 was the 1935 SIX, Flying Cloud Six, Model 5S, S/N 5S-28677 and up, M/N 4S-10 and up. This range included both 5-wheel and 6-wheel Conv. Cpe 2-4 pass.

Apparently there's a two-month window between the "second-series" '34's and the intro of the '35's. I'm sure much more is known by REO Club members, but if one is really serious about researching the vagaries of these models, get in touch with (or visit) the AACA Library and see what MoToR or Automobile Topics has on REOs around these intro dates.

Automobile Topics for Jan. 24, 1934 lists both a REO Conv. Std. Coupe ($895) and Conv. Sport Cpe ($970), but these would be prior to the Apr. 24, 1934 production change.

Should be a number of hours of fun research for someone!

TG

• 5 years later...