schebler carburetor Model L

laheyth

• 2 months later...
Guest trainguy

I also have a 13 Overland with the same carb. Is your float broken or missing.If it is broken the can be repaired using Gap filling asocynate glue.If missing can be made from balsa wood coated with asocynate glue.If you can find cork,make sure it is solid cork, not cork made with neoprene such as used in gaskets[does not float properly in gas.]As for gaskets they do not have any that you can,t make or improvise.I have driven my Overland many year without many problems.The carb has proven to be very reliable.You can find the adjustment procedure in the owners manual or old motor manuals.I hope this helps.Feel free to PM me on any questions.

I am in need of a Schebler model L carb if anyone has one to spare.

I have heard that John Deere tractors use a latter Schebler with the same size doughnut float in brass. The pivot tabs have to be modified to retrofit it to the L. I don't know the part number but it is currently available from Deere. Perhaps you could take your old carb & float into a knowledgeable Deere dealer and they may help you. Please post the Number here if you find it.

As an alternative, you can buy a block of cork from Restoration Supply Co. (they are on-line). Be sure to coat the float with either supper glue or Quick-Poly or similar product impervious to gas & alcohol. Cork will eventually become waterlogged if you don't coat it.

I may have misspoken. I looked up on the Yahoo Early Cadillac Group web site. They show a Briggs & Stratten brass carb float # 99333 as a substitute for the 1913/14 Cadillac carb. I don't know what carb was used on the 13 & 14 Cad. Schebler L was used on 11 & 12 Cadillac but I am not certain about a modern John Deere substitute but it might be worth checking out.