HELP! NEED AXLES

Guest wpoll

Guest wpoll

Does anyone out there have a handle on rebuilt axles for the '89 T2?? I called just about everywhere on the planet, and I'm getting the same response. No parts to rebuild 'em. Can't find them new either. I have two torn CV boots, and don't want to drive any further until I can replace. I would consider removing the axles myself, and installing new boots, but have never torn apart an axle, and not sure if I need a press, etc.... Hate to go the 'split boot' route, but may have no choice.......

I tell ya folks, there's gotta be a special place in heaven for us TC owners........:o

Thanks

Wayne

Edited by wpoll
left out info (see edit history)

Guest StudeDude 01

Wayne---I had issues finding an axle back in 2007 for my '89 T2 due to the style and position of the ABS tone wheel on the axle---tried 3 different units but none fit. I was able to get the old unit rebuilt at A-1 Driveshaft located in Baltimore for $99. They do have other locations in other parts of the country. Hope that helps.

Guest BarelyFit

This is a part number Hemi gave me for the front right (passenger):

NCV12539 Axle Shaft. Comes with tone wheel. I do not have any information for the driver side, but that should get you started in the right direction.

There are a couple of info bits I will give you. There are 2 basic differences that I have found. In some instances both axles are the same length. In other installations they are different lengths. I have always been lucky enough to have found all the axles I have looked for. I googled "1/2 shaft" or "CV drive shaft" or used the word Axle in the description. There is a national rebuilder company that supplies the auto supply store industry throughout the country. That is "A-1Cardone" try their website. I have bought them d from almost all the internet auto parts supply companys they have ranged from about $60.00 to $100.00 with free shipping. and a refundable core charge. At this time experience tells me they are readily available. I had but cannot find the Chrysler # for the Boot Kit. until last month it also was available. I'm sure it still is. www.discountautoparts , www.autopartswarehouse.com , www.innerauto.com , are just to name a few. NAPA & Allied are always good too. I never expect all of them to have the not very popular axles in stock all the time; but someone or 2 will always have them. Good Luck, Lou

Edited by LouZ (see edit history)

Reading Alan's reply reminded me: The Dodge Daytona shafts are the same EXCEPT The tone wheel (for the ABS brakes) are different. That is a minor difference that can be changed by any good auto machine shop. The tone wheesl are presses on, and the shop just switches those parts. It is not a hard job to do. I do it myself. ~ BUT ~ If you don't know how I will not explain it; because you would not be experienced enough to try it.

Good Luck, Lou:D

Boot Kit 4505904 Left inner boot (GKN for TC)

Boot Kit 4505907 Right inner boot (GKN for TC)

Boot Kit 4384706 Both Outer Made in England

All kits are for the 89 T2 with the three speed all contain the correct grease. I also replace the transmission output seal and the wheel bearing seal since I am almost there anyway. The service manual contains instructions. You don't need a press. My big warning (learned the hard way a few years ago) don't pull apart the inner CV, you shouldn't need to take it apart unless it's badly contaminated.

-Rich

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Helge Lesch

This is a part number Hemi gave me for the front right (passenger):

NCV12539 Axle Shaft. Comes with tone wheel. I do not have any information for the driver side, but that should get you started in the right direction.

That number is good for both sides.