1909 Maxwell timing gear

jan arnett (2)

I have volunteered to help an elderly gentleman get his 1909 Maxwell running. We have found out that the time gear has a three inch section broken out and the center is split. Has anyone else had this problem. How can I remove the pieces which have fallen in the crankcase? Is there a paper gasket between the cam case and block or is it cork. Right now there is nothing and it is spewing oil all over the place.

It appears that I have to remove the cam lobes and the timing gear. They are pinned on and I would like suggestions on removing the pins. What is the level of oil required in the pan to start up the engine. By the way this is a t 2 cyc. engine.

Thanks for your help.

Jan -- You must by now have the cam case cover off. Remove the timing rod and the timing wires,also the air line going to the oil tank. The cam case should now come up off of the four studs that held the cover on. The cam lobe pins should be tapered and only can be removed one way. a careful inspection will show the direction.Once off you should be able to remove any or all pieces that are in the crankcase. Bear in mind something has gone radically wrong in this engine. I have never seen or heard of a timing gear being broken or damaged to the extent you described. There may be other broken parts in there(ie. broken rod bolt, connecting rod cap,piston skirt, ect) The lower replacement gasket can be a paper matieral of a thickness to achieve the proper backlash in the timing gears. Good luck helping out the gentlemen and keep us posted on the projects progress. Bob

• 3 months later...

Jan,

I would think that the top magneto drive gear has been set up so that it is meshing too deeply into the timing gear and loading the timing gear. The timing gear being the weaker of the 2 has been the one to fail. If there is no gasket between the top cover that carries the magneto gear it might drop the magneto gear into the timing gear enough to cause this. Have you tried Merle S for a replacement gear?

David - Australia