Tach Dwell Meter - Need Instruction Sheet

JD in KC

I purchased this on eBay and I managed to figure out how to use it to measure RPM. It did not come with the instruction manual and I need to check the dwell on a '50 Packard straight 8. Does anyone happen to have the instruction manual for this diagnostic tool that they could scan or photograph and email me a copy?

Thanks!

post-54089-143138093901_thumb.jpg

I am guessing that you did not get all of the leads that came with the meter when it was new. The last meter that I had like yours, I seem to remember like Nick said there would be a red and black for battery and typically a green lead for the coil to check the dwell. I am guessing that the shunt lead might be used to check output for maybe the generator. What other scales are on the meter. That would give you an indication of the different tests that the tool is capable of doing.

Here's the meter face and selector.

Looks like the tests available are:

..RPM hi/lo (this works fine)

..Voltmeter

..Ammeter

..Dwell

..Points good/bad

The plugs for the leads on the box only have two terminals each. I think I'm going to work backwards on this and start with the Motors/Chiltons manuals, and the shop manual for my car and diddle around to see if I can get a logical hook up. Maybe I am missing a test lead ... but I don't think so.

If all else fails, I can use a feeler gauge to set the dwell and just use the box as a tachometer/voltmeter/ammeter. For 99 cents I'm still ahead!

post-54089-14313809439_thumb.jpg

post-54089-143138094392_thumb.jpg

Here is what I was able to find regarding this meter:

Hawk Tune-Up analyzer woes. - martin66

Hi,

I have got a Hawk Tune-Up Analyzer at a boot sale but I don't know how to use it! There are 4 wires coming out, a red and a black with crocodile clips and a red and a black which have bare wires at the end. Can anyone tell me how to connect it?

Thanks,

Martin.

slt

Hawk Tune-Up analyzer woes. - OldSchool54

Martin66, I was looking for instructions on how to connect my Hawk 610 Tune-Up and Diagnostic mini-analyzer, because the page for the basic hook up is missing from my instruction book, the basic hookup is black croc clip to battery ground, the red croc clip to the negative of the coil this is for dwell readings. The other two red and black on yours is missing a shunt bar that will test charging current for alternator or generator. The bar is, was in your case a 3 inch piece of brass with "U" connectors on each end. This analyzer is for cars with points and condenser. Mine still works good

• 2 years later...
Guest vw_hank

Hi, I'm very sorry to drag up A very old thread. I have searched google meny times! and it keeps bringing me back here. I have A Hawk meter identical to the one posted, found at A yard sale for $5 other then one little problem it looks mint! still in the original box, its missing the instructions. I tried to figure out how to git ahold of JD in KC without joining and dragging up this thread, but I couldn't.

The "big problem" with mine is that its missing the plug at the end of the test leads, looks like some one grabed the wires and yanked them, braking the solder joints. then lost the little plug.. I was hoping you could help me out? I need to know witch pin is hot and witch one is ground on the meter? I can git A new plug at radioshack.

also if you ever got A copy of the paper work for it? if you would be wiling to send me A copy? id greatly appreciate it!!!

thanks for any and all help!! and very sorry to drag up the old thread!!

Guest Commodore

OK if you just want to know which is the positive and negitive terminals are. It is simple. Put the meter switch in the Volts position. Then arbitrarily select one of the terminals to be "positive" and connect a lead to it and connect a lead to the other terminal which will be "negitive". Then take a 1.5 volt flashlight battery and then momentarily touch the "positive" lead to the positive terminal of the battery and the "negitive" lead to the negitive terminal of the battery. If the meter tries to read backwards, then the connections on the meter should be reversed. A ampmeter shunt could be figured out I think, but it would be more complicated to do.

If you want a manual, there are three for sale on Ebay right now.

1977 TUNE UP Guide HAWK Car & Truck DOMESTIC & IMPORT | eBay

Vintage 1977 Hawk Tune Up Guide Book Domestic & Import Car and Truck | eBay

Vintage Hawk Tune-Up Guide, 1977, Domestic & Import | eBay

Guest vw_hank

I was weired about frying it by hooking it up reversed, but ya I gees 1.5v ant going to do A lot of damage. Thanks for the help!!

Guest Commodore

I worked in Electronics for years and if I had dime for everytime I hooked up a meter backwards, I would richer than Warren Buffett. It's not going to hurt it.

Guest vw_hank
OK if you just want to know which is the positive and negitive terminals are. It is simple. Put the meter switch in the Volts position. Then arbitrarily select one of the terminals to be "positive" and connect a lead to it and connect a lead to the other terminal which will be "negitive". Then take a 1.5 volt flashlight battery and then momentarily touch the "positive" lead to the positive terminal of the battery and the "negitive" lead to the negitive terminal of the battery. If the meter tries to read backwards, then the connections on the meter should be reversed. A ampmeter shunt could be figured out I think, but it would be more complicated to do.

If you want a manual, there are three for sale on Ebay right now.

1977 TUNE UP Guide HAWK Car & Truck DOMESTIC & IMPORT | eBay

Vintage 1977 Hawk Tune Up Guide Book Domestic & Import Car and Truck | eBay

Vintage Hawk Tune-Up Guide, 1977, Domestic & Import | eBay

And thanks for the links!! I got one of those books :)

• 2 months later...
Hi, I'm very sorry to drag up A very old thread. I have searched google meny times! and it keeps bringing me back here. I have A Hawk meter identical to the one posted, found at A yard sale for $5 other then one little problem it looks mint! still in the original box, its missing the instructions. I tried to figure out how to git ahold of JD in KC without joining and dragging up this thread, but I couldn't.

The "big problem" with mine is that its missing the plug at the end of the test leads, looks like some one grabed the wires and yanked them, braking the solder joints. then lost the little plug.. I was hoping you could help me out? I need to know witch pin is hot and witch one is ground on the meter? I can git A new plug at radioshack.

also if you ever got A copy of the paper work for it? if you would be wiling to send me A copy? id greatly appreciate it!!!

thanks for any and all help!! and very sorry to drag up the old thread!!

Hi vw_hank (and other forum members).

Same here! I've got also a Cal Custom Hawk diagnostic tune-up analyzer, model 610, with the 3 inch shunt bar with "U" connector in place, but without instruction sheet. When I google for it, it brings me here!

Question: Have you manage to get an instruction sheet yet?

Many thanks in advance for responding.

Kind regards, Henny aka Manx (from The Netherlands)

Guest vw_hank

Same here! I've got also a Cal Custom Hawk diagnostic tune-up analyzer, model 610, with the 3 inch shunt bar with "U" connector in place, but without instruction sheet. When I google for it, it brings me here!

Question: Have you manage to get an instruction sheet yet?

Kind regards, Henny aka Manx (from The Netherlands)

some one posted A link to A tune-up book on ebay, and I got it :) I can try and explan it to you or you can git your own, this one is only $2.00

1973 Hawk Tune-Up Guide all models 1962-73, 43 pages | eBay

Heres A nice one for $10.00

1964-1979 Hawk Engine Tune Up Manual Car Truck x | eBay

I know the links wont be good for long, but futcher readers can do a sertch for "Hawk tune-up guide" and thy well find it :)

Edited by vw_hank (see edit history)

I've got a similar tester, but "Micronta" from "Radio Shack", circa 1972 or so. A neat tool! About the only difference is that my black/red leads are connected "internal" rather than having the external connector set-up. Mine is supposed to work with electronic ignitions, too, but that is not apparently "across the board" in nature. I never used it for the voltage/amps use, just the normal tune-up applications.

On our '72 Chrysler with factory electronic ignition, it reads dwell (which it isn't supposed to, or the reading is allegedly inaccurate, but certainly appears to be accurate) but reads rpm at 1/2 of actual, even on the 8 cyl setting. Not a major deal, though.

When checking point dwell, be sure to unhook and plug the vacuum advance line to the distributor. Plus, be aware that you set the points first, then the ignition timing. If you do it "base timing" first and then the "points" second, you'll discover that the base timing will need to be readjusted IF the point dwell changed during the adjustment.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Thanks for the replies vw_hank and NTX5467.

I obtain some information about shipping a 2 USD guide to The Netherlands; it cost me 11 USD to get it at my place... :(

Hank, can you explain some of the main functions of this device or scan those pages and email them to me? Many thanks in advance. My email address is hcjore@hotmail.com

Kind regards, Henny aka Manx

BTW: are you into VW's? I own a authentic Meyers Manx buggy (which I build from scratch in 2005); it is based on a 1964 VW (shortened) pan. If you want, you can check out my website at Project Meyers Manx II - Nederlands eerste authentieke Manx buggy (text is mainly Dutch, sorry about that).

Guest vw_hank

Hi Manx! the 3" shunt is for testing the Alt. I sent you A email :) Yes I love old VW's!! have had many of them over the years,, I have had bugs from 59-74, A 71 tin top camper bus(better known as A weekender in the US), and A 71 type-3 square back..

• 4 months later...
Guest Don Ross
I purchased this on eBay and I managed to figure out how to use it to measure RPM. It did not come with the instruction manual and I need to check the dwell on a '50 Packard straight 8. Does anyone happen to have the instruction manual for this diagnostic tool that they could scan or photograph and email me a copy?

Thanks!

Apparently I am told Cal Custom Hawk was purchased by Actron. com here is a link to the 612/615/620 model: https://app.box.com/s/5a8yi58ksy0mlwl1un9dpx3cve4d4wmy which is very similar. I have the 610 model and the red wire connects to the negative coil terminal the black to the vehicle ground, the shunt is attached to the + alternator terminal and the other end of the shunt is attached to the alternator output. I have a 4 cylinder VW so I double the 8 cylinder readings.

Edited by Don Ross
update broken link (see edit history)

Guest vw_hank

Hay Don Ross, Thanks! I just got a Actron 615 at a loco junk shop like a month ago :) funny I hit a little stretch were i was finding tach/dwell meters and timing guns every time I walked into a second hand store,, LOL. I have about 10 of them now,, I guess I terning into a hoarder LOL..

• 2 years later...
Guest fahed

I've also got a Cal Custom Hawk diagnostic tune-up analyzer, model 610, with the 3 inch shunt bar with "U" connector in place, but without instruction sheet.

Kindly, can anyone send me a scanned copy of the instruction sheet to the following email address: falmarzouqi@ans.adac.ae

Guest Don Ross

I've also got a Cal Custom Hawk diagnostic tune-up analyzer, model 610, with the 3 inch shunt bar with "U" connector in place, but without instructionsheet.

Kindly, can anyone send me a scanned copy of the instruction sheet to the following email address: falmarzouqi@ans.adac.ae

I sent you a link

https://app.box.com/s/5a8yi58ksy0mlwl1un9dpx3cve4d4wmy

to the 612/615/620 you should be able to figure the 610 out from there and my post above: I have the 610 model and the red wire connects to the negative coil terminal the black to the vehicle ground, the shunt is attached to the + alternator terminal and the other end of the shunt is attached to the alternator output. I have a 4 cylinder VW so I double the 8 cylinder readings.

Edited by Don Ross
add information (see edit history)